Xbox One How much truth is in a new rumor about Xbox One being able to run just at 720p?

alex2751

From
NC
Not that I trust much this source, lot of rumors were fake. Neogaf was always pro Sony. What do you guys think?

Not all games, at launch at least, will be running 1080p native. Ghost seems to be the prime suspect and while Activision has not confirmed the news, they also haven't denied it. They did however confirm it would be 1080 on PS4. Many other cross platform games will be running 1080p on both though.

From everything I have read the Xbox One can and does output at native 1080p for some games, but others will be upconverted same as the PS4.
Both will be capped at 60fps max due to the 60Hz refresh TV's limitations. Also keep in mind, the great graphics we are all used to on the PS3
and 360 were not 1080p and still looked great. The main object is FUN and how they PLAY, a good looking game with sucky game play is not a winner.

It also seems if you read a lot of news, that it is "1 single person" a disgruntled reviewer or supposed insider that from what people say can not even properly write a sentence" that started all the "not in 1080p" rumors.

Here are some quotes I found:

"Turn 10 Studios' upcoming Xbox One racer Forza Motorsport 5 will run at 60 frames per second in native 1080p resolution, the studio has confirmed."

"Call of Duty: Ghosts runs at 1080p resolution on Xbox One and PlayStation 4, Infinity Ward has said. That's while retaining the shooter series' trademark super smooth 60 frames per second visuals."

"Despite achieving 1080p at 60fps on next-gen consoles, Rubin insisted Infinity Ward's focus with Ghosts was on the "fun" - not advanced tech features. We've already heard Infinity Ward discuss how the extra processing power of the next-gen consoles has made for improved visuals, but in terms of AI, for example, it looks like the studio is taking a more general approach."

"Update, 4:38PM ET: We’ve spoken with a representative from Microsoft, who provided the following statement: “Xbox One fully supports native 1080p output at 60 fps. It is up to individual developers to determine what resolution best fits their design goals.”

"In general, like with NBA 2K14 most games on the next generation should be capable of natively rendering at the high definition resolution of 1920 x 1080."

"For example the Xbox One 1080p performance at 60 FPS will match the PlayStation 4 with NBA 2K14. But keep in mind some of the initial next generation games are designed to be ported back to the Xbox 360 and PS3, which means some of these games may not push the Xbox One and PS4 hardware as far as the could potentially go. It’s possible that both systems are capable of rendering NBA 2K14 at well over 60 FPS but the renderer is capped at 60 FPS because most HDTVs tend to be 60 Hz."

Yea, that was announced. I believe both consoles are 4k ready.

PS4 will have 4k resolution but not for games. Only for photos and videos.
MS on the other hand will support full 4K. This is in the hardware in the consoles,
So Sony could not do an update just to support this. Not real sure how Sony can counter this
but 1080 will soon be gone before we know it.

Forza 5, an Xbox One launch title, is 1080p native. That is enough to debunk any of those 'rumors'.

You'll see a mix of native resolutions on both next gen consoles. Based on the technology inside each console, especially the Xbox One, I'm betting we'll see a lot more 900p upscaled to 1080p, due to the graphic quality being better even after upscaling (bing/google search 'hana' upscaling).

That said, the resolution discussions/arguments are somewhat dumb, because no matter what if you have a 1080p TV the game will display in 1080p. And if the game looks fantastic, then the native resolution doesn't mean anything.

Look at the end result and use that for comparisons; talking behind the scene statistics does not reflect the end result. Case in point: Ryse running at 900p, which looks phenomenal.

Forza 5, an Xbox One launch title, is 1080p native. That is enough to debunk any of those 'rumors'.

You'll see a mix of native resolutions on both next gen consoles. Based on the technology inside each console, especially the Xbox One, I'm betting we'll see a lot more 900p upscaled to 1080p, due to the graphic quality being better even after upscaling (bing/google search 'hana' upscaling).

That said, the resolution discussions/arguments are somewhat dumb, because no matter what if you have a 1080p TV the game will display in 1080p. And if the game looks fantastic, then the native resolution doesn't mean anything.

Look at the end result and use that for comparisons; talking behind the scene statistics does not reflect the end result. Case in point: Ryse running at 900p, which looks phenomenal.

People KEEP on forgetting this or are purposley skipping it. Dont worry guys, 23 days left, and allt he nay sayers wll be seeing the truth...haha i mean...Playing the truth
youre-goddamn-right-gif.gif

Don't be worried about that stuff. I mean think about it! If the Wii U can push out more games now then PS4 & X1 at 1080p 60fps with inferior hardware, then X1 is MORE then capable to achieve this task. This are just the early stages that game devs need the time to learn the hardware. Once they master the hardware you will see more of a difference in the coming years.

