Xbox One Microsoft to offer dedicated servers for all Xbox One games

Russelfurd

Senior Xbox director Albert Penello shared the news on Twitter, simply stating "yes" when asked if the Xbox Live Compute resources include dedicated servers for all Xbox One games.
The Xbox Live Compute service is a means to allow creators to utilize scalable, cloud-based computing resources that Microsoft manages within its regional datacenters. This is meant to extend the technical limitations of what is traditionally possible through the finite resources of one console.

I personally believe this is pretty big news. The dedicated servers will allow so much flexibility to console gaming. As the article mentioned, "No more host migration interruptions, sub-optimal experiences for the host, home network NAT constraints, or player cheating."

This could possibly be the start of a better online gaming experience. This could possibly raise the bar for console gaming.

Source: Gamespot

I think that this is a great move on Microsoft's part. I only hope that they keep the dedicated servers up for a decent amount of time. I know some people have complained about EA taking the servers down too early for some of their titles in the past.

This is the one feature that I can't wait for. I don't like the idea of other users hosting because it always crashes. I'm so excited that Microsoft is going to have its own servers for this. No more crashes! Yay!

Host advantage is a thing of the past and its about time.

This only makes me more excited to play multiplayer games on the Xbox One. This will greatly reduce or eliminate lag, which is HUGE for competitive games like COD and is one of the reasons why I rage quit that game a couple years ago (latency death even if I shoot first...really upsets me). Skill becomes a bigger factor now, instead of who has the better ping.

And hopefully no more rubberbanding/lag in games like Forza 5, making racing in multiplayer a lot more fun.

You don't need to be the one with the crappy connection on a p2p server for it to affect you performance. If host has bad connection you will still be affected by the lag

I was referring to playing on dedicated servers. If YOU lag it is the fault of your connection. P2P is another monster as you already know.

I'm super excited about this its going to be so amazing no more host advantage or lag from the host, or "finding a better host" junk haha i cant wait thank you Microsoft!

I remember on MW3 I raged quit CoD all together.I was at the Drive-in map and I was running towards a shed and I seen 2 enemies inside.With cat like reflexes I took cover outside the entrance.Next thing I know a unknown force took over me.I start stuttering back and forth between the entrance and the spot I took cover and in the blink of an eye.......I quantum leaped right inside where now I am in front of his gun and "BOOM goes the dynamite"!CoD was all types of m.f.'s,s.o.b.'s,and I took it up with the supreme being with some god damn's!lol!

I remember on MW3 I raged quit CoD all together.I was at the Drive-in map and I was running towards a shed and I seen 2 enemies inside.With cat like reflexes I took cover outside the entrance.Next thing I know a unknown force took over me.I start stuttering back and forth between the entrance and the spot I took cover and in the blink of an eye.......I quantum leaped right inside where now I am in front of his gun and "BOOM goes the dynamite"!CoD was all types of m.f.'s,s.o.b.'s,and I took it up with the supreme being with some god damn's!lol!

Yes but the funny thing is we always went back to it lol. Drive in was a great map though.

If this actually happens, the PC "Masterrace" won't be able to rub dedis in console players faces anymore woohoo! The lobby method in CoD was the WORST way of matchmaking ever, you can't choose what to play, lag isn't always your fault and the advantage some players had over others due to connection is just ridiculous and the reason MW3 absolutely sucked. "Lag compensation" what were they thinking?

Wait, Microsoft titles or really all Xbox One titles? Because that will just make things worse.
And don't think i forgot about Games for Windows, Microsoft, that thing deleted my saves just because you thought this was a good idea to have on my games!

I'm more than okay with this. More stability means more stability right? Though I guess server upkeep costs a good bit.

Wait, Microsoft titles or really all Xbox One titles? Because that will just make things worse.
And don't think i forgot about Games for Windows, Microsoft, that thing deleted my saves just because you thought this was a good idea to have on my games!

Dedicated servers are available free for any Xbox One developer (this includes indie devs). Also, Azure/Cloud will be used for Xbox 360 and available for PC games (I'm guessing cross-platform games that are exclusive to Microsoft, such as Titanfall).

It's still up to developers of Xbox One games (both first party and third party) to take advantage of the free dedicated servers, however. But it's free, I can't see anyone not using them (with the exception of EA, but even that might change). The cost savings is enormous!

I recall reading on the message boards for Call of Duty how badly dedicated servers were needed to fix the lag. I hope it is everything people claim it is. I have stopped playing online multiplayer all together for the past 6 to 8 months because it was such crap. I will definitely be looking forward to this. Does the PS4 have dedicated servers?

I recall reading on the message boards for Call of Duty how badly dedicated servers were needed to fix the lag. I hope it is everything people claim it is. I have stopped playing online multiplayer all together for the past 6 to 8 months because it was such crap. I will definitely be looking forward to this. Does the PS4 have dedicated servers?

As of right now they do not, at least they haven't made any such announcement.

Back