Does anyone else hate the voice chat feature?

Joker99352

From
Washington
I know we've all encountered little teenagers yelling obscenities into the mic, but besides that I personally don't like the voice chat feature. Usually people just talk over you, and when they don't they tend not to respond to anything you say directly. There are some exceptions, though, like when people give out helpful suggestions that are for the well-being of the team. Those are pretty rare in my experience, though. I haven't used the voice chat since I had the original Xbox because my headset would malfunction and mostly create static, and everyone would start saying "What's that noise?" I'm not against having it as a feature; I just don't like it, myself.

Not a fan of it myself so you're not alone there. I haven't really used voice chat in a long time. People sometimes ask if I have a mic and usually message them saying "Nope" even though I do, but I never plug it in.

I love it only when I am in a group with friends. When I play alone I don't turn my headset on unless a person starts talking or trying to be productive. But that's a rare event so normally my headset is off when I am playing alone.

I think it's a good option for anyone in to that side of things. I have tried it a little bit in the past but I just got annoyed at all the immature people on there. Lots of abuse been passed between players, that's mostly what it seems to consist of. Sometimes it can be hilarious though, but I can't say I'm much of a fan of the voice control system overall.

I haven't used it in a while, but I remember quickly trying to mute everyone I could while the game was loading in Halo haha. It was great for talking to friends I'm playing with, but hearing everything other kid screaming or blaring heavy metal music into their mics was not fun. If I recall one of the later Halos had a nice quick "mute all" button, I was a big fan of that feature.

The chat feature is great IMO. My closest friends are those who I speak to every night on Xbox Live. If we come across any abusive teenagers, rather than argue back we always have a little fun with them. Making them rage even more is entertaining in an odd way :)

There are youtubers dedicated to this stuff. People like MinnesotaBurns like to embarrass teenage kids in front of an audience. They deserve it though, I've met some real obnoxious people on XBL. Was not a great experience since I feel that arguing back would be useless. They would just throw out all the curses they know to you. I'm convinced that I lost a few brain cells when I hear those people.

Like the others said, I basically only use it when I'm with my friends.

I think chatting in general can be useful. When I play Team Fortress 2 on my computer (or just about any team-based game), I like to use the team chat to let people know where the enemies are (or what they're doing) without alerting the other team members. My friends and I don't really play on Xbox live, so we don't really use the voice chat, but we used to very briefly when one of my friends moved out of state.

Why would you get rid of it? Thats the best part of online gaming.

Games like Call of Duty do a good job adding features for you to mute everyone or select people.

There are youtubers dedicated to this stuff. People like MinnesotaBurns like to embarrass teenage kids in front of an audience. They deserve it though, I've met some real obnoxious people on XBL. Was not a great experience since I feel that arguing back would be useless. They would just throw out all the curses they know to you. I'm convinced that I lost a few brain cells when I hear those people.

Like the others said, I basically only use it when I'm with my friends.

Seeing how his stuff is setup, I'm sure he could figure a way to do his videos with external methods. lol

Seeing how his stuff is setup, I'm sure he could figure a way to do his videos with external methods. lol

External methods? Like staging the video instead of actually finding little kids and embarrassing them? I may be completely be wrong, but if I am, could you elaborate on what you mean by that?

Not little kids, but bratty teenagers who shouldn't be playing to begin with. Not just embarrassing them, but somehow convincing them to stop being so freakishly annoying.

Also, I'm not proposing getting rid of it. But I disagree that it's the best part because clearly it's an issue that people are divided on. I do appreciate when games let you mute all microphone sounds altogether, because I generally find it distracting even when people aren't being obnoxious.

Doesn't bother me at all I don't have any problems with the other gamers and they hear me clearly I hear them and they all i mature and most of them listen and then cut back I rarely encountered anyone talking over me or yelling.

Oh no. I don't hate the feature... I just happen to hate most of the people using the feature. Most of them have apparently never had home-training and it shows. There is no need for all the profanity. There is no need for personal insults. There is no need to brag, when you completely suck. There is no need for chatter when we're supposed to be laying an ambush... Seriously, just shut up unless we're tracking someone or trying to play Left4Dead or something.

I think it's necessary, and it's optional to boot. You have the power to mute what you don't want to hear, and communication is pivotal in many games. I know you acknowledge this, and you're saying you generally have negative experiences with it, but nothing can undermine the fact that it is important.

I remember a guy yelling at me about sucking or something after I killed him on Halo 2. I just never got anything valuable out of the voice chat, myself. Usually I could only hear a word here or there because so many people were talking at once, and I couldn't even tell who was talking most of the time. The other thing is that I don't care to talk, myself, so it's a pretty one-sided thing anyway.

I'm not saying it should be removed, just that it's severely abused and unregulated. I always mute it, though, so at the end of the day it's just a minor gripe that I have.

I only seem to dislike it when people are raging over a game. someone is trying to trash talk you. Or you don't have a mic.

i use voice chatt/party chatt with friends or people i play with on xbl... it works on most games... it seems to be the fps that it cmpletely sux on.

Admittedly, I haven't tried it on non-FPS games. I did try it on Project Gotham Racing on the original Xbox, but that was when my mic didn't work. I suppose it would be good in a game where it isn't all-out chaos and competition. Co-op would be good, but I imagine there would still be the select few who feel the need to soil things for everyone else.

I think it's good if your playing with friends or you want a good laugh ( hearing an 8 year old whine), but it can become annoying. I know for my husband, sometimes he just wants to play and doesn't feel like having an actual conversation with a stranger. I don't use it at all myself. I might if any of my friends were gaming though. Strangers? Nah, not interested.

Back