Xbox 360 Disc, Or Download?

AB9100

How are you going buy your games?

I personally like the idea of downloading my games, because disc scratch, and break rather easily. Downloading them would eliminate that problem all together. You can store them on HDD, and keep them forever.

Even if something were to happen to the HDD. You can still download it from the game store. There is really no advantage to buying a physical.

How are you going to buy your games?

How are you going buy your games?

I personally like the idea of downloading my games, because disc scratch, and break rather easily. Downloading them would eliminate that problem all together. You can store them on HDD, and keep them forever.

Even if something were to happen to the HDD. You can still download it from the game store. There is really no advantage to buying a physical.

How are you going to buy your games?

Hey!

I love the idea of downloading games but for those of us still with a slow internet connection (most of Australia) the idea is better than the reality at this stage.

For example, I purchased my xbox one as the titanfall bundle about 3 weeks ago, I got home from the store excited to play to discover that the game was a digital copy, no worries I thought and proceeded to download the game. I stated the download at about 5pm on the Friday night and it was ready to play by Sunday morning!!

I actually went out and bought a copy of assassins creed 4 just so I could play on the Saturday, I put the disc in and immediately I was informed that it needed a 2.4GB update, all in all I was able to play my first game at about 5pm on the Saturday night after having owned the xbox one for over 24 hours.

As I mentioned, I love the idea of downloading games whenever I feel like it but for me there are two issues.

1) the massive game sizes and slow download times if like me you are on a slow internet connection.

2) the price of the games is the same, if not more, digital than they are for the physical disc copy.

For now I'm going to be sticking to buying discs.

I've had hiccups with downloads. A couple games I purchased on Xbox Live mysteriously disappeared. Since then, I've preferred physical copies. As long as you're careful with them, it's not a problem, and far less infuriating than "losing" $120 worth of games!

I'm not so stoked when it comes to downloading games since I have a very horrible internet connection and downloading a game will take about 8-10 hours to finish one. But I much prefer discs, since I love to collect games and it feels great to glance at your collection once in a while, and besides, game discs are much convenient for me, and I don't to download the whole game again in the instance that my console broke or something.

I love downloading my video games now because I hate when I buy a video game and the disc gets damaged and that is the end of my video game. Lately all of the games that I have been buying have been downloaded. I like it because I don't have to physically go to a video game store and neither do I have to wait for it to arrive like when i purchase my video games on the internet. I simply LOVE IT!

I primarily stick to physical discs unless a console game I like is being offered for free or I'm getting a PC game. I always get my portable games digital so I can always have a few on me at all times instead of carrying a bunch around, but for console it's discs. I also collect RPGs and a few other genres I like so I like to have the game and case and to be able to sell games I'm not going to play anymore.

A few of the things about collecting is looking over your collection, remembering how much fun you had playing a game, looking at the artwork, and comparing collections with others. Digital doesn't come close to that at all.

I prefer discs for console and handheld, but never considered MetalSwift's point of digital for handheld. I might pursue that.

I like digital games for convenience sake, but I still prefer to have physical. Plus the prices have yet to reflect the medium and I can buy physical games used for less. Digital games can drop in price and still be more than the used version of game.

I digital, but I kind of hate being stuck with games I would normally sell when I'm done.

I've had hiccups with downloads. A couple games I purchased on Xbox Live mysteriously disappeared. Since then, I've preferred physical copies. As long as you're careful with them, it's not a problem, and far less infuriating than "losing" $120 worth of games!

How can you lose them?

When you buy a digital game it is linked to your account, and you can download it again. If the download is interrupted, or if something happens to your hard drive. You can never really lose them. i am truly surprised that they allowed this.

Simply because they are going to lose a significant source of income from people who break, or scratch their games.

Yeah I don't understand how you can lose a downloaded game. I have never had that problem. I think that once you have purchased a game that no matter if you have deleted that game from your hard drive the minute that you go back to download it it should be there still available to download without having to pay for it again. I just love downloading the games because it is more convenient especially when you have to travel.

You can't lose games. Like AB9100 and gamejunkie said, they're always linked to your account when you purchase them.

I would much rather do discs. I like being able to get some money back from a game after I beat it instead of just uninstalling it. I also like being able to display my connection and look at the info from the cases and stuff. Im gonna try to stay old school with that as long as I can.

I would much rather do discs. I like being able to get some money back from a game after I beat it instead of just uninstalling it. I also like being able to display my connection and look at the info from the cases and stuff. Im gonna try to stay old school with that as long as I can.

Same here on the collection and selling games I'm done with. Some games you've completed you're good and done. You're not going to play it again and you know it. Might as well sell it.

Actually, when you download games, you're buying an unlimited "rental" of the game. But the company is under no obligation to host that game forever. My brother and I both got the free Yaris Racing game, which it wasn't that great but fun for a few minutes. He recently got a newer Xbox 360 and went to redownload his games that are "Linked" as you say to his account, and that game is no longer available. I have a problem with paying $60 for a game and I have no guarantee that it'll still be there in say 10 years when I want to play again, or show my kids or friends. That's why having a physical copy is so much better.

That was the same issue--we bought a new console, went to download games, and bam, they weren't there. Trust me, I tried to iron that issue out, and tech support couldn't figure it out what happened, either. Just goes to show you should be careful to back things up if you download games.

It's kind of 50/50, I enjoy downloading them because obviously you don't need to put the disc in. Downloads don't scratch, and you can always re-download it. But, the games in the xbox store are always full price. While at target or amazon they often have it for like 30%-70% sometimes off! So it's kind of a scramble, along with the fact that discs have the collectors edition etc.

I think the most important advantage to digital would be that there's no restriction as to how much a developer can put into their games and work with. With disc there's only so much to work with. A lot can be done, yes, but more can be done without being bound to a medium.

It's kind of 50/50, I enjoy downloading them because obviously you don't need to put the disc in. Downloads don't scratch, and you can always re-download it. But, the games in the xbox store are always full price. While at target or amazon they often have it for like 30%-70% sometimes off! So it's kind of a scramble, along with the fact that discs have the collectors edition etc.

I think if games went digital only there would have to be a lot more discounts...and not the discounts we regularly see where it's $10 off only on a game that really shouldn't be $59.99 without box art.

Back