Xbox 360 Was Gamefly a large part of your experience?

Esperahol

I liked gamefly, but I used it more for my PS2 then for my 360. I'm not exactly sure why... maybe because the wait list was so much smaller or because there were just more games I happened to be interested in onPS2 then 360. What about you was/is this a service you honestly made a large part of your gaming experience with this console or did it just not matter?

No, I have never used Gamefly and never will. I always think of it as a scam for some reason, and they will somehow put a fee on you for playing trials, or demos of the game. I will always search for reviews, gameplay videos and buy it instead of trying out a demo for it. In my opinion, demos are always too short, and I compare it to food samples. You take a sample, eatit, think "huh, that's pretty good" or "that tasted disgusting" and walk away without thinking about buying it. It's to satisfy your hunger, not to actually buy the sub/sandwich.

I've never used GameFly or any rental service for games. I can see the appeal for some people that just want to play through a game, but I see collecting the games as part of a hobby. I pride myself on some of the more interesting picks in my collection, for example a collectors edition of AC1 in a metal tin, it's not much but it's just a nice thing to have. I have used GameFly on the PC to by games though and I can't really say anything bad about it, it gets the job done just as well as Steam or any of the other digital distributors.

It's weird, I've never used it and I don't know anyone else who has either, but I always kind of thought Gamefly seemed like a good deal. I'm not really the type who buys a lot of games, but I know a lot of people who are, and it sure seems like Gamefly would be a way cheaper alternative when you consider a new game being $60 and really consider the amount of play time you get out of it. I tend to think this service won't last too long though as online downloads of games become more and more prevalent which seem inevitable to me...

It's not worth it. I tried a free trial, and it was alright (considering it was free), but you pretty much have to send games back right away for it to be worth the money. If that's the case, then you're not going to be able to play games very much. And what is it, like 25 or 30 bucks a month? No thanks; I'd much rather buy all my games than pay such an absurd amount.

I've never used it, although I've wanted to for some time. When I was a kid, I wasn't able to convince my folks that it was a cheaper and more convenient way to try new games and purchase the ones I like, and as I got older, I became set in my ways of researching games and/or trying them at a friend's house or via XBL demos. While I have yet to use it, I've never wrote it off, and it seems to be a great service, as long as you're decisive about what games you actually want to buy (it wouldn't be optimal to re-rent the same game several times in a row, obviously).

I think it's cheaper to just buy games you want to try, as long as you aren't buying them right after release date. At ~$30 per month, Gamefly is very expensive. During my month-long trial, I think I played maybe three games, and I didn't even keep them that long. Even if you play 4 or 5, you're essentially paying around $5 just to try them out. If you buy a new game for around $20 and end up not liking it, you can sell it for as much as possible and get back almost all of your money if you're lucky. Sometimes I've gotten lucky and have actually made money re-selling games I didn't enjoy.

I've never actually use Gamefly myself but I had quite a few friends that did. One friend actually didn't buy games anymore and just decided to use Gamefly for every game he wanted to play and I guess it turned out fine for him.
I would probably play more games if I had it but I think I'm fine with just playing a new game every couple of months or so when I find one I really want to buy. Although Gamefly has seemed to me like it's getting quite popular now considering I see ad's for it everywhere I go.

If your goal is to play one game for, like, a whole day, then it's fine. But really they're in it to make money, and they're going to do just that regardless. If it works for you, then go for it. But like I said, it's much more cost-efficient to wait for games to drop in price and just buy them new. That, or you can try to borrow a copy from someone.

No, I have never used Gamefly and never will. I always think of it as a scam for some reason, and they will somehow put a fee on you for playing trials, or demos of the game. I will always search for reviews, gameplay videos and buy it instead of trying out a demo for it. In my opinion, demos are always too short, and I compare it to food samples. You take a sample, eatit, think "huh, that's pretty good" or "that tasted disgusting" and walk away without thinking about buying it. It's to satisfy your hunger, not to actually buy the sub/sandwich.

... It isn't a demo service. Gamefly is a video game rental company that lets you rent a game(s) for as long as you want. It has a monthly fee starting from $9. You can rent from 1 to 3 games at a time and it comes with a self-addressed envelope that handles all postal fees. Also I personally feel like demos are a better product than gameplay videos and reviews. There is always a bias with reviews and videos that there isn't when actually playing through.

