Xbox One Besides gaming, what are you going to use the XB1 for?

You mean like being able to snap Battlelog into your Battlefield 4 games?

Or being able to matchmake while watching TV and not having to change inputs, etc?

Or being in an app and being able to move right into a game?

How about custom soundtracks? I loved that feature in the Xbox 360. It's nice to see it can expand to music services on XBL as well.

I don't understand this "they need to focus only on games and nothing else". That's what a Sega Genesis did because back in the day that's all it needed to do was play games. In 2013, they need to do more to appeal to more people.

The extra functions are the exact reason I am GOING with the Xbox One and not another console.

I'm not saying that "they need to focus only on games and nothing else". There are many Xbox users out there that don't just game on it.
However, I do believe they could put more into the gaming aspect of it than everything else. Yes, I do understand some of this can work for gaming too.

Maybe I'll change my mind once it's out, but I really could care less about multiple apps, etc. If I sit down to play a game, I want to play that game. I'm going to focus on that game. If I want FB, I'll pause my game and go on my computer and check Facebook, but seriously? If I'm playing a game I don't really want to be bothered with FB or other stuff anyways. It just seems like a little bit of overkill to me. Like I said, I may change my mind though. Who knows?

The important thing to remember is that its called XBOX ONE for a reason, it has been designed and developed as the all-in-one machine. Microsoft has it's hardcore gamer following and now it wants the casual market as well.

I really dont care about the extras and i REALLY hope they dont focus on making it so involved with other media that it takes away from the gaming aspect. From what ive been hearing everyones been complaining that theyre sort of making it into a media station instead of a gaming console, but then Microsoft said they werent going to do that or something. Either way i really hope they focus on the main reason people get the Xbox. Gaming!

That is exactly my concern too. Why doesn't Microsoft listen to gamers like us more often? I guess we are a little too traditionalist for the entertainment industry in 2013, eh? I really think they might make mistakes by spreading themselves too thin with all of these "one" entertainment components and forget about what matters: the fun factor of the actual games. I am glad I have found someone who shares the same sentiment.

Multitasking is good! Glad to hear we'll be allowed to have various apps running along with a game.

That is exactly my concern too. Why doesn't Microsoft listen to gamers like us more often? I guess we are a little too traditionalist for the entertainment industry in 2013, eh? I really think they might make mistakes by spreading themselves too thin with all of these "one" entertainment components and forget about what matters: the fun factor of the actual games. I am glad I have found someone who shares the same sentiment.

I guess maybe we are just stuck in the strictly gaming times but lets face it. If they add more apps and software that isnt needed for gaming into the Xbox it WILL in some way, run the games slower and could worsen your gaming experience. I just feel like with it being a next gen console, its a HUGE thing and they really shouldnt be trying to turn it into a media center. Sure there are lots of casuals, but i suggest they just keep it how it is now. Let people choose if they want a bunch of random apps and such and leave the people who dont want any of it out of it.

The only reason i think this is useful is if you don't have your computer next to you and you need to browse the web, maybe looking for a guide for a game, while you play the game, but still, is rare to not have my laptop near me.

I guess maybe we are just stuck in the strictly gaming times but lets face it. If they add more apps and software that isnt needed for gaming into the Xbox it WILL in some way, run the games slower and could worsen your gaming experience. I just feel like with it being a next gen console, its a HUGE thing and they really shouldnt be trying to turn it into a media center. Sure there are lots of casuals, but i suggest they just keep it how it is now. Let people choose if they want a bunch of random apps and such and leave the people who dont want any of it out of it.

You are correct. We are paying the price for the interests of others. I guess it is a sacrifice that we are going to have to make from here on out. I usually march to the beat of my own drummer and this is no different. They are really banking on One being an entertainment center that is suitable for anyone in the family to use, not just the family's hardcore gaming nerd.

The only reason i think this is useful is if you don't have your computer next to you and you need to browse the web, maybe looking for a guide for a game, while you play the game, but still, is rare to not have my laptop near me.

Most people have some sort of mobile, web-enabled device near them at all times now. That's part of the reason why I don't understand why microsoft is hell bent on making One into an all in one entertainment center. I always have my laptop near my console. I always have my phone near my console. It's 2013, this is how we do things.

I wouldn't really care that the Xbox one could do other extra things but it never appealed to me. The way that these new console always have extra things to attract costumers never really got me to buy them. It was always the game part of it that made me buy these things. I usually only use it to play games because if I had anything else I wanted to do, I would go to my computer which is near my consoles.

This is completely fine in my opinion. Decent multitasking on a console is great. This is not the main selling point but is definitely a nice feature to have.

This is completely fine in my opinion. Decent multitasking on a console is great. This is not the main selling point but is definitely a nice feature to have.

Well they are marketing the console with it in mind. I guess that is why they chose the moniker "xbox ONE". Meaning that it is an all in one entertainment unit. We'll have to see how much they focus on the non-gaming functions and then decide.

Back