New, And need some help!

Avos

From
Edrine, Turkey
Hi, I am new to the forum game, and was asking for some help from you guys out there. I have recently moved to Turkey and I am having trouble getting my Live account to work here. I have all the necessary tools to make it work, but it won't connect to the live or sometimes the internet. I don't know if anyone else has ran across this problem, but if anyone has any ideas or tips or something I should do, I'm all ears! Thanks for the help in advance hopefully it'll work!

Alan

I would try to look and see if there is a support number for people in Turkey....Did you purchase the Xbox in the US, or another country other than Turkey? Hope you get it worked out.

my xbox is actually from Italy. It has said a few things about MTU... I don't know if there is something where I need to change regions or what...

more than likely thats your problem. Calling support is your best bet, let us know what they say. I'd be interested in knowing.

my xbox is actually from Italy. It has said a few things about MTU... I don't know if there is something where I need to change regions or what...

I'd love to help with this as I'm pretty good at fixing this exact issue but the troubleshooting requires me knowing more about the make/model of firewall you are running..

In general terms this is very common on Linksys hardware, and typically you need to login to your firewall (usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1) as the admin user (usually "admin" with a blank password or "admin" as the user and password).

In there you need to find the DHCP settings and look for 'MTU'. By default most devices have 'auto' MTU (which is fail-whale on older Linksys hardware), and for XBox Live to be happy you need an MTU of 1364 or better, I just put 1492 in and save the settings. (If you have some crazy WindowsXP computers on the same connection then use 1480 for the MTU)

That should get you connected to XBox live without the intermittent failures..

Where do I need to go to find out my MTU? I have a MacBook if that info is relevant. Sorry I'm really lost on this situation

Where do I need to go to find out my MTU? I have a MacBook if that info is relevant. Sorry I'm really lost on this situation

Wow. It's like you read the first sentence and then replied?

In general terms this is very common on Linksys hardware, and typically:

- you need to login to your firewall (usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1 <- Clickable!)
- usually "admin" with a blank password or "admin" as the user and password
- find the DHCP settings (usually in the setup menu)
- look for 'MTU' setting in that page
- take the MTU off auto and type in 1492
- hit save at the bottom

Ahhh heck, here's a video of a Linksys I'm pretty sure you are NOT using:
[video=youtube;9Y2wDoP0bC0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y2wDoP0bC0[/video]

Want specific help? You'll need to do a bit more than tell me you have a 'MacBook'. You will need to go look at the cable/adsl/fiber/satellite connection that gives you internet and take note of what's hooked up to it.

You can PM if you're worried you'll divulge some sort of 'hackable' secrets. ;)

My login was 192.168.2.1. Airties is the company, model RT-212. I have checked my MTU and it is at 1492. I Have tried to take off all firewalls, but this has not seemed to work. Any other ideas on what to do?

Well if the XBox is saying it's an MTU problem then it's probably just not letting you into the right setting.

An alternate solution is to 'DMZ' the IP that the XBox uses, but that takes a lot more time/effort.

Basically you would 'guess' at an available IP for your network, and tell the xbox (manually) to use those settings...

IP: 192.168.2.221
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.2.1
DNS1: 192.168.2.1
DNS2: 8.8.4.4

Then in your Airties router, look for "DMZ IP" and make sure it is 'enabled' and pointing to the IP we guessed at (192.168.2.221).

After you've done both, and saved both, try going online with your XBox, you REALLY shouldn't get any NAT/MTU errors because there is effectively no longer a firewall in place.

The final issue I see with XBox hardware from overseas is the 'PPPoE' settings that some folks use with older ISPs. I would delete/wipe those PPPoE settings if the live connection is still not working after you've done the above and the test fails.

Back