PC gaming is for Geeks

lindbergh

Do you agree with the notion that PC gaming is for geeks and nerds only? I think this generalization started way back when only whiz kids were mostly the ones using computers and playing games on it while the rest of the kids were out playing under the sun. But given the current state of gaming, what would you think of when you think of PC gamers? Be honest guys. :D
ntan31l.jpg

I wish I could evolve back into PC gaming. So many amazing titles calling my name. Maybe I'll invest in getting a computer by the years end so I can be a geek again like Kamo! : p

I do not like the nerd label. I am many things. I love PC gaming. If you think I am a nerd, I do not care. I do not do a lot of upgrades that other players do. I guess there is a spectrum of nerds.

What does nerd or geek even mean these days? So many idiots that happen to watch a sci-fi movie or two go on facebook and post stupid statuses like "OMG LOL I SAW STAR WARS I'M SUCH A NERD XD XD XD". It's not even an insult anymore, I think? Apparently these days it's cool to be one, so if playing PC games makes you a nerd, go make a status about it on facebook, you might as well spike the sales on PC titles.

I think any sort of gaming could potentially lead to "nerd" status. Not just computer games. Whether you play Warcraft, Halo, or CoD you're a gamer. One shouldn't label someone as a particular title any more than another. People can play all of these in excess or a normal amount. I think if you're playing a healthy amount of games you're just "normal."

Nah. It takes more than being a PC owner to be a geek. Science. comics. sci-fi etc. I should know, I love all those.

As soon as operating a toaster makes me a a chef, sure, PC gaming is for geeks.

Until then, getting a PC build together and playing games on it it's easy as following a bunch of instructions.

"PC games are only for geeks" Is so absurd because you're missing out on a lot of fun if you've never played a PC game or used it to your advantage. You can play a lot of games that are for the consoles on the PC too!

I think that label fo Nerd or Geek has changed over the past few years. And that has a lot to do with the success of the Big Bank Theory. In my opinion that one show has made the so called geeks and nerds of the world a little cooler.

I hope geeks is a compliment and not an insult. I love my PC gaming.

I think geek is just a silly term really. People into computers, especially PC gaming - well I suppose some may call them geeks, but it's interesting and cool so it's not a bad thing!

If you think about it, console gaming is more for nerds. Because you invest money in something that only plays games! Investing money in a device you know its created with only one purpose, to play games, makes it sound pretty geeky. Computers can do a lot of things beside play games... and maybe people who still use computers for games, enjoy strategy games like starcraft or games like league of legends, that can't be played on a console because it doesn't have a mouse.

I don't agree with it.

People are so confused with the term nerds and geeks. Just because you play video games don't make you either or. In fact, video games has nothing to do what so ever with being a geek or a nerd.

You can say that again, but considering the fact that I play more PC games than other gaming consoles, maybe I am a geek because I am always glued to my laptop and the internet :)

Your consoles are also high end PC's, so I guess your calling all gamers 'nerds'.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Well considering I myself have and always will be a nerd I don't think it matters. I have been PC gaming for quite a bit of my life but it never stopped me from getting out and having fun with my friends, I think some of the biggest influences on PC gaming being related to nerds is something like Warcraft which is stereotypically played by fat men lazy men or loser nerds covered in pimples. Honestly though I think it's far from a nerd only thing I mean gaming in general has changed quite a bit over the years and a lot of people play games today even on the PC. I'm not even sure if the demographic for PC gamer's is still even mostly teenage boys anymore.

...I don't generally think it's for geeks, but sometimes you'll see or hear someone chatting on about PC gaming and they come across like comic book store guy off of the Simpsons. That's when I'm thinking they're a dork or whatever because it is never that serious. It really isn't. Use a computer or use a console - just shut up about it.

I don't consider such a statement like that is rather true. I'm not the biggest fan of PC gaming, but from time to time I do play games on my PC, and I will admit, I am nowhere close to being a geek! I did good in school and stuff, but I was just one of the regular students that the teacher didn't care about that much. Back to the question, I think that myth started because of all the reality television shows that have come out. For example, the show called The Big Bang Theory. There's three nerds that happen to be scentists, and they love PC gaming in their spare time.

Back