Xbox One Why does Microsoft insist to include the Kinect in the Xbox One?

stiflex

From
Vilnius
Why does Microsoft insist to include the Kinect in the Xbox One?
One of the main reasons why I'm thinking against purchasing an Xbox One is that it requires the use of the Kinect, I will buy one though - don't worry! Sadly, I did not enjoy most of the games on the Kinect in the Xbox 360 and I did not enjoy going through the menus with it either. Now, Microsoft requiring gamers to use the device for the rest of the Xbox One's life? What gives?

Also, I've heard that you have to pay an extra $100 to receive it! Some countries will have singles, as in they both have separate boxes, and you can buy them individually. But It's not available in Lithuania. What do you guys think?

Eh..no. Recently they announced that it's not necessary to plug in the kinect or use the console with it. You can use your console normally without kinect.

However, they have also stated that they will always sell xbox with kinect and I believe the reason for this is that they want a uniform market for their console and expect all xbox owners to have a kinect so that the developers can invest more in kinect games and make more quality games.

I think Microsoft wants every Xbox One owner to have their very own dust collector or something? Nah, but more seriously, they want every X1 user to have one to entice developers to actually make friggin' games for the stupid thing, because Kinect really has nothing worth playing right now.

Supposedly the reason why every Xbone has a Kinect is because the system was built around the Kinect. Of course, if no one has to use the Kinect then that was a complete lie - or the system is going to glitch something off on initial release. Honestly I don't think this was the best idea. I mean they aren't Nintendo so why insist on the Kinect? Poor concept planning FTF.

I personally don't like the inflated price because of inclusion of Kinect in Xbox. I don't know what there reason is behind the inclusion, but let's hope that whatever the reason is behind it, it's justifiable and the purchase will be well worth it. Let's wait and see.

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, the Xbox One still forces you to buy a Kinect because its packaged with the console, but they just don't require it being hooked up to use the console, is that correct?

Well, it fragments the audience to not require they buy it. This way there's one package, and if they want a something to require Kinect they can say, you have to hook up your Kinect for this, and they know the user has one. I think they include it because they want that to be the norm for the new system's user interface too. They're not requiring it now because of peoples' complaining on the issue, I assume. And I certainly agree that it should be optional. But in all likeliness, once most people have it they probably will just hook it up and leave it on, maybe a few privacy concerned folks will unhook it or never hook it up at all, but that probably won't be the standard setup. Plus, as other people said in this thread, they can change more! I'm sure Microsoft can't resist that.

Supposedly the reason why every Xbone has a Kinect is because the system was built around the Kinect. Of course, if no one has to use the Kinect then that was a complete lie - or the system is going to glitch something off on initial release. Honestly I don't think this was the best idea. I mean they aren't Nintendo so why insist on the Kinect? Poor concept planning FTF.

The system was built around it to offer it a seamless exp. if you wish And the developers will not be divided knowing that every system has a KiNECT. Look at the PS Eye...yeah. Just because they changed the way you need to have it plugged in doesnt mean they were wrong. Will you not get a great exp to the FULLEST if your KiNECT is plugged in? Snaping, skype, voice control and certain elements for games, you wont be able to exp. becasue you wouldnt have it plugged in. BUT now you can try it out or leave it on. Up to you. The thing is people need to understand that they MORE than likely MSFT approaced alot of developers and they liked the idea. So they put it in the box. I am sure there are some developers that dont like it now, but then one day they may go "HOLY CRAP! WE HAVE THIS AMAZING IDEA etc.." And they wont be scared to try it becasue they now know...every X1 will have a KiNECT.

I think Albert Penello has said this best. He talks about it in terms of the voice recognition and why they are spending extra time localizing the OS integration. But I believe this goes along with the entire Kinect experience:

"I think people are using the way [voice] works on Xbox 360, which was an accessory we built five years after release, as how it's going to work here. But it's so much more elegant and so much more integrated, and in many ways it's a lot faster and more convenient. Whereas on Xbox 360 it's a lesser version of doing the thing you're used to doing on your controller.