It's weird, I've never used it and I don't know anyone else who has either, but I always kind of thought Gamefly seemed like a good deal. I'm not really the type who buys a lot of games, but I know a lot of people who are, and it sure seems like Gamefly would be a way cheaper alternative when you consider a new game being $60 and really consider the amount of play time you get out of it. I tend to think this service won't last too long though as online downloads of games become more and more prevalent which seem inevitable to me...

It's been going on for over what? 5-6 years at this point. I had Gamefly for a while and I loved it. I'd play through a game and send it back. Then I'd play the second game I had and by the time I was halfway through it the next game on my list would be in my hand. It was a beautiful system to be quite honest.

If your goal is to play one game for, like, a whole day, then it's fine. But really they're in it to make money, and they're going to do just that regardless. If it works for you, then go for it. But like I said, it's much more cost-efficient to wait for games to drop in price and just buy them new. That, or you can try to borrow a copy from someone.

Look Joker, I understand you didn't enjoy the system - but some people might. I did, OK? And I actually paid for the service instead of getting a free trial. Then again I was playing most for the PS2 which means it took me a week to finish a game at worse. Then I'd send that game back and play my other game. By the time that was finished I'd have my next game. It was a great system for me. So we all have our opinions and you don't need to spam this thread with hate for this system. Alright?

I actually never even participated in using the services of Gamefly. I do agree that they have excellent memberships for the games that you rent from them, but I'm not a huge fan of renting games. I like to own all of my video games, so that if I want to experience playing a game I already beat three months ago, I can do that without having to trade a game back in and wait for them to send me the game that I want to play. I also enjoy owning my games because you never really know if something will happen to the game, like if it gets lost or damaged, or maybe even stolen.

I actually never even participated in using the services of Gamefly. I do agree that they have excellent memberships for the games that you rent from them, but I'm not a huge fan of renting games. I like to own all of my video games, so that if I want to experience playing a game I already beat three months ago, I can do that without having to trade a game back in and wait for them to send me the game that I want to play. I also enjoy owning my games because you never really know if something will happen to the game, like if it gets lost or damaged, or maybe even stolen.

They're actually pretty good about this and have a really robust customer service division for these particular issues. I, unfortunately, had to use this system before when a game I received was broken in the mail. Other than that everything when really well.

I've actually never used Gamefly. I know some people who like it and others that don't. The idea sounds great, but I wouldn't get much out of it.
It's cheaper for me to rent from Family Video or borrow from friends than to pay a subscription that I might not get my money out of.

I've actually never used Gamefly. I know some people who like it and others that don't. The idea sounds great, but I wouldn't get much out of it.
It's cheaper for me to rent from Family Video or borrow from friends than to pay a subscription that I might not get my money out of.

What's Family Video? Is it like a Blockbuster sort of thing? We don't really have those kinds of stores around here anymore. Most of our videos come from Netflixx or Redbox and recently Redbox has started renting out games for 1.50 -2.00 a day. That said I'd rather rent from Gamefly as you pay one fee a month and then play as you want to. That said I also borrow games from friends because you can never have enough games lying around.

No, I've never actually used Gamefly. It does seem like a really great service but I myself haven't rented a game in years and to be honest, I hardly ever buy games anymore as well. To me, I pretty much already know whether or not I'm going to really enjoy a game, so I tend do more buying than renting. I always make sure to get my money's worth and don't have to worry about wasting money on a bad game. I will probably try it out eventually though.

I had Gamefly for about six months. I honestly believe they have some sort of priority shipping depending on how long you've had the service. My first two months, the turn around was about 2 or 3 days. By the fourth month, it took them a week to get me another game. It wasn't like the fourth month was the middle of winter, either. It just got worse from there.

I ended up cancelling my subscription, waiting 3 weeks for them to send me a "please come back!" email, and the turn around time was excellent for the first month again. Then it started dropping terribly.

So yeah, not a bad deal, but not a good idea long term, as far as I could see. Redbox (if you available to you), is usually better for newer releases anyway.

If it was important for me? Totally not.
But i had a friend that only rent games aside from the copy of Halo 3 he owned, and that is because it came with the console.
Cool thing is that he lent me all the games he got from there, so i always had new games to play for free.

I just never saw the need. I'd rather play the demo on live, buy it and download it or purchase it at the store instead of waiting for the mail , just like I'd rather live stream Netflix instead of do the whole DVDs in the mail.

I never used Gamefly, and I don't think I ever will. I'd rather be on the good graces of a friend and borrow the game from them for free. If I had to pay to rent I'd rather use Redbox to get games rather than pay almost $30 every month for Gamefly. Also, with Gamefly don't you have to wait for the game to ship to you?

Back