MMORPG's

I've been playing WoW for 7 years now and love it, but I am *not* going to recommend it as something to get into now.

Go with Guild Wars 2. Not only is it awesome and will give you a great mix of things to do....but it's a one-time cost. You won't need a monthly subscription like you do with WoW.

I found it more necessary to have a guild in WoW actually. With Guild Wars 2, I felt like it was awesome to be able to run around solo and still end up doing group events with people around me. It's not required to be in the same group, so you can still get the 'epic combat' fight without even knowing the people around you.

I actually got schooled for making that 'you need a guild in GW2' remark around GW2 players.

Some brilliant soul made a 'looking for group' GW2 website so you go on there and say what you want to do, and then anyone on any server in north america can invite you to join them.

So the net result is that you can party up with this website much faster than you can in-game with a guild. The downside is you don't know/trust the people in the party as they are probably going to be strangers?

I watched a demo of it on Sunday and my buddy went from needing a group to starting a dungeon in less than a minute cause everyone in the group was ready to go/hadn't been waiting for more players!

Well if you're new to a guild, chances are, those people are technically strangers to you, too. You never know who might screw you over, guild or no guild.

Do you know the url of the website? I'd love to be able to find people that way.

Got a bootleg copy of Guild Wars 2 over at a buddies. Going to get down on that this weekend sometime. Haven't played Guild Wars in years. Should be a fun experience.
I've been watching my good friend p,ay League of Legends too. Seems like a reasonably fun game, but not for me. If I did play on PC, I would play a two mouse set up. Yeah, it's a bit out there, but it's what would be most comfortable for that kinda game.

I have really good friend that play MMORPGs like WoW and some other games. I know they use it to socialize since some of the friends are in CA, and a couple of others travel for work. I have wanted to try it but I am afraid that I will get sucked into it and do nothing else.

Got a bootleg copy of Guild Wars 2 over at a buddies. Going to get down on that this weekend sometime. Haven't played Guild Wars in years. Should be a fun experience.

You should really just buy it. There's no monthly fee and you get a ton of content for the price. Plus you don't risk spending all that time on your character only to get banned later once they find out you're using a bootleg, which happens quite often as security updates get issues out. Then you have to start from scratch again if you want to keep playing.

Well if you're new to a guild, chances are, those people are technically strangers to you, too. You never know who might screw you over, guild or no guild.

Do you know the url of the website? I'd love to be able to find people that way.

Too true. Some of the recruiting spam I've seen fly by leads me to think most guilds are composed mostly of random free-for-all signups. :p

Sorry about the lack of a link, I only saw it briefly since it was so quick between tossing his name in there and getting a party invite! The looking for group site is here: http://gw2lfg.com/

I see they have an API too.. Mmm I love me some APIs (my day job)..

If there's lots of GW2 players on here, this forum could offer a way to submit themselves right from a GW2 or MMO section?

You should really just buy it. There's no monthly fee and you get a ton of content for the price. Plus you don't risk spending all that time on your character only to get banned later once they find out you're using a bootleg, which happens quite often as security updates get issues out. Then you have to start from scratch again if you want to keep playing.

Whaaa? I just asked a circle of friends actively playing GW2 and they say this is the first they have heard of anyone playing it without purchase! Crazy!

I guess if the only difference between two copies of the game is a serial code on a disc or game sleeve then that would make it possible to generate keys of exiting copies that haven't sold yet, and you'll be good till someone buys that copy with the key you've been bootlegging?

Personally I'd HAVE to buy the game, not just for moral reasons (I do write code/create content), but also because any persistent game would be terrible to play knowing you'll lose everything at some point in the future, and none of the people you play with will have the same issue (unless they are stealing too?).

Whaaa? I just asked a circle of friends actively playing GW2 and they say this is the first they have heard of anyone playing it without purchase! Crazy!

I guess if the only difference between two copies of the game is a serial code on a disc or game sleeve then that would make it possible to generate keys of exiting copies that haven't sold yet, and you'll be good till someone buys that copy with the key you've been bootlegging?

Personally I'd HAVE to buy the game, not just for moral reasons (I do write code/create content), but also because any persistent game would be terrible to play knowing you'll lose everything at some point in the future, and none of the people you play with will have the same issue (unless they are stealing too?).

It's possible they might just be playing on a private server, but I find those to be extremely boring in MMOs compared to the official servers.

It's not impossible to crack any game, but some of them just aren't worth it. For a time consuming MMO like GW2, the risk of losing your account from being banned doesn't seem worth not paying the $40-60 bucks.