This is why I said in another thread it almost would have been better for Microsoft to have never released the first Kinect, that way this new one was a new experience. People are looking at the new Kinect as though it's going to work the same as the current one, and it's simply not. It's not even made by the same development company. It doesn't have the same tech in it. Everything about it is better. And now with every Xbox One having it, developers can treat it like a part of the system, just like another input.

Taking the Kinect out of the Xbox One is the one thing that would actually make me not get one. I have an Xbox 360 already. I don't need another Xbox 360 with better graphics.

The system was built around it to offer it a seamless exp. if you wish And the developers will not be divided knowing that every system has a KiNECT. Look at the PS Eye...yeah. Just because they changed the way you need to have it plugged in doesnt mean they were wrong. Will you not get a great exp to the FULLEST if your KiNECT is plugged in? Snaping, skype, voice control and certain elements for games, you wont be able to exp. becasue you wouldnt have it plugged in. BUT now you can try it out or leave it on. Up to you. The thing is people need to understand that they MORE than likely MSFT approaced alot of developers and they liked the idea. So they put it in the box. I am sure there are some developers that dont like it now, but then one day they may go "HOLY CRAP! WE HAVE THIS AMAZING IDEA etc.." And they wont be scared to try it becasue they now know...every X1 will have a KiNECT.

Dude - we are all individuals here. Some people are totally gung-ho because hey it may be awesome or something. Personally I buy a gaming console to game with. I don't like skyping and only do it for meetings on my laptop with clients. Voice control tends to suck and anything I can say I can just do with the buttons on the controller. The happy assumption is that dev teams will think this is awesome and build for it, but I seriously doubt that. So it's an extra cost they may or may not be justified in the long-run. I mean has any of the slated releases yet mention the blasted Kinect? No.

Dude - we are all individuals here. Some people are totally gung-ho because hey it may be awesome or something. Personally I buy a gaming console to game with. I don't like skyping and only do it for meetings on my laptop with clients. Voice control tends to suck and anything I can say I can just do with the buttons on the controller. The happy assumption is that dev teams will think this is awesome and build for it, but I seriously doubt that. So it's an extra cost they may or may not be justified in the long-run. I mean has any of the slated releases yet mention the blasted Kinect? No.

Not sure what was ment by that but ok. People and families are gung-ho like me, Stinger and others because well....i guess we have all had good exp. with it. Im sorry that you havent and that you dont like the Skype feature, or the snap in feature, or the new voice controls it has since you have personally used the KiNECT 2.0. Im sure you have spoke with 343i, Capcom, EA, DICE, Land Ho!, Grounding Inc., AMA Ltd, Turn 10, Frontier Development, and Zoe Mode (just a few of the launch titles) and all the other developers that havent said anything yet and found that they really are not taking the KiNECT into consideration. Even if games dont use it in any way....the X1 is 100% built around it so when you do use it, everything will work good. As for the last thing yes game compnays have. In that list EA, DICE, and Capcom just to name a few have all talked about how they will or have implemented KiNECT into their game.

Not sure what was ment by that but ok. People and families are gung-ho like me, Stinger and others because well....i guess we have all had good exp. with it. Im sorry that you havent and that you dont like the Skype feature, or the snap in feature, or the new voice controls it has since you have personally used the KiNECT 2.0. Im sure you have spoke with 343i, Capcom, EA, DICE, Land Ho!, Grounding Inc., AMA Ltd, Turn 10, Frontier Development, and Zoe Mode (just a few of the launch titles) and all the other developers that havent said anything yet and found that they really are not taking the KiNECT into consideration. Even if games dont use it in any way....the X1 is 100% built around it so when you do use it, everything will work good. As for the last thing yes game compnays have. In that list EA, DICE, and Capcom just to name a few have all talked about how they will or have implemented KiNECT into their game.

