Which video card to go for?

garret

I plan to upgrade my rig soon, and I was wondering whether I should go for a Nvidia GTX 460 card, or an ATI 5770. I am not too much into all the technical details, so all I care about is overall performance. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Right now I am stuck in the same boat and debating what to get between a few of them. At first I wanted to build an entirely new machine but I found a good deal on some pieces so I figure for the next year I will just swap out what I "need" then deal with what I "want" later.

The ATI card is a pile of crap as compared to the GTX 460. Sure, it costs less, but in the end, you get what you pay for. I 'd say close your eyes and choose the NVidia, it probably is the most selling card on the scene right now, and for good reasons.

I've always been a Nvidia fan too...I've never had a problem with the Nvidia cards that I've bought. Here's a thread I found on it that says you should go for the Nvidia card...Link The difference in price isn't too bad...I'd buy the GTX 460.

Definitely spring for the NVIDIA card. NVIDIA makes quality cards that output performance that will last for pretty much years. Some of the older cards like the 570 (which I have) still output tons of performance on ultra settings on games like Battlefield 3, one of the most graphical and processor intensive games there is for PCs.

Totally agree, every high end graphics card I have had has been Nvidia. I tried an ATI one, but had way too many problems. Just keep in mind if you are planning on upgrading, check to make sure that your motherboard will support it. You may also just try increasing the amount of RAM you have (sure a new card is always nice...)to get extra life out of the one you currently have.

I initially used to buy ATI graphics cards but after having a lot of trouble with drivers, I switched to Nvidia. I use a Nvidia GTS 250. It's not exactly a top end graphics card bu it's fine for playing slightly older games at a good resolution and medium settings. My wife uses it to play a lot of Sims 3 and Second Life. The only thing is, I know the computer doesn't have even the minimum spec for RAM and the motherboard is getting old so I'm going to be upgrading again soon.

Go for Nvidia GTX 460, trust me because I am using ATI and I an not happy with it. I play DOTA and the graphics is not that detailed comparing to my friends pc. One more reason is the price.

I initially used to buy ATI graphics cards but after having a lot of trouble with drivers, I switched to Nvidia.

Do you recall the 'rage' or 'all in wonder' cards? Did you ever own one of those?

AMD vs. Nvidia is like Ford vs. Dodge, but less difference.

AMD (when it was ATI) had driver nightmares, and people still bemoan the size of the driver suite/load times. How often does this actually effect you? Like 0.001 % of the time.

Nvidia also had driver nightmares, including a bit of a fight for an open sourced driver for Linux which caused them to lose a bit of the reputation that they had paid so much to build.

Honestly, if you can afford $200 (~$195) an AMD Radeon HD 7850 2GB is the popular choice. "You might not need the extra gigabyte of memory that spending $20 more buys you. But, in the event that you want to run a higher resolution than 1920x1080, increase detail quality, or apply some anti-aliasing, it could be what keeps your performance scaling as expected, rather than falling off a cliff."

For $50 less the Nvidia GTX 650 Ti (~$149) is getting the nod from gamers with a low budget.. It's almost as fast as the HD 7850 1GB edition above, only needs a 400watt PSU, and the price difference could afford you a bucket of chicken and some beer for the weekend.

You could skimp even more.. get an AMD HD 7770 for ~$115.. but you'll be tweaking current games, dialing back all the sexy settings, to keep the frame-rates smooth.

Since I'm a fan of Nvidia. I would suggest you to go for the GTX 460. One benefit of the Nvidia card is that there are quite a few software around that makes use of CUDA which is only available for Nvidia graphics cards and you may miss out on this feature. There is also PhysX for Nvidia which some games have and benefit from, but doesn't really affect gameplay so you won't miss out on too much unless you really like physics in games. :D

Since I'm a fan of Nvidia. I would suggest you to go for the GTX 460. One benefit of the Nvidia card is that there are quite a few software around that makes use of CUDA which is only available for Nvidia graphics cards and you may miss out on this feature. There is also PhysX for Nvidia which some games have and benefit from, but doesn't really affect gameplay so you won't miss out on too much unless you really like physics in games. :D

Yikes, I thought I was outdated..
http://www.hwcompare.com/13494/geforce-gtx-460-vs-geforce-gtx-650/

As you can see the 460 is a 2010 product, the 650 is it's 2012 replacement.. It eats a LOT less watts, meaning you aren't forced to add the cost of a new PSU to the price, and the 650 Ti is faster or the same performance as the 460 at almost every point.

You do make a good point about which company is lame and which company is actually cool..

NVidia's solutions (PhysX/CUDA) only work for NVidia, and are closely guarded to leverage the market/get their cards in your computer.

AMD's solutions (Havok/Stream) can work with any graphics chipset. They don't feel like they need to 'lock you in' with trickery.

Sure there's AMD specific hardware features, like Crossfire, and those APUs they are making (haven't looked at that/so oldschool), but you can't blame them for hardware specifics.

WIthout getting into much technical compaisons, I'd go for Nvidia Cards since they are affordable but high performers. Please check this slink for futher comparison..http://www.gamesht.com/2012/01/14/which-1-is-better-nvidia-or-ati/

The article (from over a year ago) states they are essentially the same thing, like picking between "Ford" or "Chevy", or "Subaru" vs. "Mitsubishi", and while both topics would generate a long list of people certain of one over the other, the truth is that there's hardly any difference.

In fact if you look at that thread's comments you'll see it's mostly supportive of ATI/AMD, likely because AMD at that moment had the fastest cards available by a slight margin and people were at that time slagging on NVidia to stop pilling multiple GPUs on their cards and come out with something new to compete, which they did in mid Feb.

Pepsi or Coke? .. This 'Battle of the Brands' is fascinating the more I dig into it and talk to people on both sides. If you've never read "Blink", it's a great read and excellent insight into the topic of brand marketing.

Personally, I like Coke/AMD, but will drink/use whatever one is on tap really. If they are both sitting there for the exact same price, okay, then you can pick one over the other based on brand. :)

I have got only intel core i3 3.3ghz 3rd gen. I can play all the games. Except ac4 which got stuck at 15%. Can you guys reply on my post?

I have got only intel core i3 3.3ghz 3rd gen. I can play all the games. Except ac4 which got stuck at 15%. Can you guys reply on my post?
Wrong thread! If you need technical help try contacting support.

Anyway, I recommend the Nvidia card, they are always generally better than ati in my opinion

NVidia is the name I hear over and over again. I have been looking to make a switch and I guess NVidea is the one that I will choose. It may cost more but to me its worth it for the quality.

GTX 460 is a low end card. At most, you'll be able to play games like Far Cry 3 on medium settings, but for the likes of Watch Dogs, you alt least have to have a 770.

Nvidia seems to be the hands down winner of this little card game! I'm certainly have heard quite a few compelling reasons why it is the best one for the job. Thanks to all who made buying a card so much easier.

Back