Xbox One Besides gaming, what are you going to use the XB1 for?

hatmasker

I was reading up on some of the new features. It appears like 4 apps can be running at once and easily switched in between, kind of like a mobile UI. However, only one game can be loaded at a time. A little ironic since it's a game system. The apps are supposed to be able to be snapped to the side of the screen so you can access them no matter what you are doing.

Does this sell you on the Xbox One more or do you not really care about the extras?

http://www.destructoid.com/xbox-one-interface-is-clean-uncluttered-262315.phtml

Last edited by a moderator:
The reason you can't run two games at once are that it would bring the console to halt since they are running on the same OS and using the same memory cache. Besides you can still match-make while in a different game, so that's a pretty good compromise.

I have no problem with only running 1 game at a time and 4 apps.. I mean even on my pc I don't run 2 games at the same time only one :). So I wouldn't expect a console to do more.

Some reason I was thinking you could run 2 games at a time and switch between almost like you would a tv channel. But not really that sad to see that no longer existent since I can't really see why I would hardly ever use that feature. I like being able to switch to the apps though. One of my fav additions to the xbox.

Some reason I was thinking you could run 2 games at a time and switch between almost like you would a tv channel. But not really that sad to see that no longer existent since I can't really see why I would hardly ever use that feature. I like being able to switch to the apps though. One of my fav additions to the xbox.

You can still play one game while match-making on a different one. You can even do this via Smart Glass!

You can still play one game while match-making on a different one. You can even do this via Smart Glass!

That confuses me a bit. So I can do matchmaking on Halo and then switch to say Red Dead Redemption and then switch back to Halo once I'm in a game?

Ahhh gotcha. Well that is quite awesome though with matchmaking time being quite short these days hopefully it can still be put to use :)

2 games at the same time? The console would blow up, besides, why would you want to play two games at a time? Talking on skype or watching TV and playing make more sense.

I was reading up on some of the new features. It appears like 4 apps can be running at once and easily switched in between, kind of like a mobile UI. However, only one game can be loaded at a time. A little ironic since it's a game system. The apps are supposed to be able to be snapped to the side of the screen so you can access them no matter what you are doing.

Does this sell you on the Xbox One more or do you not really care about the extras?

http://www.destructoid.com/xbox-one-interface-is-clean-uncluttered-262315.phtml

They're bringing way too much of Windows 8 into this... It's starting to bug me.

Anyway, no this does not sell the Xbox One more to me. It just makes me want it less. I want the Xbox for gaming, not everything else.
It's fine to have nice features for apps and such, but at least correlate those nice features to the gaming as well.

They're bringing way too much of Windows 8 into this... It's starting to bug me.

Anyway, no this does not sell the Xbox One more to me. It just makes me want it less. I want the Xbox for gaming, not everything else.
It's fine to have nice features for apps and such, but at least correlate those nice features to the gaming as well.

I think it is correlated to gaming since you can do things like bring up a wikiguide on IE while gaming and snap it side-by-side.

To be honest I don't care if it can't run 2 games at once. I usually just play 1 game at a time anyways. But switching between Netflix and gaming without any delay? Now to that I say bring it on!

That's actually pretty amazing, as I tend to switch between them currently and it takes such a long time to do so. So that indeed is a welcome addition.

To be honest I don't care if it can't run 2 games at once. I usually just play 1 game at a time anyways. But switching between Netflix and gaming without any delay? Now to that I say bring it on!

That's actually pretty amazing, as I tend to switch between them currently and it takes such a long time to do so. So that indeed is a welcome addition.

Absolutely! Being a father and husband and not having cable tv we rely on streaming video like Netflix. This means our Xbox 360 is using Netflix a lot! Being able to instantly switch from my game to netflix when my Wife comes into the room handing my our baby (meaning I no longer have a controller in my hand) is awesome! I'll be able to instantly switch using just my voice, no waiting or frustrating, no having to find a save point in the game, etc.

For people with families, this instant switch ability is super super awesome!

On the topic of 4 apps running simultaneously: I'm hoping it works in a way that we can have music apps running in the background (like Pandora) while playing a game. This is how it works on Windows Phone and Windows 8. I can think of quite a few uses for the multiple app stuff right now. It would save me a ton of time swapping between apps.

You mean like being able to snap Battlelog into your Battlefield 4 games?

Or being able to matchmake while watching TV and not having to change inputs, etc?

Or being in an app and being able to move right into a game?

How about custom soundtracks? I loved that feature in the Xbox 360. It's nice to see it can expand to music services on XBL as well.

I don't understand this "they need to focus only on games and nothing else". That's what a Sega Genesis did because back in the day that's all it needed to do was play games. In 2013, they need to do more to appeal to more people.

The extra functions are the exact reason I am GOING with the Xbox One and not another console.

I agree about the Netflix and Hulu stuff, we use the consoles for that stuff when not gaming :)

It was obvious, it's been a while now. Microsoft has pushing us towards Windows 8, softwares/applications that only work on Windows 8, Windows phone, and now the Xbox... But like you, if I'm gonna buy this console, I'll only do it for gaming, but I will give the other features a try :)

You mean like being able to snap Battlelog into your Battlefield 4 games?

Or being able to matchmake while watching TV and not having to change inputs, etc?

Or being in an app and being able to move right into a game?

How about custom soundtracks? I loved that feature in the Xbox 360. It's nice to see it can expand to music services on XBL as well.

I don't understand this "they need to focus only on games and nothing else". That's what a Sega Genesis did because back in the day that's all it needed to do was play games. In 2013, they need to do more to appeal to more people.

The extra functions are the exact reason I am GOING with the Xbox One and not another console.

The One is something that people will have to have in their homes or see in someone else's home to really appreciate. It's bringing features to the home media experience that you really didn't even know you would want until that fatal moment when it stops working and you're wailing at the sky hoping that it was you and not the console.

As more YouTube videos and reviews of the next new thing someone see they can do with it, the popularity will increase just that much more and more developers will become exclusive.

I think it is correlated to gaming since you can do things like bring up a wikiguide on IE while gaming and snap it side-by-side.

By correlated to gaming, I meant, for example, not being able to have two games loaded at the same time but you can have more than one app up. I know it takes more processing and such but still, it'd be nice if they're adding the feature. I do see the availability it brings up for some users.

It was obvious, it's been a while now. Microsoft has pushing us towards Windows 8, softwares/applications that only work on Windows 8, Windows phone, and now the Xbox... But like you, if I'm gonna buy this console, I'll only do it for gaming, but I will give the other features a try :)

Exactly. It's been pretty obvious they were going to but I wanted to think otherwise. I'm hoping it works out better for the Xbox than on the PC...

I'm not into the extras at all. I am buying one for the gaming experience. I think the games will suffice. I don't need television, music, internet etc from the one. I have computers, mp3 players, web browsers on a whole bunch of other devices. To me, it is all about the games.

I really dont care about the extras and i REALLY hope they dont focus on making it so involved with other media that it takes away from the gaming aspect. From what ive been hearing everyones been complaining that theyre sort of making it into a media station instead of a gaming console, but then Microsoft said they werent going to do that or something. Either way i really hope they focus on the main reason people get the Xbox. Gaming!

Back