Xbox 360 360 the relic

joshposh

The 360 is now a relic. The Scorpio will be out next year and that's 2 generations further away from the 360. I just saw a advertisement offering 360s for $70 usd. I'm thinking of picking up one just so my nephew can trash it, as kids normally do.

How about you guys that held out for so long. Is the $70 usd now enticing enough for you to get one, or perhaps a second one for the living room?

I'd rather call the Xbox 360 a classic, rather than a relic but I do understand what your saying. I still have my Xbox 360 but if I didn't, even though like you say hen the Scorpio comes out it will be 2 generations old, I do still think that there are enough games around to justify still picking one up.

The Scorpio don't forget is still a way off a release date and maybe when that comes out it might not be worth it, but if we're talking about now, for a price as low as $70, I don't think you can go wrong really.

The Xbox 360 will live on as one of the greatest consoles of all time, and to be honest though I know it's controversial I don't think it's a stretch at all to say it's the greatest console of last generation. I still play mine regularly, with Skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas being on my current pull list.

I do think that IS a pretty big call,and I know a lot of Playstation 3 fans that will challenge that argument and if you look at the sales figures alone they have a fair point. The Xbox 360 while no doubt will go down as one of Microsoft's success stories from a gamers point of view, If we're looking at the whole of the console market from the days of the NES right up to and including this generation of consoles and even maybe the next, I'm not sure that the Xbox 360 will rank among the greats for many people.

It took the PlayStation 3 a long while for it to pass the Xbox 360 in sales, for the majority of the generation the Xbox 360 was ahead of it and if we go by that, that also means the Wii is better than both since it sold a bit more than both of them; though if we're going by sales as a measure if something is good that would mean Call of Duty games are consistently the best games each year they release since they sell the most copies.

I also think the Xbox 360 has a special place in gaming history since it's what brought online console gaming to the mainstream. While yes, PS2 and Xbox and other consoles even before that did online gaming the 360 is what lit the world on fire with it. I have no problem with agreeing by the end the PS3 was equal to the 360, but it's hard to deny that 360 paved the way first, and not just because it was released first.

Last edited:
I'm not saying that the Xbox 360 isn't or wasn't a great console because it was/is, I just don't think that when we look at the history of home consoles it will go down as the best ever. Personally I think that mantle will go to the Playstation 2, and while it obviously wasn't as powerful as the Xbox 360, I think that is the system that made home console gaming the success it is today, and its the system that made even those not interested in gaming sit up and take note.

We are all going to have our own different opinions though, and I think that as far as gaming is concerned that can only be a good thing as it means that companies such as Sony, Microsoft and Nintendo will never hold a monopoly as they are all catering for peoples different preferences.

I'm fine with that, but I do agree with you it won't be looked at as the greatest console of all time. I think the PS2, the SNES or the NES will be. Or, some people might argue the Atari 2600 I suppose. However, when it comes down to it, I do think that it can be considered in the top 10/20 or somewhere along those lines.

Who know's where we are going to end up as well when it comes to gaming with VR being the next big thing, so to speak. In a few years time consoles like the ones we have mentioned might be a distant memory as we are all living and gaming in a virtual reality world, and sat staring at an actual screen might be considered old fashioned and something we never imagined we would have been doing.

I have not really heard all the much about The Scorpio, so maybe there will still be some room for the 360 in the old lineup. I still play mine with regularity, and I love my NHL on the 360. Something about the controls is perfect for me, so I am going to have trouble giving that up. I think that we will have to wait and see a little bit before calling it a relic, yet anyways.

For me and a lot of other gamers, it's the games that matter rather than the console itself, and just because the Xbox 360 is now considered last generation, there's still a lot of the actual games that where made available on there that people still play to this day.

The console might be outdated and soon when the Scorpio comes out it will be two generations old, but if the games are still enjoyable to play, does it really matter how old the console is?

Back