Xbox 360 Cleaning Scratched Games

Epicfied

Do you ever use anything to clean up scratched games to try to fix them?

Recently I was going to borrow the first Assassin's Creed from a friend. He had it but said it was completely scratched.
I used a scratch remover repair kit thing I had from years ago and it seems to clear it up some. I've not tried to play yet though.

I usually do the standard 'wipe it with alcohol' from the centre outwards, but I recently found out that rubbing toothpaste over the scratch works really well as well. I have yet to try the latter, though, so be careful.

I already heard about rubbing toothpaste, heating the disk and then applying the toothpaste, putting the disk on a microwave with some special liquid, rubbing a banana (no, seriously: How To Remove CD Scratches With A Banana - YouTube).

What i would recommend is for you to get one of those buffering machines to clean your disks, or at least take better care of them.

I already heard about rubbing toothpaste, heating the disk and then applying the toothpaste, putting the disk on a microwave with some special liquid, rubbing a banana (no, seriously: How To Remove CD Scratches With A Banana - YouTube).

What i would recommend is for you to get one of those buffering machines to clean your disks, or at least take better care of them.

I rarely run into one of my games getting scratched, but it happens. It can happen just because of being played so much.
I've never heard the tooth paste remedy though. It makes sense though. I have heard the banana trick, never tried it.

I've tried a lot of different methods, from simple cleaning to the toothpaste method, and I've found that if the basic wet rag cleaning didn't work, neither would anything else, but that's just my experience. I've had varying degrees of success with going to get my games buffed, and while that's a last-ditch option, it's also better than having a useless disc.

Yeah, I basically use the standard method of using alcohol to clean my game disc. For the majority of the time, it usually works great for me, but I'm sure we have all encountered a certain game disc that just can't be cleaned well enough to ever work again. From what I hear, their is a device specially made to deal with scratched disc, so if no home made methods work, I suggest looking into that and see if it will work.

I keep my discs in their box or in a sleeve to prevent scratches, but if they get them I carefully buff them with alcohol or hand sanitizer. When they doesn't work I break out the cd repair kit and that works really, really well.

Yeah, I basically use the standard method of using alcohol to clean my game disc. For the majority of the time, it usually works great for me, but I'm sure we have all encountered a certain game disc that just can't be cleaned well enough to ever work again. From what I hear, their is a device specially made to deal with scratched disc, so if no home made methods work, I suggest looking into that and see if it will work.
For this game specifically, it's only $10 so it's not a major concern. He was does playing it and I wanted to borrow it before I give up and just buy it. Worth a shot, eh?

I keep my discs in their box or in a sleeve to prevent scratches, but if they get them I carefully buff them with alcohol or hand sanitizer. When they doesn't work I break out the cd repair kit and that works really, really well.

I've actually never used alcohol to clean any of my games... I'm not sure why. I've used like... the spray glasses cleaner which has some but not much.
I really like the cd repair kit as well though, it usually works well for me.

You might think this is nasty but its an old school trick that actually works. Clean the dust and smudges off the disc with a cloth, like for glasses or something. Take your finger and run it against your forehead and hairline. Wipe the grease onto the disc and buff it in to the scratch.

You don't know how many times I have done this over the years.

You might think this is nasty but its an old school trick that actually works. Clean the dust and smudges off the disc with a cloth, like for glasses or something. Take your finger and run it against your forehead and hairline. Wipe the grease onto the disc and buff it in to the scratch.

You don't know how many times I have done this over the years.
When I think old school, I think of blowing into cartridges. Why can't it be that easy?
I've actually never done what you said though. Maybe I'll try it.

I usually don't bother. If the game is so badly scratched that it won't play, I just... don't bother. I mean, when I do try to fix them up with whatever crazy method I find on the internet, I end up just damaging the disc even more. So sad.

I usually don't bother. If the game is so badly scratched that it won't play, I just... don't bother. I mean, when I do try to fix them up with whatever crazy method I find on the internet, I end up just damaging the disc even more. So sad.

Well if you can't play them, what's it hurt to try? All it takes is a few minutes and hey, if it works, then you have a method for future games.

Well if you can't play them, what's it hurt to try? All it takes is a few minutes and hey, if it works, then you have a method for future games.

I guess, but it always fails so I usually don't waste my time or ask someone else. Sometimes I try to fix thing but I end up just breaking them further. I once tried to change my PSP's case and ended up damaging the screen, for example. So yeah, I just have bad luck with trying to fix things.

I've actually never used alcohol to clean any of my games... I'm not sure why. I've used like... the spray glasses cleaner which has some but not much.
I really like the cd repair kit as well though, it usually works well for me.

To be clear I generally use rubbing alcohol - but occasionally I've used Vodka and I don't really recommend it depending on how old the disc is and the level of present damage. That said I have also used Windex, saline, and once a mixture of witch hazel/gelatin. But yeah cd repair kits are boss for these kinds of problems.

I guess, but it always fails so I usually don't waste my time or ask someone else. Sometimes I try to fix thing but I end up just breaking them further. I once tried to change my PSP's case and ended up damaging the screen, for example. So yeah, I just have bad luck with trying to fix things.

Oh, I see. Makes sense. I always like trying to fix something just because I tend to have luck or just don't make it worse.

To be clear I generally use rubbing alcohol - but occasionally I've used Vodka and I don't really recommend it depending on how old the disc is and the level of present damage. That said I have also used Windex, saline, and once a mixture of witch hazel/gelatin. But yeah cd repair kits are boss for these kinds of problems.
I assumed rubbing alcohol just because that's the general for cleaning purposes. As I said before, I love the repair kits.

As others many have pointed out, buffing machines simply will not repair too deep of scratches. If they are light surface scratching, the disc should play anyway. Disc buffing machines are honestly the worst, though. In fact, it just makes the disc worse off.

The trick with the grease (as previously stated), does work though. Glad someone else knows that! :D

As others many have pointed out, buffing machines simply will not repair too deep of scratches. If they are light surface scratching, the disc should play anyway. Disc buffing machines are honestly the worst, though. In fact, it just makes the disc worse off.

The trick with the grease (as previously stated), does work though. Glad someone else knows that! :D
I generally don't use disk buffers. Never really needed to nor did I want to. Places like Family Video do, but that's on them, not me.

I didn't know it either. I'm glad someone mentioned it since it's not super common.

Great news guys. Last night we tested the Assassin's Creed disk and it's working great.
Before, it would freeze after the first big cut scene. Now it goes through at least half the game (we didn't finish it of course). Yay disk repair kits!

These are all great ideas. I'm going to have to use a few of them, because despite keeping the games in sleeves, a few have still gotten scratched in moves or when they fell out of the sleeves.

I get a piece of clean cloth, lick the tip of it, and wipe it on the scratched surface. For better results, I brush my teeth first before licking the cloth. I used a disc cleaner before too. Turns out that both methods are just the same when it comes to effectiveness.

Back