Xbox 360 If Oblivion had Skyrim's combat and graphics?

Jameson

So guys, i was thinking earlier and i realized everyone talks so much about how much of an epic game Skyrim is and how its their favorite game ever, including the people who have played oblivion. I was wondering, would Skyrim be put on such a high pedestal if Oblivion had the same graphics and combat as Skyrim? I mean in my opinion, Oblivions quests were way more interesting and creative than skyrims and the land could actually feel like you were wandering into the unknown wilderness, whereas Skyrim has a new cave or structure of some sort always somewhere in view.

Skyrim was a great game, but im just wondering if you guys think Oblivion would be better than Skyrim if they both had the same graphics and combat/leveling system?

All TES games start to repeat themselves too often before you've fully completed them, so it really amounts to which province you prefer. Of the ones released since TES III, I like Morrowind the best, so a TES game set in Morrowind with the gameplay of Skyrim would be amazing to me. Dragonborn doesn't really count; Solstheim isn't very big geographically.

All TES games start to repeat themselves too often before you've fully completed them, so it really amounts to which province you prefer. Of the ones released since TES III, I like Morrowind the best, so a TES game set in Morrowind with the gameplay of Skyrim would be amazing to me. Dragonborn doesn't really count; Solstheim isn't very big geographically.

Yeah i guess thats true, sadly ive never played Morrowind but i definitely agree with what you said about which province you prefer. I just feel like Cyrodiil had so much mystical, hidden and crazy stuff and felt like you were truly an explorer! Skyrim is nothing but an endless land of caves xD On a side note about this, im not usually the kind of person who wants remakes all the time but i really think they should do a remake of Oblivion keeping everything the same besides the combat and graphics of course. I would also suggest Morrowing but i havent played it and considering it was only for the Xbox original im guessing itd be even harder to remake than Oblivion (Being on the 360)

I would have to disagree - Skyrim has mountains, caves, valleys, tundra, plains, hot springs, swamps, bogs, and many forests - Oblivion has one big forest... I mean when it comes to variety and surprises (why is there a headless horseman here?) Skyrim wins hands down. Seriously, if I checked the games right now I'd be bored to tears in regards to Oblivion versus Skyrim - and not just because of the same five voices and four faces that made up the people of Oblivion.

I don't think that only having Skyrim's graphics and combat make Oblivon a better game. It was made way back in 2006 and things like AI and other mechanics has bettered significantly since then.

I would have to disagree - Skyrim has mountains, caves, valleys, tundra, plains, hot springs, swamps, bogs, and many forests - Oblivion has one big forest... I mean when it comes to variety and surprises (why is there a headless horseman here?) Skyrim wins hands down. Seriously, if I checked the games right now I'd be bored to tears in regards to Oblivion versus Skyrim - and not just because of the same five voices and four faces that made up the people of Oblivion.

I can agree with that i mean i did like Skyrim but i just feel like Oblivion was more of an actual adventure which is what i like a lot in RPG's. Like Crayons said though i think it probably does just have to do with your preference of province

Oblivion was a great story and pretty good gameplay for its time, but Skyrim is a huge immersive world that you just get lost in.
It might be possible to create the Oblivion story and quests in Skyrim by modding but I think you wouldn't find all that much to do.
The landscape isn't as diverse as in Skyrim and Skyrim has all the random events that break up the routine.

Oblivion was a great story and pretty good gameplay for its time, but Skyrim is a huge immersive world that you just get lost in.
It might be possible to create the Oblivion story and quests in Skyrim by modding but I think you wouldn't find all that much to do.
The landscape isn't as diverse as in Skyrim and Skyrim has all the random events that break up the routine.

Yeah there definitely is no doubt that Skyrim is more diverse in the environment section but i feel like Oblivion was more diverse and rich in the Quests and random things to find area. There was always some crazy magic going on somewhere and lets not forget about our bearded friend Sheogorath ;) (In Skyrim when i saw him i was very let down :/ ) I feel like the fact that Oblivion wasnt made of nothing but caves like Skyrim is has something to say though. I just cant stand how many caves there are in Skyrim. I mean you can probably go from cave to cave just by using your compass without ever not seeing a cave lol

1. You literally copy and pasted your reply didn't you?

2. Oblivion was four thousand caves - literally. Did Skyrim have caves? Yes, but at least the caves changed, and you had buildings and you had mazes and you had outdoors fights. Also Sheogorath shows up twice (at least) in Skyrim versus once (very briefly) in Oblivion unless you had the DLC for Shivering Isles. The first time is for a hilarious mission wherein you definitely had a bit much to drink. The second time was dealing with poor mad Pegulius (or however you spell his name). Both were quite interesting versus terrorizing some cat folks - or whatever. On top of that Oblivion was actually rather lacking in randomness overall - whereas... there is a Headless Rider on a Horse at night for no reason. There are wondering ghosts. There is a Siren by the sea. I've accidently walked into four murders, six parties, and exactly seventeen fights. I'm still not sure why there is something very like a nightstalker out by Wilhelm. I mean it's just a better time in Skyrim - also Mammoths! Giants! So many Dragons!

I don't know. I think that I like the general feel of Skyrim much more than Oblivion, but I have some friends who swear by Oblivion. Maybe I just like fighting dragons and great graphics along with exploring for hours!

vEqFZZj.jpg

Godammit, would you look at that exciting dungeon, full of secrets and rooms to explore.
And the great inventory system, specially tailored for consoles. Not being able to wear anything more than one set of armor is also pretty good innovation.

