Xbox One Two Assassin's Creed games reportedly in development for 2014

KN1GHTMARE

Former Moderator
From
NJ
Website
socialclub.rockstargames.com
Kim
According to Examiner sources said to be familiar with the projects, one is being developed for PS4 and Xbox One, while the other is being developed for PS3 and Xbox 360. How PC and Wii U releases fit into the equation isn't covered in the report, which also claims that the franchise "is under a massive re-scope".

Approached today about the claims made in the report, a spokesperson for Ubisoft told CVG the company doesn't comment on rumours or speculation.

Source: CVG

Well I'm still loving AC4 so I won't complain about more of what I love; I just hope the projects aren't rushed and therefore feel inferior to what I'm currently playing. Granted this is all just rumor, but I think its a safe assumption that its fact. What do your guys think?

i kinda at least one was comming for 2014... an odds are it was in development beside ac4:black flag. which means it will feel exactly like black flag just a reskin which was pretty much 99% bound to happen.

have to take into account that one of the biggest undertakings was the navel/water navigation and dynamics. the general feel of assasins creed games are about the same from the start just with better shading and graphics. the same lame parkor style acrobatics have stayed in lace with little to no change. and the horrible fighting dynamics have gone unchanged from the 360 games..

I'm so tired of AC games. Everything after the 2nd game feels like it doesn't add much. I'd rather have a new IP.

I'm not surprised to hear that another Assassin's Creed is in the works, but I really wish they'd slow down and focus on producing games of the utmost quality. The way their games are releasing closer and closer together is just reminding me more and more of Call of Duty... And that's NOT a complement.

Eh, another AC was expected for next year.

have to take into account that one of the biggest undertakings was the navel/water navigation and dynamics. the general feel of assasins creed games are about the same from the start just with better shading and graphics. the same lame parkor style acrobatics have stayed in lace with little to no change. and the horrible fighting dynamics have gone unchanged from the 360 games..

That was Key's point in relation to the Xbox One and PS4 version of AC4. You're not going to change everything about a game dramatically when it's easier to just keep the mechanics that you're using for the consoles with much, much larger install bases than the newer ones. It's basically a waste of resources when you could just slap a better coat of paint on the game for Gen8 consoles and send it out.

It's either that or don't put the game out at all for Gen8.

Ubisoft said they'd ride that horse until it's time to take it to the glue and dog food factory (people say "Knock it off with that.")

I like the new change that they made in 4 which was really more of a story builder then anything else. Now that they've introduced us to the new storyline the next game should do better. Though I'm not happy about having to buy two different games and I'm curious to see which studios are working on these games. It couldn't be Ubisoft Montreal doing both?

Eh, another AC was expected for next year.

That was Key's point in relation to the Xbox One and PS4 version of AC4. You're not going to change everything about a game dramatically when it's easier to just keep the mechanics that you're using for the consoles with much, much larger install bases than the newer ones. It's basically a waste of resources when you could just slap a better coat of paint on the game for Gen8 consoles and send it out.

It's either that or don't put the game out at all for Gen8.

well they really set it up with ac4... they basically put in the story line a new building (abstergo spelling...) to expect very very similar games and many historic events. even stated how it will work basically.. they did a good job with graphics and shading but they need to start working on the mechanics of the game. they could also start tweeing the stealth aspect.. the stealth aspect feels exactly the same thru the game.

if they really plan on riding this horse and pony show to the bank they may want to dress it up a bit we all see how the gammer community feels about rehashes ... cod..... and the word reboot... at some point ubisoft is going to turn people off at the games without more invested in them.

I'm not surprised to hear that another Assassin's Creed is in the works, but I really wish they'd slow down and focus on producing games of the utmost quality. The way their games are releasing closer and closer together is just reminding me more and more of Call of Duty... And that's NOT a complement.

This is EXACTLY what I was thinking! Oh boy...Assassin's Creed is turning into Call of Duty.

well they really set it up with ac4... they basically put in the story line a new building (abstergo spelling...) to expect very very similar games and many historic events. even stated how it will work basically.. they did a good job with graphics and shading but they need to start working on the mechanics of the game. they could also start tweeing the stealth aspect.. the stealth aspect feels exactly the same thru the game.

Man the stealth mechanics need some work, seriously. Tenchu, Metal Gear Solid for the most part, and Splinter Cell had the stealth elements you should look at if you're focusing on stealth in your game. AC's is like...not all that stealth like really. The parkour could use some work as well.

