Xbox One Kinect facial recognition will not be retained and transmitted

jstep

Former Moderator
From
The D
I know there are some people out there that are concerned about their privacy in regards to the new Kinect on the XB1. Microsoft announced that they won't retain any facial data off of the Kinect. This was announced as part of a lengthy disclosure on privacy that Microsoft released. Microsoft WILL use the facial recognition to target specific ads to users though. Not too thrilled to see an influx of ads on a system that I've paid hundreds of dollars for, along with a nice yearly fee for XBL Gold.

It has been long reported that through a built in Kinect camera, the Xbox One will employ facial recognition. This news has been of concern to many prospective buyers for the anticipated platform launch, especially amid other reports that Microsoft has supplied personal information of its users to the NSA.

Reported in CVG, the company has also been specific to point out that data from its facial recognition technology is not sent to Microsoft and instead, that it stays on the console and is destroyed after a user’s session ends.

Source: Biometric Update

Im still a little confused about people and theur privacy lol. I mean I understand, but if they are concerned, then they better put tape over their cell phones, web cames, and for each building they walk into, better tell that building to remove ur face from their "so called" security cameras lol. Oh well, LETS DO THIS!

I never worry about things like this.

If MS or anyone else wants to see a heavy guy sitting in his undies or shorts at times downing a few beers playing video games then they are more than welcome.

I never worry about things like this.

If MS or anyone else wants to see a heavy guy sitting in his undies or shorts at times downing a few beers playing video games then they are more than welcome.

Some people get paid good money to do that ^^^^^

On a more serious note: The idea of privacy is ancient history at this point. For example, just driving down the road you are being filed/recorded by dozens of cameras from red-light cameras to business security cameras, etc.

The only argument that's a little iffy is the privacy inside your own home. While inherently there should be no intrusion on that privacy, truth is we invite the world into our home anyway. Cell-phones, laptops, web-cams, microphones, headsets, etc. These devices are all just as likely to invade our privacy at home as the Kinect.

I know for one I've had a microphone hooked up to my desktop (24/7 turned on and connected to internet) for at least the past 7 years. Who knows if I've been recorded through that thing before, but I do know that I made the choice to bring it into my home and ultimately I was never bothered by the 'what if' scenario of having it always connected. These days it's all about smartphones with high-def cameras and microphone arrays anyway, which I have several in my home at any given point in time.

Some people get paid good money to do that ^^^^^

On a more serious note: The idea of privacy is ancient history at this point. For example, just driving down the road you are being filed/recorded by dozens of cameras from red-light cameras to business security cameras, etc.

The only argument that's a little iffy is the privacy inside your own home. While inherently there should be no intrusion on that privacy, truth is we invite the world into our home anyway. Cell-phones, laptops, web-cams, microphones, headsets, etc. These devices are all just as likely to invade our privacy at home as the Kinect.

I know for one I've had a microphone hooked up to my desktop (24/7 turned on and connected to internet) for at least the past 7 years. Who knows if I've been recorded through that thing before, but I do know that I made the choice to bring it into my home and ultimately I was never bothered by the 'what if' scenario of having it always connected. These days it's all about smartphones with high-def cameras and microphone arrays anyway, which I have several in my home at any given point in time.

tumblr_m6e6mvSPcs1qa0tls.gif

I know there are some people out there that are concerned about their privacy in regards to the new Kinect on the XB1. Microsoft announced that they won't retain any facial data off of the Kinect. This was announced as part of a lengthy disclosure on privacy that Microsoft released. Microsoft WILL use the facial recognition to target specific ads to users though. Not too thrilled to see an influx of ads on a system that I've paid hundreds of dollars for, along with a nice yearly fee for XBL Gold.

Source: Biometric Update

I can only imagine the type of ads I'll receive. Hmmm...

J

Microsoft has backed down from every controversial feature of the XBox One so far. While some may think this looks bad, I think this makes Microsoft look really progressive. They are taking their customer's thoughts and making changes.

MS has been saying the same thing about Kinect since day 1. The problem is people having an agenda and not listening. MS has said from day 1 that you control what (if any) information gets sent back to MS.

Back