Xbox One Coinstar to "Pay Out" Xbox Live Codes

jstep

Former Moderator
From
The D
Rixty, a cash-based payment platform developed for use with online games and digital goods, is now an official Xbox Live Gift Cards and Gold Memberships code wholesaler. The company has partnered with a handful of services – including Coinstar and companies offering loyalty program rewards — to bring Xbox currency codes to consumers in a new way. Companies interested in joining the endeavor, which will allow them to dispense Xbox Live and Windows Phone Store codes and gift cards to their audiences, can team up with Rixty.
Rixty will offer Xbox Live gift cards in price points from $5 to $100, which can be redeemed on players' Xbox console or in the Windows Store on phone, PC or tablet. One example of Rixty's partnership is its use of Coinstar kiosks: players who use Coinstar kiosks to deposit coins for bills can select the gift card or e-certificate option and have their loose change converted into an Xbox Live currency voucher.

I have to say that I'm actually digging this. I think it's a great move by Microsoft to "sell" more XBL codes. I personally have never used a Coinstar machine since I don't want to give them my 8% or whatever they charge, but I see people using them all of the time. I can see a lot of people redeeming their change for XBL Codes. What do you guys think? Would you use a Coinstar machine for XBL codes?

Source: Polygon

i use to use a coin star allot. now i live off a plastic card so i donthave change everywhere.

iirc it is 6% they get. but all in all its not a bad move. it was proably aimed more towards parents. they have a coffee cup full of change and the kid wants soemething so they cash out and give the points up to the kid.

I use coinstar about once a year. I always get nasty looks from the bank teller when I bring them $400 worth of change.
Good way to entice me to get some M$.

They only charge the service fee if you get cash back. If you select a giftcard it gives you the full amount.

This is interesting. I would still prefer the cash, but I can see how this would be useful. This would be great for kids who scrounge up the change in their house and want to get something off of Xbox Live. Much better than actually paying for a points card in change.

A nice little thing i guess, even thought it's the first time i heard about this service. Might be good for both sides if this helps gamers with their online needs.

I am very excited about this! I usually hate the 8% fee from coinstar, but I don't care if it means I can get xbox live. It just seemed like a waste of time cashing in my coins and would roll them, but now that seems like a waste of time. I hope this happens to the coinstar machine near me.

A nice little thing i guess, even thought it's the first time i heard about this service. Might be good for both sides if this helps gamers with their online needs.

Really? They've been around for over 20 years.

How cool is this? I use CoinStar a lot, just to cash in change that is sitting around so that it can be used, but I never thought about purchasing Xbox Live giftcards with it. That's actually a pretty smart idea and to be honest, I think I will definitely take advantage of this. It's a great way to get online tine giftcards for friends and family without having to put my credit card information online. Yes, I was part of the community at Sony that got hacked, so I am a little sensitive to this.

I don't ever use Coinstar because I refuse to pay to have my change turned into dollar bills -- that's what a checking account is for! It was a pretty creative thought on the part of the people at Rixty, though; I will give them that.

thats not a bad idea at all. Though like other said, I prefer taking my change to the bank. Used to get paid in cash, and carry lots of cash. Made a habit of putting change into a jar.

We took it to the bank last year before we went to Italy. it was $1400...

I never use Coinstar now and this will not make me use them in the future. I'm sure this will be great for Microsoft though for the people who already use Coinstar, but I never have change on me anyway since I just use my card. Only thing I pay for in cash is gas and I prepay that in whole dollars and never get cash back. Even when I do end up with some change my kiddo gets it anyway so no Coinstar for me.

Back