Man the stealth mechanics need some work, seriously. Tenchu, Metal Gear Solid for the most part, and Splinter Cell had the stealth elements you should look at if you're focusing on stealth in your game. AC's is like...not all that stealth like really. The parkour could use some work as well.

the stealth mechanics are an absolute huge part of ac4... you can charge on a good bit of the missions but id say 25% of the missions require you to hide/track/be invisible. sooo much of the game is almost built as a puzzle of where you can walk/hide and listen and where you cant. when you are tracking to listen to conversations.. when you are on roof tops avoiding being seen.

the general stealth play and parkour could use a dose of Batman Arkham Asylum which has by far the best mix of stealth/force and parkour... and at least in batman arkham the acrobatics make human sense. which no assasins creed game does at all. ive posted it many times at how over the top and impossible the play/parkour is in these games. from the climbing/jumping to 50 story drops into hay absolutely no aspec of these games feels natural.

i enjoy ac4 because someone finally decided to take on the pirate life in a game with a long enough story line and navel aspect to make the purchase worth a shot... they only way i have placed or have a assasins reed game is from the free(xbox live on 360) past that the series wontbe getting my money..

abandon the parkour crap and i might jump on board. but it will never happen.

Do you think they'll be able to lay out a quality game in such a short time frame? I'm concerned that things might feel rushed.

Do you think they'll be able to lay out a quality game in such a short time frame? I'm concerned that things might feel rushed.

i think they can push 2 games out in 2014... because it will be a reskin of what is on the market. dont expect surface/lighting shading tweeks or any real new advancments in tec.. expect both new games to play and feel like ac4/ac3 dont expect any graphic improvments.. we all talk about cod just reskining and not caring about the "game" well ubisoft is tied with them in my mind. they have changed almost nothing since ac2. same play dynamics,same movement style,same stealth /combat... nothing has changed but the lable and the visual que to what time period and backstory they are covering.

I'd say they're close to tied. The AC series focuses on the story part whereas FPS (not just CoD which usually ends up being the representative for the genre) and even sports games, some fighters, etc. tends to plug out the same and focus on multiplayer (and maybe adding new stuff, but the gameplay is still roughly the same as before). I think the dividing line between AC and BF/CoD is that there is a great amount of room for improvement in the game to make it drastically different.

Some fighting game franchises might attempt something different like when SNK and Capcom added extra fighters to use in a bout and Tekken and KI-level combos (which added something new while still being 90% the same game), since they're 2D they're not going to be able to change thing up much further like a Tekken, Bloody Roar, Tobal, Battle Arena Toshiden, etc. could.

Sports games? Well you can make arcade style sports games or "street" versions, but that wouldn't innovate the main money making thing. It would take the actual sport going full blown Mutant League for sports games to see any actual innovation outside of new graphics and better control and AI.

FPS...well...they've been plugging the same thing since the Doom/Wolf days. They're not going to say all of sudden "We're done with guns, we're going to switch to blunt objects and bladed weapons!" Hell, they won't even have a bite at muskets.

So AC while it's in a rut, it's not in as hard as CoD/BF.

Great two versions for two gens instead of a lousy port. Good to hear that Ubisoft isn't taking the easy way. Let's just hope that Ubi is going to have two teams working on it so that it won't be a rush job.

I'd say they're close to tied. The AC series focuses on the story part whereas FPS (not just CoD which usually ends up being the representative for the genre) and even sports games, some fighters, etc. tends to plug out the same and focus on multiplayer (and maybe adding new stuff, but the gameplay is still roughly the same as before). I think the dividing line between AC and BF/CoD is that there is a great amount of room for improvement in the game to make it drastically different.

Some fighting game franchises might attempt something different like when SNK and Capcom added extra fighters to use in a bout and Tekken and KI-level combos (which added something new while still being 90% the same game), since they're 2D they're not going to be able to change thing up much further like a Tekken, Bloody Roar, Tobal, Battle Arena Toshiden, etc. could.

Sports games? Well you can make arcade style sports games or "street" versions, but that wouldn't innovate the main money making thing. It would take the actual sport going full blown Mutant League for sports games to see any actual innovation outside of new graphics and better control and AI.

FPS...well...they've been plugging the same thing since the Doom/Wolf days. They're not going to say all of sudden "We're done with guns, we're going to switch to blunt objects and bladed weapons!" Hell, they won't even have a bite at muskets.

