Xbox One Will COD Ever Get Back To It's Roots?

SashaS

Call of Duty has changed a lot since its early times. It has become more DLC, online and competition focused. No more are we shooting semi automatic rifles at terrorists amidst the second world war, or watching a nuclear bomb fall onto a city as we fly away in a helicopter. Its all about exo-suits, wall running and sending your robot allies to kill all who defy you. I'm not complaining and I actually enjoy Black Ops III and Advanced Warfare, but their focus on DLC, online play, futuristic aspects and sheer content may have made some people angry. I often see hardcore COD fans complaining about what the leading FPS game has become.

So my question is, what future do you see for Call of Duty? Do you think they will ever go back to their roots, or will it continue being Advanced Warfare 2 and some sort of Space Warfare sort of stuff that I see eventually coming. Will there ever be another WWII COD game? Do you want to see another one?

If I'm being honest I'm not 100% sure that COD as much of any kind of future to be honest, but while people keep buying them, they'll keep on being made.

Every game comes to the end of its life though, and there's no doubt that COD as been a great series, but sadly now I think it might be time to call it a day.

I think the future of CoD is just less bloat and more pay-for-mode type options. It is the most logical step forward, because a game mode can make a ton of money and totally change their opinion about what people want. The current games/expansions/dlc all gets so fettered and clogged that if you focused more on modes, the rest would have the stage where everything else makes sense. Just think zombies...that changed people's opinion of a fun shooter

I guess you two have a point. It can be compared to the selling of luxury watches, the rich will want them even when the only thing they do is tell time, heck, some of them are so damn ugly but they still buy them because they're made of the rarest gems. Whereas you can buy a smartwatch that is infinitely more functional and visually pleasing.

Its because they are accustomed to buying the latest and greatest of that product, so they will carry on doing so like mindless drones. Look, I still enjoy playing the game because even with its focus on money - you have to admit... it is fun. That's where the comparison draws the line. A luxury watch can only do so much, but with some innovation, it can become better... and so the smartwatch is born. Or in this case, games like CS and Arma or whatever your favorite FPS is.

The thing is, it is fun, yeah. And the focus of money is a great way to make a game popular and increase its ability to grow. The problem is when a company starts to get too focused on what's -working- without necessarily considering what would be dramatically better for everyone involved. That type of mentality permeates the world and is just straight up fear and laziness.

I think that hits the bail on the head, and with each new COD game that comes out, there a not a great deal different. Maybe I think they've just got a little complacent and while it's obviously a good idea to keep the things that people enjoy in a game, they also have to try and incorporate new elements into it aswell though.

I think that's where COD is falling down, and its just getting a bit stale for people to justify keep buying the new titles.

I think the primary issue is that rather than a monthly subscription, they have an annual or biannual release that makes them money. This then leads to DLC, but they could have skipped the middleman and incorporated subscriptions into the paid model to reduce the price of the game itself, picking it more attractive and allowing them to justify the sales of DLC.

DLC while makes the company a lot of money, won't make it as much as releasing a new game every year as many people even now, even though I think are falling out of love with the game, will still keep buying it because they've bought the previous releases.

It's more of a sentimental purchase than anything else.

I agree, I also disagree. There are so many people that play the game right now that creating a new game is unnecessary, and that's why the DLC works in the first place. The problem is that the DLC gets repetitive, and they can easily make more by focusing on modes instead of the DLC that they sling out now.

The amount if people still playing COD though is starting to fall away, so maybe not so much now but definitely soon, they're going to have to come up with a plan.

They either take COD in another direction, just carry on as it is now but it will eventually start to lose money or kill the series altogether. I can see them just carrying on as normal to be honest, because I think the other two options I gave are certainly out of the question.

I don't think COD is necessarily falling off as much as most games are competing too hard with peoples' time. It's hard to keep people interested that long, but I will say it every single day to proe my point: VR will dramatically change the landscape for who the winners are of the next 2 years.

I agree with most when they say it's just a sign of the times. They used to be great strategy and story type games. Now they're just literally living in the moment, hoping to drum up sales for Christmas, knowing no one will be playing them come Summer. They'll get it right when sales drop.

VR is certainly going to be the future of gaming, but will COD be able to keep people playing even with VR?

There's no doubt that genre of game is made for VR, a first person shooter is probably going to be the mainstay of the new technology for at least the first few releases, but does COD still have enough life in it to keep going until VR gets established?

Oh god, the sales when VR is released...every 14-30 year old that has ever played COD is going to find their way to get a headset, mark my words. VR is going to be a huge boom for everything, it's so weird to fathom that it's right around the corner and people still don't get it yet lol

I'm not sure if it's that people don't get it, I just think that in the past these technological breakthroughs have often fallen a but flat, and even though the Kinect and Move systems are popular with some, there's still a feeling they're a bit of a let down.

I just think people are wary of expecting too much from VR and it being another disappointment.

It's the baby stages so I could see that yeah. Once people start to understand that we're building machines and have the best technology imaginable, the VR set becomes full-blown reality suspension and potentially a piloting tool down the road. It's sensory replacement in it's most infantile stage.

Only time will tell if these systems will be able to deliver what they're promising to. In my opinion there's no reason to think they won't be impressive but I just hope that the company's are working in partnership with the software houses, as there's no point in having VR if the games available aren't making use of the new technology.

Yeah, the biggest problem is everyone is being so secretive right now. People all want the next big thing, so the games in development are as secretive as they can be for the next little while here.

It's not likely to ever go back to the place it's started, nowadays there are simply too many details and innovations being brought, I'm thinking that even the developers can't set their mind to just one simple concept, as it would seem like they step forward. It's pretty hard to focus on a simple concept, like back in the days, and still be taken seriously with all the expectations out there.

Unfortunately I think you're right, but sometimes the simpler ideas are the better ones. Take away all the bells and whistles that CoD as developed over the years, and release it now with VR capabilities, an upgraded graphics engine and I'm sure that would sell.

Back