...Dude - you like the Kinect and that's great for you. I don't, I invested in it and received a poor return on it. That's why I said we are all individuals, individuals with separate experiences. Many folks have had poor experiences with this tech, which is why they just as soon not deal with it. Also throwing the PR kit from MS at me isn't going to change my mind although it will make me more likely to ignore anything you have to say in the future. I mean you are seriously entering fanboy levels of obnoxious here. I haven't personally used the Kinect 2.0, but neither have you homie and until we both have you can take you're condescension and... ****Edited Out**********

Every one is entitled to their opinion. Do not attack people on a personal level. Calm it down and stay on topic ~Pbescabar7

I think Microsoft wants every Xbox One owner to have their very own dust collector or something? Nah, but more seriously, they want every X1 user to have one to entice developers to actually make friggin' games for the stupid thing, because Kinect really has nothing worth playing right now.

Yes, I agree! They literally have nothing interesting to play. There are no fun games you can pickup from the store. That's the kinects problem - this is why i made the thread. It's because the kinect is complete garbage - and if you charge extra for it. Well, then you should really reconsider buying it.

Yes, I agree! They literally have nothing interesting to play. There are no fun games you can pickup from the store. That's the kinects problem - this is why i made the thread. It's because the kinect is complete garbage - and if you charge extra for it. Well, then you should really reconsider buying it.

I may have to agree with Stinge ron this one also, maybe they shouldnt of made the KiNECT 1.0 and just waited for this one. It might of not got as much back lash.

Yeah I can't agree with this in any way, shape, or form.

I cant say this is true either. If the KiNECT didnt work at all then I would agree. But for me it does, AND I know others where it works for them also. Child of Eden works FLAWLESS when I use it. The voice controls for my dashboard and Apps work amazing. Maybe some people dont take the time to legit set it up int he settings and run it. The audio testing, voice testing, room size. It even tells you to set it up more than once in different lighting so it can see you to the fullest in different lighting. I think I set it up 3 times for Morning, Mid-day, and night time.

Eh..no. Recently they announced that it's not necessary to plug in the kinect or use the console with it. You can use your console normally without kinect.

However, they have also stated that they will always sell xbox with kinect and I believe the reason for this is that they want a uniform market for their console and expect all xbox owners to have a kinect so that the developers can invest more in kinect games and make more quality games.

But i am pretty confident that it will always be a 7:1 game ratio that will use the kinect. Only exclusives to the console will use it right, but they won't try to push on us anymore. So they will force themselves to develop on a thing that the general consumer already said that it didn't want, to a thing that most of people don't like.
What kind of backwards thinking is that?

Developers seem to have a much better attitude toward the new Kinect.

The Sweat, Swagger and Sweet Science of Fighter Within - UbiBlog | Ubisoft®
How long have you been working on Fighter Within?

We’ve been working for two years on the game, and we were amazed at how Kinect 2 improved in comparison to Kinect 1. It really enabled us to deliver a great experience to players and accurately track the players in front of the Kinect. This is a perfect game for anyone who likes fighting games, a bit of workout, and having fun with his or her friends.

So if they see that in the Kinect-only game they made, I'm betting they will have no problem putting other Kinect functionality into other games in different ways.

Developers seem to have a much better attitude toward the new Kinect.

The Sweat, Swagger and Sweet Science of Fighter Within - UbiBlog | Ubisoft®

So if they see that in the Kinect-only game they made, I'm betting they will have no problem putting other Kinect functionality into other games in different ways.

SEE! This is what I have been saying. People think MSFT hasent really done their research on this thing. ALOT of developers are WANTING to use this thing and are implementing it into their games. Its catching on, and its a good thing becasue we will get new inovating ways to use the KiNECT..not just motion.

I am not surprised Ubisoft of all people says Kinect 2 is great. Ubisoft just seems to like all hardware lately, which is great for everyone because they still make good games. At the very least, Ubisoft will continue to release Just Dance games on X1!

Back