Xbox One Why will the Xbox One cost more in Europe?

John Henry

From what I've been reading, the Xbox One is going to cost $500 in the US, but in Europe, it is going to cost 500 Euros. At today's exchange rate, that is $665.80. Is there a particular reason for that?

I don't know why as I don't live in Europe. I live in India where it' is realy expensive to buy. No, the price is the same - $500 USD, but when you convert it into the INR, it becomes INR 32,000. That's equivalent to one month salary.

Don't know that there's more reason then R&D said its a good idea.

I don't know why as I don't live in Europe. I live in India where it' is realy expensive to buy. No, the price is the same - $500 USD, but when you convert it into the INR, it becomes INR 32,000. That's equivalent to one month salary.

Thanks to Obama, ObamaCare, and a few other factors, most of the target audience (well core gamers at least) for the X1, have a part time job at minimum wage, making $500 equivalent to a months wages here in USA as well.

Thanks to Obama, ObamaCare, and a few other factors, most of the target audience (well core gamers at least) for the X1, have a part time job at minimum wage, making $500 equivalent to a months wages here in USA as well.

The core audiencedemographic for a gaming console is male gamers 16-35. I don't many people my age working for minimum wage.

Yeah, don't let the little thing called truth about how he's reduced the deficit get in the way of bringing a subject that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic, in.

To be honest both Sony and Microsoft are doing the same thing. I believe the exchange rate "does not apply". It's $499 here in the US, and $499 in Europe. The value of a Euro is more than the US Dollar. So $499.99 Euros is exactly $665.69 US Dollar. Including, Import fees, the money it takes to sell a product to a foreign country, and taxes that are imposed by the foreign country.

Ok, let's not delude this into a political debate guys.

It's more expensive because the exchange rates suck, that's the bottom line. That's why they are packing in a game with the console over there, to try and offset some of that extra cost.

O boy, you hit it right in the button. But Obama is the last thing I want to talk about in a gaming forum. Those 2 topics together are against the LAW in my book.

At the very least, they are including FIFA 14 in the Europe purchases to sweeten the pot.

Isn't everything technically more expensive in Europe anyways? Most EU nations have a higher minimum wage if I recall correctly.

O boy, you hit it right in the button. But #$#! is the last thing I want to talk about in a gaming forum. Those 2 topics together are against the LAW in my book.

Yeah, don't let the little thing called truth about how he's reduced the deficit get in the way of bringing a subject that has absolutely nothing to do with the topic, in.

The topic was about the cost of the X1. Someone was talking about the X1 costing a months salary. I pointed out that for a large segment of the target population, $500 is a months salary in the US. At least thats what NPR says pretty much every day. Lots of people have part time jobs, and the pay is not all that good.

Say you work 20 hours a week at $10 bucks an hour. Thats about $800 before taxes. After taxes you would keep about $500 of that...

Was it cheeky naming names? Probably. But I didn't bring up the deficit, and it does have something to do with why peoples economic perceptions are what they are. The relationship between the two things, and people getting multiple part time jobs, instead of one full time job, with benefits and overtime is a real thing.

I don't think it is over stating my case to think that "core gamers" tend to be underachievers, and the people who fall into this "failure to launch" demographic.

But a large part of that really negative "failure to launch"mentality comes not from flawed character, but that there is not a whole heck of a lot of opportunity in the US at the moment.

Well I was trying to be funny, but my NY sense of humor is very difficult to display by typing it down. lol But yet again, I agree with you.

The US pays less for manufacturing though overseas. However, we have more demand in the state on mind. Lazy America prevails and gets more for less.

Sony and Microsoft are indeed doing the same thing, but at least Sony didn't have the audacity to just port over the same exact number. Microsoft is out of their minds to think that charging 499 pounds is the same thing as charging 499 US dollars. It's just Microsoft being bad at exchange rates, I guess.

Ok, let's not delude this into a political debate guys.

It's more expensive because the exchange rates suck, that's the bottom line. That's why they are packing in a game with the console over there, to try and offset some of that extra cost.

