Xbox One Xbox One Used Games Not Charging Fee Now

Damnlag

Website
www.youtubegaming.com
Its been rumored that Microsoft will be charging a fee for used games on top of GameStop prices, but that has recently been ruled as false news according to indirect unofficial Microsoft sources.

I just read a new article where apparently Microsoft released a statement saying that used games will not have a fee now. The disc will notify the Xbox One console when it goes into a different console and it will only work with one console at a time. If you have it downloaded, you can play that game as long as you want without the disc unless you put it into another console. Which then will take away the ability to play it on the previous console.

So Gamefly may not be done after all.

As far as used games go, Polygon said, "The Xbox One will automatically authenticate a game using an encryption code built into a game's disc, when it is installed on the machine. That authentication on the console's hard drive tied to the game is then verified regularly through an internet connection. When a person sells the game or it is installed and played on another system, the game is deauthenticated on the original machine until the disc is brought back and used to re-authenticate the installation."

Read the full article Gameinformer

While this is not official, its still another rumor and we won't know for sure until Microsoft announces more about the console. We should hear more at E3 in 17 days.

I'm pretty sure they won't do this, but rather they'll quietly slip into it when more and more games end up sold online and can be stored in the cloud, etc. Making an abrupt change will create a huge backlash, but when you're unlocking games linked to your Live account more and more (it already happened with the Live Arcade on 360) you'll end up lacking the ability to resell them and you won't even noticed it's happened. They really just need either download speeds or storage sizes to increase enough to make it viable, I suppose. That's my prediction.

I'm pretty sure they won't do this, but rather they'll quietly slip into it when more and more games end up sold online and can be stored in the cloud, etc. Making an abrupt change will create a huge backlash, but when you're unlocking games linked to your Live account more and more (it already happened with the Live Arcade on 360) you'll end up lacking the ability to resell them and you won't even noticed it's happened. They really just need either download speeds or storage sizes to increase enough to make it viable, I suppose. That's my prediction.

Games can be stored in the cloud, but if it is played on another console you won't be able to play it on that first console anymore.

Interesting. This was one of the biggest issues I had surrounding both next generation consoles. I always thought it was pretty outrageous that if you went out and bought a $60 game, or whatever the new price is, that you wouldn't have the right to do with it what you pleased. If I want to buy it and then sell it 2 years later, I should have the ability to do so without the buyer worrying about being charged a fee.

If this is true this is tremendous news for gamers and individuals who only buy their games used.

I really hope this is at least a little bit true, it's a step in the right direction. Still weird and annoying when it could be the same as it is now. Ugh I can't wait for E3 so we can get our facts straight.

Even then, needing to check the disk on the internet, who decided that this was a good idea and that people would be okay with it? I really hope they do a 360º (pun intended) with this console and remodel it from the ground up using what they know what to do now!

Wow, it sounds to me like the same ol-same ol, just worded a little different.

Going online to activate the games and having to install them is still pretty friggin' lame, though at least there's no fee on used games...

Going online to activate the games and having to install them is still pretty friggin' lame, though at least there's no fee on used games...

I could see it being used to cancel the game account on another Xbox that previously downloaded it to play without a disc. However, they are now saying that it will be just like the Xbox 360 where it requires the disc, but it just reads the disc to confirm its the game and then it stops it from spinning and plays the download version. I don't see the reason for needing to be online to activate a game if the Xbox can't play it without the disc.

I have to wonder,what about people like Arnold????? No phone-no internet... There is an ever increasing number of people that are getting sick and tired of never having a moment of real privacy and even sicker of the texting thing.

I have to agree with some users. I do not see Microsoft charging a fee to play used games at all. This would make most users right away switch to Sony alone lol.

I never believe any rumours such as the fee for used games until Microsoft fully tells us. The best way to be is not believe any rumours without confirmation themselves. God only knows when PS4 is shown there will be exactly the same issue. I do hope that we don't have to pay for used games It just seems ridiculous, also it will just have a big effect on second hand shops like Cex.

Any company, if they feel like it, can charge for used games.

The EA passes are a great example of them getting some money for used games. All a company needs to do is lock a portion of the game with a game code that is provided in all sold discs. If the person you bought it from already used it then you have to pay $10 - $20 to get your game to work.

If Xbox allows used game fees then it will make it acceptable. All it changes is who we blame.

I just read that Sony specifically has stated the PS4 will not try to charge any sort of fees for used games. I'm sure Microsoft will be doing the same for the Xbox One otherwise people will massively flock to the PS4, I would think. So I think this is good news in general for gamers of either system.

^This. They won't hit you with it at first. But they'll sneak it in all snaky like when no ones looking. And it'll be like, who...how'd "that" get there?

So wait it's only to authenticate your personal install until someone else fires up that same copy to show ownership? Holy crap that's actually a great idea! I love storing my games on the hard drive but it sucks having to put the disc in anyway. This will save a lot of time for me game-swapping since I'm always leaving games around the house (I cart my consoles upstairs to the bedroom from time to time).

This also means you could potentially rent a game, send it back but leave it installed on your console, and you could play it until someone else put it in their console, right? Theoretically? :3

Hmm... okay. I suppose this is an improvement. Still, it just feels wrong to be unable to lend your buddy your games without fear of repercussion. I guess if it can be deactivated and reactivated infinite times then it's okay - as long as you don't have to re-download the entire game everytime you deactivate it.

Hmm... okay. I suppose this is an improvement. Still, it just feels wrong to be unable to lend your buddy your games without fear of repercussion. I guess if it can be deactivated and reactivated infinite times then it's okay - as long as you don't have to re-download the entire game everytime you deactivate it.

Yep. Sounds like something the Russians or Chinese would do. One of those countries where they control the citizenry, and what they do beyond a fault. But I guess in America when you have enough money and clout, you can violate peoples rights.

I'm really happy with this news. I'm still playing my 360 today practically because I can trade in and and buy other used games, taking that from me will seriously make me reconsider buying the Xbox One. I really don't think Microsoft value the used games industry as much as they should, as it's a huge lifeline for the console 2-3 years after release.

Well, that's good news if it is true. I never buy a game new, solely because of the price. I'll give a little more consideration to the Xbox One now, knowing this. Still NOT fan of the lack of backwards compatibility, but I understand why they can't have it.

Back