Xbox One Xbox One only has 5 minutes of recording

KN1GHTMARE

Former Moderator
From
NJ
Website
socialclub.rockstargames.com
I hope you didn't have your hopes set on making you own "Let's Play" videos.​

Although this previously seemed nailed down, comments by Microsoft Corporate Vice President Phil Harrison yesterday during his Eurogamer Expo talk re-opened speculation about how long Xbox One’s DVR capabilities would allow you to record game footage. While showcasing Xbox One’s Upload Studio, Harrison said users could record ”as much or as little as they wanted.” Microsoft now says that these comments were taken out of context, and that the previously known figure of 5 minutes recording time is still correct. “We are committed to giving gamers the ability to produce high quality videos easily and quickly,” a Microsoft representative told Game Informer. “We can confirm the recording buffer in Game DVR is 5 minutes, which we feel is optimized to take advantage of high-quality production features and advanced social mechanics in Xbox One.”

Xbox-One-Kinect-.jpg

Perhaps Harrison was referring to how many 5 minute clips a player can produce, rather than the length of an individual clip. Otherwise it’s hard to see how the comment could have been taken out of context.

The 5 minute limit puts the console at a disadvantage against PS4′s recording capabilities, which will buffer 15 minutes of recording.

I'm sure this limitation is only a matter of time and Microsoft will up the ante when possible. In the mean time looks like you'll have a lot of editing to do with your longer videos.

Source: VG 24/7

Well, there goes all my hopes for making let's play videos. I guess, I will keep using PC as my primary device for YouTube gameplay videos.

You can still make let's play videos. As far as I know (and I do this weekly), every video you stream to Twitch is saved/recorded on your Twitch channel, which you can then download or edit,etc afterward. So the 5 minutes of limitation is only the Upload Studio limitation.

You can still make let's play videos. As far as I know (and I do this weekly), every video you stream to Twitch is saved/recorded on your Twitch channel, which you can then download or edit,etc afterward. So the 5 minutes of limitation is only the Upload Studio limitation.

That's good to know. I've never heard of this before, but I'm going to check it out. It would be pretty cool to upload gameplay and edit it as I wish. Thanks for the share on how to get past the 5 minute cap.

It's just as well - this will help all through Youtube folks who post for free and need to keep below a 10 minute limit.

Seems like Microsoft wants users to only upload short clips like kills or wtf moments. They'll probably increase the recording time later on and do a "We listened to you guys again!" PR spin on it.

But wouldn't that end up looking awful in the end? First the video quality for twich is not the best thing out there, but then you would need to download it from their servers and encode it again for youtube, losing even more quality. This was never about creating a Let's Play (how would you record your voice?), but to "hey, check this thing that happened to me" thing.

This doesn't seem like the most interesting implementation of screen capturing. 5 minutes isn't a lot. Having to manually edit your own 5 minute clips to make a longer video would take more time than is worth. Really it's only good for grabbing amazing moments.

But wouldn't that end up looking awful in the end? First the video quality for twich is not the best thing out there, but then you would need to download it from their servers and encode it again for youtube, losing even more quality. This was never about creating a Let's Play (how would you record your voice?), but to "hey, check this thing that happened to me" thing.

Actually you can record voice via the XB1: http://www.polygon.com/2013/9/30/4782720/xbox-one-dvr-features-will-let-you-record-video-commentary-for-game

Back