Exchange rates don't suck, because then we would get it much cheaper too. Why do the prices are all the same, even if the Euro is pretty much valuable than the american dollar? It's much better to just import the damn thing!

I'm not sure if the argument can be made that the price is lowere in the US because demand is higher in the US. That doesn't make much sense to me. Aren't we closer to the manufacturing centers? That would make more sense as it would be cheaper to ship the units to the US. Europe's economies are just as bad as the US's. So you can't make the argument that it is cheaper in the US because our citizens have less discretionary income.

From what I've been reading, the Xbox One is going to cost $500 in the US, but in Europe, it is going to cost 500 Euros. At today's exchange rate, that is $665.80. Is there a particular reason for that?

All taxes are included in the listed price in Europe. The sales tax (or VAT) in European countries are quite higher than in the United States. The current sales tax (or VAT) in Sweden is 25%. If they didn't include sales tax (or VAT) in the price tag the Xbox One would cost $532 in Europe. So the actual cost (without sales tax) for the Xbox One is only around $33 higher in Europe

Number one reason for things being more expensive in Europe= All taxes (including outrageous sales tax) are already included in the price tag.

All taxes are included in the listed price in Europe. The sales tax (or VAT) in European countries are quite higher than in the United States. The current sales tax (or VAT) in Sweden is 25%. If they didn't include sales tax (or VAT) in the price tag the Xbox One would cost $532 in Europe. So the actual cost (without sales tax) for the Xbox One is only around $33 higher in Europe

Number one reason for things being more expensive in Europe= All taxes (including outrageous sales tax) are already included in the price tag.

uh

except they still have to pay taxes

you can't just say "oh the taxes are in the price tag!" because that's not how taxes work, friend.

uh

except they still have to pay taxes

you can't just say "oh the taxes are in the price tag!" because that's not how taxes work, friend.

I assume you don't live in Europe, because that's exactly how taxes work there.

The topic was about the cost of the X1. Someone was talking about the X1 costing a months salary. I pointed out that for a large segment of the target population, $500 is a months salary in the US. At least thats what NPR says pretty much every day. Lots of people have part time jobs, and the pay is not all that good.

Say you work 20 hours a week at $10 bucks an hour. Thats about $800 before taxes. After taxes you would keep about $500 of that...

Was it cheeky naming names? Probably. But I didn't bring up the deficit, and it does have something to do with why peoples economic perceptions are what they are. The relationship between the two things, and people getting multiple part time jobs, instead of one full time job, with benefits and overtime is a real thing.

I don't think it is over stating my case to think that "core gamers" tend to be underachievers, and the people who fall into this "failure to launch" demographic.

But a large part of that really negative "failure to launch"mentality comes not from flawed character, but that there is not a whole heck of a lot of opportunity in the US at the moment.

...I don't even. I mean first off - where are you living where minimum wage is 10 bucks an hour? Because around here minimum wage is 7.50 (and that's recently). Next up how exactly are you losing 300 dollars in taxes? I mean - like if I looked at a recent paycheck then I'm paying SS, State, and Fed plus medical insurance (including dental) - that comes out to losing maybe 150-200 out of my general check and that's with the fantastically high taxes in my state. As per your example I'd still have 680 dollars with some odd change to deal with. That said a closer example of the cost of a Xbone is that it costs only a little less than a month's rent once taxes are added in.

Further if you really want to look at economic perceptions and why folks need multiple jobs then you need look no further than the GOP - Right to Work states, destruction of the Unions, giving Corporations all the rights while taking them away from Employees, etc. So rather than attacking Obama because it's trendy and Rush Limbaugh told you to maybe read over some of the way the Right and Far Right are cheerfully screwing you over.

Also speak for yourself - "core gamers" are often long-term gamers in many cases i.e. they've been doing this since they were very young. Which mean they aren't playing games because they suddenly find themselves with nothing to do - they do it because it's a continuing thread in their lives and they enjoy it. I mean are musicians underachievers or people interested in computers? I mean way to be insulting.

Back