Xbox One Would you like game mods possible on the XBox?

booker

For example, I'm thinking of how much better Bethesda's games became after certain mods were developed by the community - games like Fallout or Skyrim. Improved visuals and gameplay mechanics, better character models or animation.

So, what say you, would XBox game mods be a great thing for us console gamers?

I really think mods for the console community would be crazy good to be honest!
Would help make a lot of games miles better and make them last longer.
Imagine Minecraft with mods, crazy good.

Anything that publishers put on the XBL or PSN has to go through extensive vetting and QA and testing. It's unfeasible to expect this to happen for the huge number of mods, especially since it costs money just to get the companies to review them.

Anything that publishers put on the XBL or PSN has to go through extensive vetting and QA and testing. It's unfeasible to expect this to happen for the huge number of mods, especially since it costs money just to get the companies to review them.

Guess you're right. I remember how the developer a Fez stopped (or complained about) updating the game on the XBox because the whole process was a time consuming mess.
Pity, mods add great longevity to games and usually generate more sales for devs in the long run.

Yeah, it would truly be great, but as sidd pointed out... there's a lot of limitations to it. This is why there's never really been a game on consoles with the amount of mods you see on PC, even from companies like Valve. The closest thing is really games like Little Big Planet which allow for user created content, but it just ain't the same...

Open up games to mods will eventually lead to the console getting hacked. This is because, in order for mods to work Microsoft will have to open up their digital signature and we all know that could be bad.

Then perhaps we should do away with that method of publishing, and adapt the model that the mod community on the PC market has taken instead?

Back