So AC while it's in a rut, it's not in as hard as CoD/BF.

i have a hard time bundling ac up with sports,fps.. i used cod as an example of rehash/same old thing time and time again not general game play.

sprts games well in general are just that its hard to drastically change something that is pretty much set in stone and falls under a "sheild" like nba,nfl,soccar. you could go nba street hooks/and1 or nfl blitz ect ect.. but in all your after the team logo/players only big improvements is the ability to make plays and general streamline aspect /graphics.

with assasins creed they aretaking an event in history and multiple directions at that storyline.. from various aspects/religions and getting you to a point where it feels real enough to appease the masses... most all the games are based around the templars/allumanati fountin of youth type of thing.

where ac games could really step it up is dialing the off the wall antics and general acrobatics that well dont fit. most everyone would be fine with normal walking and possibly useing a grappling hook to scale specific walls. general croutching and stuff normal people do. they did a good job with naval warfare in the blackflag it adds to the game and for most people i have talked to that play tend to get off the storyline and get more involved in the naval warfare stuff or just sailing around. i am 25% done with the game and actually dont care to play it anymore. i dont see me getting the seasonpass as i dont feel much could be added to make the game any better...

i will be buying bf4/forza5 seasonpass tho.

Some friends of mine kept mentioning that the AC should've just focused on naval stuff in the future. It wouldn't be a AC game then. As much as they annoy me, the present day stuff-historical stuff is what makes it AC and always has. With that present day stuff you just have a pirate game that would get one sequel at most or get just as repetitious. I actually believe that Ubisoft wanted to just make a pirate game--which they should've--but wanted to keep a tight roster of "top team" games.

...which the pirate game could've become and just close the door at 4 or 5 titles to focus strongly on while tossing out other titles here and there.

I wouldn't include sports games since it's expected it's the exact same game year by year. No one really says "I wish they'd do this or do that," when it comes to improving sports games. I would say they could go every 2 years since your game doesn't give you a cliffhanger in franchise/season mode during the Super Bowl/World Series/Playoffs and tell you to wait next game to see what happens. Outside of that, rosters can be updated regularly.

...and even if companies did do that, what twist could they do that would warrant a sports game every year? "The Super Bowl was a dream! It's raining fire and the crowd is melting! Cyborgs are attacking the stadium!"

Some friends of mine kept mentioning that the AC should've just focused on naval stuff in the future. It wouldn't be a AC game then. As much as they annoy me, the present day stuff-historical stuff is what makes it AC and always has. With that present day stuff you just have a pirate game that would get one sequel at most or get just as repetitious. I actually believe that Ubisoft wanted to just make a pirate game--which they should've--but wanted to keep a tight roster of "top team" games.

...which the pirate game could've become and just close the door at 4 or 5 titles to focus strongly on while tossing out other titles here and there.

i think ubisoft could have had a new "ip" with the pirate game.. it could have made a real world feeling game and tested the waters on what the consumer wants apart from ac titles. with the navel obviously being a big part of the game. the first game could be built around building your stronghold/cove/town. they could have done a bit around tips on shiping/pirating of british ships on deliveries. maybe even multiple ship types instead of just one.

Touching a bit on what sc_shark said (and a good point was made), I think AC4 was their attempt at testing the waters with a stand-alone, based in Golden Age of Piracy only series. AC is a safe series that it could sale and be used as a testing vehicle. When the last generation began it left less room for testing the waters with a stand alone game and the bar for success had to be moderate sales above.

Let's say Ubisoft released a game..."Black Flag" or (what I'd prefer) "Sid Meier's Pirates II"...in the 1990s-early 2000s they could've gotten a franchise in that time that probably would've been up doing decently in sales, extremely good, or bombed even if everyone clamored about how good the game was. Ubisoft probably would've gone ahead and done it again and raked up those sales with the second and third entry while riding on that temporary bump in mainstream popularity for pirates with the Pirates of the Caribbean movies (it wouldn't be on the same scale of zombie movies and superhero movies being a big deal, but you know...whatever).

In the 2010s it's a bit uncertain. Sure there are people who love the pirate era and tales/exploits from the period, but there's no mainstream measuring stick to go with at the moment for a long period. Zombies have a long, long shelf life, the superhero fandom is even longer, but harder to whittle into a game to end all games for that particular fandom, vampires and werewolves had a good period that wasn't really jumped on with games outside of Castlevania which had been rocking vampires since the 80s, heck mech and kaiju could get a bump soon-ish.

Pirates don't have that luxury, so the best idea would be to bundle it in with a successful franchise. With the big budgets some studios run with these days, there's little room for a test the market type game that isn't really similar to anything mainstream on consoles (PC have games like Port Royale, Tortuga, the Guild 2 pirate expansion, various pirate mods for different games, etc) so it was pretty wise to make a pirate game with a tried and true franchise and just make sure that Templars and Assassins are...hanging around as the paint to make sure it sells while trying something out.

Back