Xbox One Steam Box: Is it even a competition?

Today, if it weren't for Steam, PC gaming probably wouldn't exist.

A bit of an overstatement but I get you. The point is that this thing is slightly different, Steam merely gave users an alternative to get their games. Steambox is going for something more ambitious. The worst thing is I am not sure what their target audience is. I doubt the hardcore PC gamers will switch and they don't have the resources to compete with the Big 3.

A bit of an overstatement but I get you. The point is that this thing is slightly different, Steam merely gave users an alternative to get their games. Steambox is going for something more ambitious. The worst thing is I am not sure what their target audience is. I doubt the hardcore PC gamers will switch and they don't have the resources to compete with the Big 3.

Alternative? Good luck finding any PC games in brick and mortar retail stores. My local Best Buy doesn't even have PC games anymore.

SteamBox will be marketed towards gamers. In order to get into PC gaming, you pretty much have to know how to build and support your own rig. While that isn't hard, it is the kind of thing lots of people don't know how to do. I have lots of friends who are former PC gamers who just don't bother to keep their PC upgraded. If the cost is right, the SteamBox could open up a huge library of games that otherwise people wouldn't have access too.

It is refreshing to see a new competitor arise. They planned this for a long time I think, since the Big Picture UI came out some time ago. I used to play Steam games a lot when I was in college, but not so much these days. The problem is that I can also install Steam on my PC again and don't find the use of the steam box. Maybe I'm missing something here...

Then you're not the market of Steam. The market they're going for could be the gamer who plays PC games but doesn't like the idea of upgrading and the new gamer who finds Steam games amazing. But I'm just guessing here. Well, if you don't have the need of the Steam Box, then you're not the market at all. So no problem there.

But what Steam is trying to do is reach out to a wider audience, to the people who have never ever played a PC game before. The notion of PC games these days is they're only playable on monitors and only in a room. Steam is changing that; Big Picture, In-Home Streaming, SteamOS and now, the Steam Box. It's like making PC gaming a console gaming thing.

Then you're not the market of Steam. The market they're going for could be the gamer who plays PC games but doesn't like the idea of upgrading and the new gamer who finds Steam games amazing. But I'm just guessing here. Well, if you don't have the need of the Steam Box, then you're not the market at all. So no problem there.

But what Steam is trying to do is reach out to a wider audience, to the people who have never ever played a PC game before. The notion of PC games these days is they're only playable on monitors and only in a room. Steam is changing that; Big Picture, In-Home Streaming, SteamOS and now, the Steam Box. It's like making PC gaming a console gaming thing.

I liked the way you put it! Never thought of it like that! The part about people who never played a PC game before is harder for me to believe, but still, you make good points, especially about not wanting to upgrade all the time. Last time I upgraded my PC I bought the latest everything so I wont have to upgrade for 3-4 years and guess what? Haswell processors came out! Glad DDRAM 4 is not out yet, then I will surely have to upgrade!

Wow. You got it home, marthy. That's right. Steam isn't aiming for the current market who don't need it. It's for the new market that clearly have an interest but feels like PC making is tedious. They're basically trying to make the PC making for them. It's basically like a console, but it's the PC. And Steam of course is giving the option to upgrade Steam Box to some degree. Yup, so Steam Box may just be an interesting option to have in the world of gaming.

I liked the way you put it! Never thought of it like that! The part about people who never played a PC game before is harder for me to believe, but still, you make good points, especially about not wanting to upgrade all the time. Last time I upgraded my PC I bought the latest everything so I wont have to upgrade for 3-4 years and guess what? Haswell processors came out! Glad DDRAM 4 is not out yet, then I will surely have to upgrade!

Marthy indeed makes a good point. Yup, it might be hard to believe that some people don't play PC games but actually, I know of a few people who actually don't play PC games. Some of them would rather stick to the console. But I know of some people who like PC games but don't want to upgrade. So Steam is doing their best to reach out to a wider audience. Think of it this way: they're making PC games accessible to other people. I like that.

Thanks my man. Glad you like the point I made. Yup, it's hard to believe indeed there are some people who never played a PC game and it's easy to believe there are some people who don't want to upgrade. But Steam doesn't head out for the hardcore PC gamers who have no need for it; they're definitely going for the people I mentioned. It's all about getting more and more people to play PC games but all in the living room.

But it's not just that my friend. Think: with the Steam Box, Steam is bringing in PC games we all thought couldn't be done in the living room. Surgeon Simulator 2013, Starbound, FTL: Faster than Light, Chivalry... games like these have the chance to be in the living room. I mean, the fact that we'll be doing weird surgery in SS2013 in the TV just has me suddenly excited. Even Amnesia can finally be a part of the HDTV world. But if that doesn't appeal you, it's fine. You're not the market for this. Steam is looking for people who are excited what I just mentioned.

Finally, somebody made a great point. Yup, I agree with you there. If somebody doesn't see the point in the Steam Box, then clearly they're not the market at all. Steam is reaching out to new gamers who have the interest in PC but have no desire to buy a PC or upgrade. Hmmmm... makes me think I'm part of the market or just somebody who wants to play all the latest PC games without having to think about GPUs or whatever.

