MMORPG's

Montgomery

I have never played any of the MMORPG games but I know a lot of people are really into them. If you play them can you tell me why you like them so much? Which one is your favorite to play? What is the point of the game?

Well I can't speak for everyone. But I use to play MMORPG games because of the promise of a giant, expansive world to explore. That and I also was fond of the micro management and looting.

But they're an acquired taste. They aren't for everyone, even when they try to be.

I still play MMORPGs a LOT.
But mainly my favorite is Mabinogi by Nexon. The company is kind of bad but I love the game, it has so much to do and i've spent too much money and time on the game.

...I'll admit it. I play WoW. It consumers my life when I play though, so I'll usually reach the max level of the expansion and go back to real life for a bit. Why do I like it so much? I don't know. It's just addictive. I play with a lot of real-life friends, so we will all usually run dungeons together and chat the entire time. It's just plain old fun ;)

I tried Runescape, Last Chaos, Perfect World, and Runes of Magic. My favorite were probably Runescape and Perfect World International, but the only reason why I chose Runescape is because I spent ALOT of time on it. If I were to choose only one, it would definitely be Perfect World International. The people playing the game are great, you can join a guild, and once that guild has a good chemistry, you'll never have a better time with a free MMORPG. You can even do Guild Wars!

I tried WoW, it was good when friends were online, but then everyone stopped playing it.

Now everyone I know plays GuildWars2 and I've tried it, but it changes so much from WoW, and while it is pretty simple to play, my guardian's hammer goes smash and things die, it's so deep and complex at the higher levels.

I was watching one of my best friends playing his maxed out Elemental toon in a boss fight and it was just mind boggling what sort of skills you need for timing and planning the fights out so you've always got a trick up your sleeves to survive with. He was juggling bubbles/shields, with endurance limited flips/dodging, all while trying to remember his various cool down timers for each of his abilities which all get swapped out when he changes between the elements (fire/water/lightning/stone).

While it was cool to see him playing at that level it was totally intimidating for a casual gamer to see what skills you need to develop!

I have only played two MMORPGs - Runescape and Fantasy Tennis. MMORPGs are fun because you are able to interact with other players in the game world. Alliances and rivalries can develop with other players which further immerse you to the game world. Unlike regular console games, you just don't intact with an AI. You interact with real people and that makes it a lot more fun.

Currently, I play World of Warcraft. This is the first MMORPG that I have ever played, and I'm sure no other will follow.

I leveled my Paladin, Death Knight & Mage to 90 in the Mists of Pandaria expansion. I suppose I like games of this genre mostly for player interaction. The migration from Xbox/PS3 AI games to raiding with real people, was a milestone. Progression in content can be repetitive when you have played it a few years though. Player competition in PVP is one aspect of the game I haven't really focused on yet. I may need to invest time in that to reserve my interest in WoW.

Last edited:
I used to play Guild Wars 2 during the early years of its release. Haven't played much pc gaming since then.
I play Omerta, a texted based MMORPG Mafia Style Game.
I play some Pocket Legends too, if anyone is down I'm totally game! :)
I'm knew in the 2d morpg community. I'm a Legend over at Eclipse. (www.touchofdeathforums.com)

I play MMORPGs mainly because it's a great way to socialize and do activities with friends. I've also made some really good friends from around the world while playing MMORPGs.

Though I feel I wasted a lot of time on this game, it was my most played and feel that this MMORPG was the best that I've even played. It is MapleStory. I played it back when it was in beta but the game has since became quite a mess with random classes etc.

You asked why I play MMORPG games, well I ask you Why wouldn’t you play MMORPG games? It is the best game ever, you can interact with other player and have friends and enemies. You can be a member of a clan and there are also politics in controlling the castles. You can level up your character, basically it is similar to real life.

I'm really big into MMORPGs.

For me, the main appeal is the "multi-player" portion. I have met so many friends over the years from playing and I love being able to get together in big groups to do things. Sure, it's fun to play a game with a single friend on a console, but it's way more fun for me to know that night after night, I can log on and have 20 people there, all wanting to hang out, even if we don't even go do the same things together.