Don't be worried about that stuff. I mean think about it! If the Wii U can push out more games now then PS4 & X1 at 1080p 60fps with inferior hardware, then X1 is MORE then capable to achieve this task. This are just the early stages that game devs need the time to learn the hardware. Once they master the hardware you will see more of a difference in the coming years.

Exactly! As developers become more used to the hardware and as we get further away from cross gen titles, we will see a rise in native 1080 games.

the higher end games will be 1080 @ 60fps. but id expect allot of games to be the 720 for gameplay and cinimatics to be 1080 which i am not hurt over.

the xb1 is capable of 4k tv output. but their was no real in depth tech on how far it goes.. if it is games or dvd/video imiging.

i have done 0 research on the ps4 so i wont say what it can do.

i have a 4k tv and plan on running my xb1 on it but expect it to be a 1080 running system which means the lag should be very minimal. i would expect 4k gaming to be very rough on a cheaper 4k tv setup like mine. i think it could do movies fine but past that the ammount of data moving for a game like bf4 i would expect some latency...
ive read a few articles about processing power of gaming on 1080 from projector to tv's and like everything else your paying for the processing power.

Doesn't really matter to me, Not an extreme video enthusiast.
I can't notice the difference of watching a 720p movie and a 1080p, as long as the graphics look amazing.

Doesn't really matter to me, Not an extreme video enthusiast.
I can't notice the difference of watching a 720p movie and a 1080p, as long as the graphics look amazing.

i think forza hit on it a few mnths back. its the shading and light that make a big difference. the 720 games can look stunning if you take the time to polish it up.
they said something like look at forza on 360 we learned how to polish the game play and you can see from early 360 forza to forza4. was their room for improvment but with every forza i always said dang look how clean the game is or the cars.. now going from horizon to forza5 is going to feel like a big leap.

i just hope they spend the time in game making it feel right and not in shading/graphics on the tires and dust.

hana is just a video output chip, not an upscaler as people have been led to believe. Most of this hana upscaling stems from misterxmedia's blog as far as I can tell. I wish this hana magic was true but it's simply not

I can't post links yet so google (the truth about the xbox one hana2 upscaler).

Having said this, I believe this these lower resolutions are the result of the x1 being built around dx11.2 and tiled resources. Only just released with windows 8.1. Once dev's start implementing this your likely going to see the ps4 unable to match the x1

People are just freaking out over nothing. Forza 5 is 1080p and 60fps. That shows that all the devs need is a little time with the hardware (which the Forza devs probably had a lot more of). Personally, I'm not freaking out that a few titles being ported to 5 different systems aren't hitting higher resolutions. Give the devs a little more time and things will be fine.

That is absurd. Nobody would put out a brand new console in 2013 that couldn't run 1080p. That would be suicide with as much competition as there is in the games industry right now.

agreed, ms is not stupid, all this freaking out is just coming from a small but loud minority, and the media is running with it for hits

NBA 2k14 is 1080p.Some developers got to get use to the hardware!That is all!It was just more easier for some developers to get more out of the PS4 right now!X1's architecture is more complicated then the PS4's.Look all what the X1 does.I am not a techy!But in my opinion common sense should tell people this.But I see on the net people aren't equip with it or they just like being drama filled high school cheerleaders.A matter of fact the X1 difficulties with developers was one of the 1st rumors surfacing after E3.So I don't understand how can X1 be..........I am not going to finish that!Theres no need to explain.They been really ignorant towards my buddy X1!

Not that I trust much this source, lot of rumors were fake. Neogaf was always pro Sony. What do you guys think?

Yeah, Neogaf was always pro-Sony. Like when they shat on the PS3 way back when it came out and joked that it had "NO GAMES" for quite a while. Yeah...

Anyway, certain games that run at 1080p on PS4 are only 720p on X1. Not a big deal to me, don't see what's the huge fuzz over it considering a lot of games were UNDER 720p`in the current generation anyway. But yeah.

However, the X1 CAN output native 1080p. Just depends on the games.

Yeah, Neogaf was always pro-Sony. Like when they shat on the PS3 way back when it came out and joked that it had "NO GAMES" for quite a while. Yeah...

Anyway, certain games that run at 1080p on PS4 are only 720p on X1. Not a big deal to me, don't see what's the huge fuzz over it considering a lot of games were UNDER 720p`in the current generation anyway. But yeah.

However, the X1 CAN output native 1080p. Just depends on the games.

Wasn't "no games" from somewhere else? They just used it in a passive aggressive way. And everyone should know that everything is 720p for next gen at launch, all the people that are saying that they are doing 1080p, it's not native, it's upscaled, no one would try to mess with hardware on this point, all they want is to release the games, then try out new stuff as time passes.

Back