Xbox One The newest Tomb Raider

luck'o'theeIrish

What are your thoughts on the newest game in the Tomb Raider franchise? I know the storyline has it acting as a prequel to explain how Lara became the 'Tomb Raider' but I just don't know if it really "fits" in with the feel of the other games.

I guess they're just trying to carry it on now for the sake of carrying it on and for the sake of making more money. Not to say it's bad, but it does start feeling repetitive and mundane. The classic "going back to the beginning to fool people into thinking it's new content" strategy has been employed in the latest Tom Raider but it doesn't really feel all that new. But it's still playable and a fun addition to any Tomb Raider fan's collection.

I haven't had any interest in buying the newest Tomb Raider games; I think there are two now? (On next gen consoles, I mean.) The style of the game seems to have changed over the years. Where before Tomb Raiders were action/adventure games with a lot of exploration and puzzles, now they seem to be more survival based. Watching gameplay of Tomb Raider on Twitch, it actually reminds me more of Far Cry than any of the old Tomb Raider titles.

I guess they're just trying to carry it on now for the sake of carrying it on and for the sake of making more money.

I think you're right about this. The new game is alright--in fact, in terms of visuals, it's great--but it's strayed too far from the feel of the 'classic' Tomb Raider for me.

My thoughts are that the game is good but it's significantly different from early Tomb Raiders. I don't have a problem with that, though. I know they have to 'reinvent' franchise titles every so often to keep people interested.

Back