I've never had regrets playing MMORPGs, but I think that's cause I've refused to pay for them and have only done free beta tests..

I was completing a degree program in network administration and working at a net-cafe when UO beta came along.. I almost failed that course, and NOT buying the retail version of that game is probably what saved me.

We would play our characters day and night, barely sleeping in 3 day stretches.. We'd actually have macro programs playing our characters when we were gone, and some of the distinctions between the best players and the average players were how brilliant your macro skills were.

I recall that someone discovered that the blacksmith's hammer counted as 'mining/crafting' experience, but also a heavy weapon strike. So the smart players would stand in town (a guarded area / not really 'safe') and hammer on training dummies to build smithing and heavy weapons skills.

Course I wasn't really satisfied with getting two areas filled with free XP so I also added two other 'free' actions which was to 'detect hidden' and 'attempt to hide'.

Both those skills dump XP into the 'Ranger' class bonus, and quite quickly, I was one of the very first 'Grandmaster' Rangers in the beta portion of the game. This meant that very few, if any players knew what my talents were.

The ability to just vanish was the first thing that gave me intense joy. I could pickup someone's chest of loot and then just *poof* be totally invisible to them. This left me with a terrible feeling knowing that they had little to no defense against my thievery, so I didn't make a habit out of it, mostly doing it to jerks who tried to muscle their way through the game. It wasn't until near the end of beta that people started bulking up on 'detect hidden' skills, but the instant you 'foxed' a 'hen' everyone in the chicken coop would start screaming that there's a stealth ranger around.. So yeah this stunt got old fast.

Being a grandmaster ranger also gave me affinity with wild animals. This meant I could 'idle' near a deadly bear knowing that few people could disturb me without paying an 'iron price' for doing so..

Due to the confusing learning curve there were a couple occasions where I'd be standing beside a deadly animal and some new player would come trotting up to 'look' at my pet..

"Oh yeah, that, OWCH, is not a, EWWW, pet.. Sorry man. Should I call some next of kin??"

Memories like that, which you can only get in MMOs, is what I found 'made it worthwhile'. I just don't think I'd say the same about a game I'd traded half a year of my life for.. At some point they all seem to turn into this grind of sorts where the magic dries up and you're playing just because of the time you've already put in, not a healthy reason at all.

This is one of the features that I love from MMORPGs but most of my real life friends don't play games that much and especially MMORPGs so I always miss out on this aspect of MMORPGs which is always disappointing. I know you can always make friends through the game to play with but this isn't as fun with your real friends though.

I've played plenty of MMORPGs even though I don't really find their gameplay all that great. The greatest I've ever played is Guild Wars 2 followed closely by WoW. If you can get into the exploration and fantasy aspect of them, they can be fun. They are also more fun to play if you belong to a guild. GW2 without a guild is kind of bland.

What I like is that they can be very social if they are built in a way that encourages social interaction. Not all of them are, and those ones tend to suck.

I used to play Guild Wars 2 during the early years of its release. Haven't played much pc gaming since then.

You must mean months. GW2 was released in August 2012.

GW2 without a guild is kind of bland.

Watching one of my buddies play GW2 I've noticed this too! When he's running around solo it's boring as can be, but when he gets into a group and does events, the game is great to spectate.

At least in the beta (which I tried a bit) there were less 'guilds' and folks were really eager to party up at random, now the game looks like you'd need a guild if you want to just jump in and do something big.

I found it more necessary to have a guild in WoW actually. With Guild Wars 2, I felt like it was awesome to be able to run around solo and still end up doing group events with people around me. It's not required to be in the same group, so you can still get the 'epic combat' fight without even knowing the people around you.

I really don't play a ton of MMORPGs, just because they take up a LOT of time. I'm looking to invest in one though just to see if I could manage. I'm thinking Guild Wars 2 - any other recommendations?

I think the best and the most common is WOW. It's free for beginners (until 20 level i think), but after that you'll have to pay every month. You could also try some Gameforge games - it's F2P ;)

Back