The Sims lack of story

Jules

I used to be a big fan of The Sims. I've played each of the games, most recently the Sims 3. I haven't played the expansion packs for the 3rd one. I really wish the games came with more of a storyline though.

I enjoy playing The Sims, too! But yeah, I wish there were more of a storyline. I like the idea of fulfilling your Sim's wishes, but actually doing that is either really hard or not worth it.

I haven't played The Sims yet. Somebody said they thought it was kind of like Farmville where you build things. I was thinking it was more comprehensive than that.

I haven't played The Sims yet. Somebody said they thought it was kind of like Farmville where you build things. I was thinking it was more comprehensive than that.

It is, but it's still kind of similar to Farmville. Instead of taking care of crops and animals, you take care of a person. There's more things to do than just grow food (and collect things), but it's not like a regular video game with a plot and stuff.

I was looking at The Sims earlier and it almost doesn't seem like a game. You don't have a conclusion unless your Sims person dies, do you? I've seen something called The Sims Medieval which I assume is one of the modules.

There really is no conclusion to the game. Even if your Sim dies then you have their offspring to care for. It keeps going. That's kind of why I like it though. There is no end of the game, you can play with the same characters and settings for as long as you want. If you get bored, build another house with a new family.

There really is no conclusion to the game. Even if your Sim dies then you have their offspring to care for. It keeps going. That's kind of why I like it though. There is no end of the game, you can play with the same characters and settings for as long as you want. If you get bored, build another house with a new family.

Exactly! And there's expansion packs, too, where you can live in a medieval town or go exploring around the world, and so on. It's maybe not the most exciting game ever, but it's a lot of fun.

Exactly! And there's expansion packs, too, where you can live in a medieval town or go exploring around the world, and so on. It's maybe not the most exciting game ever, but it's a lot of fun.

Have you tried those expansion packs? I'm curious about the medieval version. I agree it's not all that exciting when it comes to the actual game play but it is fun when you create your own storyline or if you have a goal. I've even heard of people making their own challenges to accomplish.

The goal in Sims is usually to attain all the traits into maximum or be highest priced home in the area. I played Sims before but I don't play that long because I become bored with the monotony of the game: eat, play, work, sleep then do it over and over again.

The fact that it doesn't have a conclusion makes it more interesting to me. I like the idea of a continuing story or whatever. It also sounds as if you have a lot of latitude in terms of creating stories. Is Sims anything like Second Life?

If you were new to Sims, which version should you get? Sims 3? Or can you just play one of the expansion packs on its own?

You know I don't play the Sims but I am glad I read this thread. My daughter plays it often and I really had no idea what it was. I mean I knew it wasn't a bad game for her to play. I'm going to have to give it a go because it sounds pretty fun!

The Sims 3 is the best to start with. You have to have the game to play the expansion packs, they aren't standalone games except the Medieval one, I think?

It is kind of similar to Second Life but without the internet interaction. Plus you have to eat and take care of hygiene.

I was reading about Sims Medieval and it's different from the other Sims in that there is a conclusion. You can win the game if you achieve an ambition such as Imperial Domination. The other Sims games are open-ended, right?

I was reading about Sims Medieval and it's different from the other Sims in that there is a conclusion. You can win the game if you achieve an ambition such as Imperial Domination. The other Sims games are open-ended, right?

I think so, yes. There are achievements you can get, and I assume once you get them all the game is technically "done," but you can still keep playing.

I think so, yes. There are achievements you can get, and I assume once you get them all the game is technically "done," but you can still keep playing.

No, the game doesn't have any ending at all, you are never done on the computer version. You can play to meet the goals or not, but there really is not end to the achievements you can have.

I've been a fan of the Sims since the second game came out. I haven't played the original Sims, but Sims 3 got me hooked. From what I've heard, the fact that is doesn't have an ending is what made it so popular. I tend to think that if the creators did decide to give the game a conclusion, it would lose some of its fans...

I love The Sims games, but I have not played any recent Sims games. It is a really good messing around game, if you just want to waste time. I always giggle at the sounds the people make, when they talk.

I always giggle at the sounds the people make, when they talk.

Haha, yes it actually has a name. It's called Simlish. There is also music. A couple bands have recorded songs for the game in Simlish. I thought that was kind of cute.

There is no conclusion. The basic goal is to build a dynasty of sims. For example, you create a character named Heath Sanders. He marries a woman in the town named Sandy Jackson. They have kids, and it becomes the Sanders' family. Eventually you can keep playing and playing on and on. Before you know it you can have the great-great-great grandson of Heath if you want.

Back