Too true. Some of the recruiting spam I've seen fly by leads me to think most guilds are composed mostly of random free-for-all signups. :p

Sorry about the lack of a link,

Thanks for the link!

And yeah, recruiting spam is ridiculous. I don't think there's any real standard for most of them. They just want the numbers.

For a time consuming MMO like GW2, the risk of losing your account from being banned doesn't seem worth not paying the $40-60 bucks.

Exactly.. The only legit reason is to beta test something, which seems to be the most fun you can have with MMOs.. I just got turned onto the open beta for path of exile on the weekend.

It runs well on my old gray haired computer, looks pretty nice (if you like Diablo) and the game re-invents so many boring stale ideas, including currency, of which there's none in the game..

It doesn't seem to have a ton of beta problems, mostly just balancing out skills/enemies, but it's apparently never going to be a 'paid' game, they are promising it will be free?

Here's the signup link for the beta accounts: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/create

Exactly.. The only legit reason is to beta test something, which seems to be the most fun you can have with MMOs.. I just got turned onto the open beta for path of exile on the weekend.

It runs well on my old gray haired computer, looks pretty nice (if you like Diablo) and the game re-invents so many boring stale ideas, including currency, of which there's none in the game..

It doesn't seem to have a ton of beta problems, mostly just balancing out skills/enemies, but it's apparently never going to be a 'paid' game, they are promising it will be free?

Here's the signup link for the beta accounts: https://www.pathofexile.com/account/create

Yeah i've been playing it for about 2 weeks now and I love it. The fact that there's no currency and how HUUUUGE the skill tree is makes it a blast to explore all the RPG character customization elements rather than an annoying chore. I can't wait for it to be released so it will be more stable and it won't kick you off the server unexpectedly.

Yeah i've been playing it for about 2 weeks now and I love it. The fact that there's no currency and how HUUUUGE the skill tree is makes it a blast to explore all the RPG character customization elements rather than an annoying chore. I can't wait for it to be released so it will be more stable and it won't kick you off the server unexpectedly.

Ahhh I am freaking blessed with my old intel PC at home (knock on wood) and game crashes.. I haven't had a single 'crash to desktop' in the beta of PoE but I only just joined it. I had the same thing with my GW2 beta run, when people were really angry about it crashing, I wasn't having that issue at all..

Must be something to do with high-end computers/graphics cards?

The balance in PoE is SO odd.. You can pretty much just sell all blue items, it's whites with crazy socket counts and natural bonuses that are of value because you can turn a white into a yellow using a transformation stone.. I realized this and now I'm wearing mostly OP'd yellows on my char..

Thing is that even with a pair of really nice wands that can one-hit most enemies, the stupid fire storm skill is a far better/safer strategy due to how OP'd that spell is and the bonuses I have to fire/AOE.. ;p

Ahhh I am freaking blessed with my old intel PC at home (knock on wood) and game crashes.. I haven't had a single 'crash to desktop' in the beta of PoE but I only just joined it. I had the same thing with my GW2 beta run, when people were really angry about it crashing, I wasn't having that issue at all..

Must be something to do with high-end computers/graphics cards?

The balance in PoE is SO odd.. You can pretty much just sell all blue items, it's whites with crazy socket counts and natural bonuses that are of value because you can turn a white into a yellow using a transformation stone.. I realized this and now I'm wearing mostly OP'd yellows on my char..

Thing is that even with a pair of really nice wands that can one-hit most enemies, the stupid fire storm skill is a far better/safer strategy due to how OP'd that spell is and the bonuses I have to fire/AOE.. ;p

It's in beta so how it is balanced currently is not how it will be balanced by the time the game launches. Balance always comes after stabilizing and optimizing the game code.

I currently play RuneScape, but it's mostly because I started playing it young, and it became part of my life. I have over 200 days played, and I feel if I didn't play it when I was young, I wouldn't like it. I've always been eager to try WoW, but never got to it. I would suggest RuneScape to try, because you either love it, or aren't too fond of it. But it is defiantly worth a try, it's free to play for the most part.

The idea of starting from scratch and building up your character is the big draw for me. I will even start characters over to go through the experience again. Take Diablo 3, I am on the second go around with each class after having reached the max level with each guy.

I am no longer an MMO fan, but I used to play them because of the interaction. Before the golden age of online console gaming, the PC was where you'd go to get your fix for online gaming. I played Runescape a lot, because a lot of my friends did, and it was strictly the social aspect that kept me going. Grinding for hours on-end for virtual money and items just doesn't appeal to me by itself.

Back