If the price remains below $600 then it will be a huge hit to the market. I think that Valve could easily take over both the PC and console market within the next 2 years. But would the rise in more people using steam make Valve have less deals? Hopefully more deals will come out of this. If the price is over $600, then people won't really consider it. Microsoft and Sony already have a lot of customer loyalty, and that's hard to take away.

If the price remains below $600 then it will be a huge hit to the market. I think that Valve could easily take over both the PC and console market within the next 2 years. But would the rise in more people using steam make Valve have less deals? Hopefully more deals will come out of this. If the price is over $600, then people won't really consider it. Microsoft and Sony already have a lot of customer loyalty, and that's hard to take away.

Yeah, you make a good point there. It's like Steam is the new kid on the block. PC-wise, it'll be easy to rule in buyers but in the console side, that's where Steam has to prove themselves. I think they can still have deals. That's what makes Steam awesome; the deals. They got their ways. Well, we shall see how well they can do their thing when Steam Box comes out next year.

Good point indeed. As PS4 and Xbox One sales have proven, the price was a big factor. And of course, the loyalty. Steam's got to prove that they're good enough to be bought with Steam Box. Steam's already seen how PS4 and Xbox One hit it right, so let's see them prove themselves.

I think Steam Box will be a major competitor, it will allow people to play PC games without the need for a high end expensive PC.
Pair that with the constant barrage of sales that Steam offers and you have an amazing combo.

I think Steam Box will be a major competitor, it will allow people to play PC games without the need for a high end expensive PC.
Pair that with the constant barrage of sales that Steam offers and you have an amazing combo.

Also, it brings PC games into the living room. Think about that: we get to play Surgeon Simulator 2013, Chivalry, Total War: Rome II, Tropico 4, Starbound, and all of those other PC-exclusives in the HDTV. He, even DOTA 2 gets a play too. And Garry's Mod! Ohohohohoho... The possibilities are endless.

Also, it brings PC games into the living room. Think about that: we get to play Surgeon Simulator 2013, Chivalry, Total War: Rome II, Tropico 4, Starbound, and all of those other PC-exclusives in the HDTV. He, even DOTA 2 gets a play too. And Garry's Mod! Ohohohohoho... The possibilities are endless.

Whoa, Garry's Mod... damn son, that could be awesome! Sure, it does need the intricacies of the PC to make it work a bit but since Steam supports it to the brim, they can make something work to have it function on the Steam Box. And Starbound..... awwwwwwww damn. And....Holy smokes: ARMA 3. DAYZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Possibilites are so freakin' endless!

Whoa, Garry's Mod... damn son, that could be awesome! Sure, it does need the intricacies of the PC to make it work a bit but since Steam supports it to the brim, they can make something work to have it function on the Steam Box. And Starbound..... awwwwwwww damn. And....Holy smokes: ARMA 3. DAYZ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Possibilites are so freakin' endless!

Wahahahaha. Man, I forgot about ARMA 3. Man, that will have gamers out there saying Battlefield and Call of Duty are nothing more than small towns compared to Arma 3's map. Wohohohohoh. I can see that happening.

Man, marthy and spark are really hyped for the PC games eh? I'm sorta hyped too. Thinking about it, when PC games do make it in the living room, it'll be something. I mean, DAYZ is going to be awesome when you play in the living room. A world where you have to strive to survive with zombies? Damn. There's so much we can all play in PC games so seeing it make being put into the living room.... I'm in.

Just imagine: the Steam Box has all the cool stuff of Steam in your living room. Then, you just sit back, buy a sale, download it and play. Oh yes.... PC gaming will be changed forever! I'm just excited to actually play something like Arma 3 or even the Just Cause 2 multiplayer mod!

Not sure, depends how they implement it (haven't done much reading on it). If everything I buy/own for the Steam Box I can play from my steam account on my PC, then I say it will be wonderful. One major downside to my steam library (and why I don't buy as many games) is that when I travel, I can't play them on my laptop because it isn't as powerful. Give me a gaming system I can easily take with me, and all that changes.

Not sure, depends how they implement it (haven't done much reading on it). If everything I buy/own for the Steam Box I can play from my steam account on my PC, then I say it will be wonderful. One major downside to my steam library (and why I don't buy as many games) is that when I travel, I can't play them on my laptop because it isn't as powerful. Give me a gaming system I can easily take with me, and all that changes.

Yup, that's true. Alienware can do that for you. But if you feel that, then you're not the market either. Steam is looking to expand its market to those who have interest in PC gaming but have no budget to upgrade or interest to upgrade. They may also look for those who have a PC but would love to stream. They don't have to market it to the gamer who already has a PC; they're reaching out to the console market.

There are many reasons why the Steambox could be a huge hit. If they manage to keep the price down and are really giving us a system that we can take on the go that gives us all the benefits of PC and Steam without the hassle of trying to upgrade then there is no reason why they couldn't be successful. I'd like to see them try it out, even if the Steambox fails they still have a very succesful service to fall back on.

Back