How Does Steam Work?

gamejunkie

I have been reading alot about steam and I must say that it is really cool. I have also been on the website and checking out what they have to offer now I am wondering do you by the games on steam and then they download unto your steam account so that you never have to download the game onto your computer or do you buy the game and then you have to download it unto you computer. I am trying to understand this and please don't think that it is a dumb question I am just trying to understand how it all works.

Thanks!

No you buy the games and then download them to your computer after you buy them on steam.

No you buy the games and then download them to your computer after you buy them on steam.

Pretty much this, although there's an important additional piece of information. You can buy a game and not download it right then. It'll be added to your account, and you can download it whenever you want. So you'll still have access to the game, you'll just have to download it when you want to play it, if that makes sense?

I am thinking so if my pc is not one that can be used for gaming then I would have a hard time trying to get certain games to be played on my system. So basically I would still need to reach the minimum requirements so that I could be able to play the games then?

It's quite difficult to define how Steam works to be honest. You can understand it as a game library which also works as a client to curb piracy on PC.

Thanks for simplifying that for us wowtgp, I had been somewhat confused as to what steam was all about. Do you like getting your games that way or do you find it problematic to go through that process each time?

It's quite difficult to define how Steam works to be honest. You can understand it as a game library which also works as a client to curb piracy on PC.

It's not that difficult. Buy game. Have game. Play game. Buy too many games when on sale. Regret forever. Never play.

It's not that difficult. Buy game. Have game. Play game. Buy too many games when on sale. Regret forever. Never play.

Talk about hitting the nail on the head...
I totally relate to that, I haven't even *started* half the games on my collection, not to mention finishing them.

Right in the feels bro. Why you do this ;_;

I'm the Ghost of Steam Sales Past.

Always reminding you of that time you thought it'd be a good idea to pick up Magical Unicorn Adventures because it was only $4 and you just know that's a steal.

Stop it. That's too true.. It's way too true..

It's even more true for me if you add "Play the same game a million times instead of playing new games" to it.I swear sometime I will stop playing the Souls games and actually play a different Steam game!

It's even more true for me if you add "Play the same game a million times instead of playing new games" to it.I swear sometime I will stop playing the Souls games and actually play a different Steam game!

How about scrolling through the list of 190+ games I have and sighing "argh, I have nothing to play".
If 9 year old me, stuck with just about 5 NES games, could see me do that he would go berserk!

Steam is essentially just like the Xbox market place, you buy and download game digitally. First, you install the steam software on to your computer, then you download the game you want off of steam. You can use your steam account on multiple computers as long as you are not using the same account on another computer at same time.

It's a terrible terrible program, it will ruin your life. Any extra money will go towards it but you will never have time for any of the things you buy.
Maybe once in a blue moon you'll be able to play a couple of your games but there will always been to many for you to play, it'll be the best death you ever had. Drowing in all the games.

It's a terrible terrible program, it will ruin your life. Any extra money will go towards it but you will never have time for any of the things you buy.
Maybe once in a blue moon you'll be able to play a couple of your games but there will always been to many for you to play, it'll be the best death you ever had. Drowing in all the games.

It's a good it's all digital. You would need rooms dedicated to your library if it was physical.

All hail Gaben, the God of Deals!

Back