I'm seriously considering a Nokia Lumia 920

roadies

Does anyone else have a Windows Phone? How is the Xbox Live experience on it? I know that smartglass and your gamertag are supposed to be seamlessly integrated, but I'm wondering if it is more hype than it is practical / usable content.

I have an iPhone 4 now. I have smartglass installed. I never use it. So I'm debating if the experience will be the same on the Windows Phone OS.

And did anyone see any practical usage of smartglass on a smartphone for Xbox One? I know they demo'd quite a bit of smartglass on tablets at E3... but not much was shown for the smaller screen smartphones.

You shouldn't want this phone for smartglass but because it's a beautiful and powerful phone. I've been using a 920 a little while now and I wouldn't trade this phone or Windows Phone for anything else on the market. I do own a android tablet with the latest OS so I know how Android is right now and it's not nearly as good.

Does anyone else have a Windows Phone? How is the Xbox Live experience on it? I know that smartglass and your gamertag are supposed to be seamlessly integrated, but I'm wondering if it is more hype than it is practical / usable content.

I have an iPhone 4 now. I have smartglass installed. I never use it. So I'm debating if the experience will be the same on the Windows Phone OS.

And did anyone see any practical usage of smartglass on a smartphone for Xbox One? I know they demo'd quite a bit of smartglass on tablets at E3... but not much was shown for the smaller screen smartphones.

I was thinking about going that route also what really got me thinking about it was a the microsoft store theres a deal that you get the phone for 50 bucks. with contract.

You shouldn't want this phone for smartglass but because it's a beautiful and powerful phone. I've been using a 920 a little while now and I wouldn't trade this phone or Windows Phone for anything else on the market. I do own a android tablet with the latest OS so I know how Android is right now and it's not nearly as good.

Thanks for the note GT. I mostly want the Lumia for the camera. That's been the biggest selling point to me so far. I'm just curious as to the Smartglass and Live integration is in everyday use. I WANT it to be mind-blowing as they hype it to be. I hope it's at least partially that good.

The other thing that is holding me back is that I use Trillian mobile for my work. They haven't ported it to Windows Phone OS yet. :(

Also, how's the IE browser? I'm quite the fan of Safari and Opera on my iPhone. Haven't tried Firefox yet.

I don't own a Lumia but I have tried them out and have to say that I was quite surprised by how much I liked it. It's smooth and the interface is nice. Still, as a long time IPhone owner I've invested so much into the IOS ecosystem that I can't ever see myself switching over to another brand anytime soon. Also, the one downside about Windows phone's is that their marketplace isn't quite up to par with Apple's app store or even Android's marketplace. Maybe when that improves I might consider going over to Windows.

I hear very good reviews about the Nokia Lumia 920 and yes, those people who like it are int o Xbox too. I think if it's really something you enjoy, it's worth giving this phone a try. Anyway, if not for that, you still get some other nice features too. I like phones operated by Windows, because it's easy to use unlike Android.

I don't own a Lumia but I have tried them out and have to say that I was quite surprised by how much I liked it. It's smooth and the interface is nice. Still, as a long time IPhone owner I've invested so much into the IOS ecosystem that I can't ever see myself switching over to another brand anytime soon. Also, the one downside about Windows phone's is that their marketplace isn't quite up to par with Apple's app store or even Android's marketplace. Maybe when that improves I might consider going over to Windows.

Yeah.. that's their biggest problem right now. The Lumia phones are fantastic, though. Problem is, developers don't want to bring apps to an ecosystem that doesn't have many users and users don't want to buy a phone that doesn't have a big enough ecosystem. It's a vicious cycle, but I think the platform will slowly, but surely, get into the hands of the masses. What's really helped them so far is the fact that their phones are pretty cheap in countries where people buy them unsubsidized. I think Windows Phone is selling extremely well in India.

Problem is, developers don't want to bring apps to an ecosystem that doesn't have many users

What type of apps are available? This could create an environment for smaller developers to come up with something that can stand out from the crowd. Innovation happens this way, so I'll be keeping my eye on this.

What type of apps are available? This could create an environment for smaller developers to come up with something that can stand out from the crowd. Innovation happens this way, so I'll be keeping my eye on this.

Thats the misconception with the whole app situation.

Most of the "big" apps are there, Skype, Netflix, Facebook Twitter. I dont know what else people use nowadays but from what i understand, all the most popular apps are there. Its the thousands of alternatives to the popular apps that arent.

I once had a Windows Phone. It was the worst thing I ever bought. I highly suggest you stay with your iphone 4.

Thats the misconception with the whole app situation.

Most of the "big" apps are there, Skype, Netflix, Facebook Twitter. I dont know what else people use nowadays but from what i understand, all the most popular apps are there. Its the thousands of alternatives to the popular apps that arent.

Up until recently, Instagram was missing. I think Pandora took a while to come and I'm still waiting on Mint. Snapchat still isn't available. I wouldn't say the app system is missing 'a lot', but it's missing enough to where it is somewhat of an issue for most people. Honestly, I don't care for a lot of those apps. The main thing I use is whatsapp, and I had to suffer through a very port of that app for Windows Phone for the longest time. It's much better now than it used to be. Still waiting on Mint.

I don't have the Lumia but some of my friends do and they absolutely love it. Frankly, I think if I were to upgrade to a different phone that it the one that I would buy.

Don't do it, if you are going to buy a phone with one the latest Galaxy S series or an IPhone depending on what you want.

Well I cannot say that I have experience with this one, but I have always found Nokia to have pretty good products, despite being somewhat obscure in the market these days. I think that plays a role in what attracts me to them, but regardless if they make a good product then I do not really mind about their business. I hope you find what works best, and thanks for sharing.

Back