Durability of Sony consoles

incredibleone

I've been through more Sony consoles over the years than Nintendo, Microsoft or Sega. I've had several PS2's and PS3's over the past 10 years. I even went through two original Playstation. I enjoyed all the gaming but do you agree that Sony hardware is the most fragile and breaks the most often?

This has to be bad luck or because of you. Sony consoles are very durable. Have you not heard of the red ring of death? Killed more xboxs than any other console. I had to buy 5 xbox 360s in 6 years.

This has to be bad luck or because of you. Sony consoles are very durable. Have you not heard of the red ring of death? Killed more xboxs than any other console. I had to buy 5 xbox 360s in 6 years.

I always find it funny when some people can say straight that they bought 5 of the same console, i think by the third one i would be sending hate mail directly to Microsoft.

And i still have all my original Sony consoles, and the only reason i kept getting new PSPs it's because everyone would want to buy mine.

You must have bad luck indeed. I find that Sony products are one of the most durable of the consoles. I've had my Xbox red ringed quite a while back, but no problems with my PS3.

I always find it funny when some people can say straight that they bought 5 of the same console, i think by the third one i would be sending hate mail directly to Microsoft.

And i still have all my original Sony consoles, and the only reason i kept getting new PSPs it's because everyone would want to buy mine.

I was a HARDCORE microsoft fanboy and all of my buddies were on it. So I just kept buying them lol.

Never heard of anyone with nearly as much trouble as you as far as Sony consoles go -- in fact, it's almost so unbelievable that I would question the validity of your claim. Considering the pure number of people I've met who have had to deal with the hardware failures of the 360, it's easy to see that Sony consoles are much more durable.

I'm on my second ps3 console and my second 360. My first ps3 was a launch edition fatty that worked well for about 2 years. Then it started freezing and restarting on its own. It's still works intermittently.
My 360 didn't red ring, the lens crapped out while I was playing forza.
Honestly, I believe both consoles could be built better. I have a friend who's on his third ps3 and another on their third xbox. Sometimes it's a crapshoot.

Sony is considered a great brand for a reason, that said... what are you people doing to these consoles? I keep hearing about multiple breakdowns, but I have only ever had one console straight up die on me - my first PS2. However, I know why it died - I murdered it. I dragged it all over the country, dropped things on it, let my younger siblings at it, let my idiot friends at it, played for literally hours at a time (the record being 23 hours with two bathroom breaks), and generally used it the world ended yesterday. So yeah... how does one break multiple consoles?

My PS2 was super tough. I think it still works, actually but I don't have it hooked up. Dropped it off the desks, you name it it happened. You know, the way that most people break their consoles is by them overheating or putting them...vertically! The worst is putting them on a rug though, that'll murder your console.

I'd have to agree that they are the most fragile compared to the competition, but they do continue to work well if you handle them well. The first 360 consoles are likely to quit working on you even if you handle it properly, so I suppose I'd prefer a less durable machine to that.

I'd have to agree that they are the most fragile compared to the competition, but they do continue to work well if you handle them well. The first 360 consoles are likely to quit working on you even if you handle it properly, so I suppose I'd prefer a less durable machine to that.

The 360 sounds more fragile, and at the end of the day it actually is more fragile (hence the initial RROD massacre). The Sony is generally very solidly built and unless you actively try to kill it you'll generally not going to see much trouble - at least in my experience.

Seriously? I still have all my Sony consoles and other products working fine, I have kids in my house most of the time but the consoles are still safe, I just take care of them and you probably don't (no offense).

My 360 didn't red ring, the lens crapped out while I was playing forza.

Same thing happened with my 360's. Really depressing that i made it so far without ever getting a red ring but then the disc reader would just stop working. Sony consoles are really durable and much more so than Microsofts in my opinion. Ive been through way more Xbox's than Playstations. The point you made about never having stuff by Nintendo break though i can agree with. They know how to make reliable systems

I guess I'm lucky as I've dropped and hurt my ps3 several times and nothing happened, it works like sunshine.
It depends on your luck, definitely, I mean... My friend dropped his PS3 from a few centimeters and it stopped working and it took him a lot of bucks to make it work again.

I guess I'm lucky as I've dropped and hurt my ps3 several times and nothing happened, it works like sunshine.
It depends on your luck, definitely, I mean... My friend dropped his PS3 from a few centimeters and it stopped working and it took him a lot of bucks to make it work again.

"It works like sunshine" is now officially my go to phrase. I thank you for giving it to me random online person I don't know.

I think the Sony consoles are pretty durable. I take good care of all my systems so i really don't have complaints in regards any console's durability.

Hmm, I've never broken a Sony console. To be fair, Sony consoles have never been my favorite, so they haven't gotten used as much as my Nintendo consoles. In general though, I have found that newer consoles aren't as durable as past consoles. I think more technology means more things that can go wrong.

I have never broken my Playstation 3, but I know tons of people who have broken theirs. I agree that they are very cheap consoles. I have never heard anyone that has broken there Xbox 360.

I have never broken my Playstation 3, but I know tons of people who have broken theirs. I agree that they are very cheap consoles. I have never heard anyone that has broken there Xbox 360.

Really? Not even with the red ring of death? I have never met anybody that didn't have a broken Xbox 360 at some point. These people you know must be really lucky or all have newer consoles. Almost all of the older 360's have gotten RROD at least once.

I completely disbelieve this - you have had to have heard of a broken 360 because RROD. It's a thing, and a very famous thing. Thousands upon thousands of consoles crapped out because of it, also broken lenses, stupid quickfixes, and really shoddy construction have seen many another one die. On this forum along there have been stories of people buying not one, not two, but five separate 360s... also I've never heard of anyone breaking their PS3. I certainly never broke mine nor any of my friends and associates. It's Sony - they're made to last.

Back