Godammit, would you look at that exciting dungeon, full of secrets and rooms to explore.
And the great inventory system, specially tailored for consoles. Not being able to wear anything more than one set of armor is also pretty good innovation.

Oh god hahaha. That diagram just makes me laugh i mean like come on.

And sorry Esperahol but you must not have fully experienced Oblivion. The creativity was everywhere and what would seem like a normal little quest could turn into something crazy and mystical. Skyrim was just boring and obvious. Go in a cave, kill stuff, get loot and a shout, then leave. There was never anything unique about the caves (Pretty sad that there wasnt considering the map was made of nothing but caves) and if there was, it wasnt anything that would take you by surprise itd just be more of a "Oh there are glowing mushrooms all around this cave thats cool" Where i remember one place in Oblivion you enter a shack or fort of some sort, and when you go in the basement its just nothing but blackness and narrow walkways and it would totally take you by surprise. Skyrim was just a really generic feeling RPG with nothing unique but the fun spells (that got pretty repetitive after a couple playthroughs) and the dragon shouts that were a great feature.

It's funny because I was just playing Oblivion and I was thinking about how different Skyrim really is to Oblivion. I mean of course they aren't THAT different but I mean the controls for Skyrim especially the combat and the way you steer your horse is so different.

It's funny because I was just playing Oblivion and I was thinking about how different Skyrim really is to Oblivion. I mean of course they aren't THAT different but I mean the controls for Skyrim especially the combat and the way you steer your horse is so different.

Yeah theres definitely no question that they did better with Skyrim's combat and other engine type things but the point im trying to show is that i just dont feel as if they put much effort into their map as they did their engine. I mean dont get me wrong the environment is beautiful and well made but i just feel like their quests and caverns are all the same thing. Level design is a huge thing for RPG's and Skyrim only took care of the roaming around part of the level and like i said they did damn good at it but unless you plan on walking around the environment in Skyrim and doing nothing else, that shouldnt be the main focus.

I guess im getting a little too radical about this but ive never really explained my views on the situation before and its been a long time since it came out so i may be going overboard sorry xD

Oh god hahaha. That diagram just makes me laugh i mean like come on.

And sorry Esperahol but you must not have fully experienced Oblivion. The creativity was everywhere and what would seem like a normal little quest could turn into something crazy and mystical. Skyrim was just boring and obvious. Go in a cave, kill stuff, get loot and a shout, then leave. There was never anything unique about the caves (Pretty sad that there wasnt considering the map was made of nothing but caves) and if there was, it wasnt anything that would take you by surprise itd just be more of a "Oh there are glowing mushrooms all around this cave thats cool" Where i remember one place in Oblivion you enter a shack or fort of some sort, and when you go in the basement its just nothing but blackness and narrow walkways and it would totally take you by surprise. Skyrim was just a really generic feeling RPG with nothing unique but the fun spells (that got pretty repetitive after a couple playthroughs) and the dragon shouts that were a great feature.

Dude I logged in over 140 hours into Oblivion before I even got the DLC - then I logged in another 85 hours so I'm pretty sure I get a lot of experience from Oblivion. However, I've easily done twice as much time with Skyrim and that's not taking in account Hearthfire and Dawn Guard. I mean having explored a lot and completed an ungodly amount of "randomly" generated quests I can honestly say that the caves can get complicated, and that there was more than caves. I can also say that all of Oblivion was caves, and they got really boring/annoying, really fast.

I don't know... many I mean I can think of at least four "caves" off the where things got very interesting with snipers and hideously overpowered enemies and that one time something kept stealing my health... and vampires. What can I say? I like entering a place that can quickly lead to me being outside or wandering in an ice cave or trapping in the suffocating darkness of a booby-trapped Dwarfen hellhole. Whereas Oblivion was just the same dungeon over and over again with the same five monsters and having to hit switches. Its the same thing with quests - Oblivion seemed to be mostly fetch quests without much depth to them. However, Skyrim quests usually had multiple parts if they were part of a storyline, and/or were very "intensive" if they were a one off. They also had more interesting set-ups or surprises.

I wasn't expecting to meet characters I'd been reading about since forever (Potema The Wolf Queen, Mad Pelgius) or to kick it with a talking Dragon (or six) or to have what seems like a simple case turn out to be something to do with the Princes (the Haunted House, the Whispering Door, etc). Skyrim felt like a generic RPG to you, but for me it was a great example of how to improve on previous work. The skill trees were a fascinating idea, having actual separate environments with their own effects, the variety of creatures (werewolves, vampires, hag-whatevers, dragons, giants, mechanical whatamacallits, trolls, the horror story that is the Fawen) and the fact there is actual wildlife (rabbits, wolves, deer, hawks (stupid hard to hit hawks)) besides the issue of ghosts and zombies is just... it's better. Besides which the major quest lines actually felt meaningful, and the minor quests were just really interesting.

Forget Oblivion, if I could play Morrowind or hell, even Daggerfall but with Skyrim graphics and battle system I would probably never even leave my desk. Those two games were such an amazing experience to me, while Oblivion felt...I dunno...kinda bland? I just got tired of it after a while, I can't exactly explain why.

Back