Xbox One A different perspective

Esperahol

Okay so I wrote this in another thread, but I'm pretty sure it'll be lost in the stack so I'm making a separate thread. I have noticed that some folks keep saying that gamers are being idiots because MS is bringing the future. Could one of them explain it to me? Because I'm not seeing the future or rather I'm seeing Bladerunner versus StarTrek. MS was all about the check and a future monopoly rather than trying to create anything like a better experience. Still please explain why gamers being responsible consumers makes them babies. I'd really like to know.

games are babies. self intitled smart guys if you will.

they fear the furture of gaming because its not what they know now.... its an unknown variable and what do smart people hate the most... stuff they dont know. this is why everything is a formula.. i calso call these people purists...

ps4 came out with esentially a ps3+better hardware nothing new nothing changed... the gamers rejoice and have nothing to say because well their is nothing to say it follows the formula of what console gaming is right now.

xb1 comes out with tv input, digital gaming(push), connect ideas,cloud,kinect and the formula is no longer their.. hard copy games never went away gamestop,walmart,target,bestbuy didn't close up shop xb1 was just giving you that option. tv input is second hand you dont have to hook it cable to it... its an option again. being connected wasnt something they came up with o the fly.. microsoft know the data and how many 360's are connected via internet and were trying to give us a new experiance do people really think microsoft would cut out 1/4 of their profits.. its a multi billion dollar business.

microsoft may seem to live in a bubble or on their campus and not understand the consumer/gamer but i think its the other way around gamers dont know how to do business on a million/billion dollar level. they dont have the numbers and trends of the market that make running a business like a console possible. look at nintendo we barley concider them console at this point and it has similar hardware to ps4/xb1.

Well look at it this way MS is the same people who give us Windows and Windows has historically followed a pattern of good and suck. Most recently Windows 7 has been good and Windows 8 sucked. However, if you went on a PC board you'd have people saying that Windows 8 was the future and people were just being childish/ignorant - however the truth of it is that Windows 8 sucked. It was clumsy and pointless and a complete gimmick.

So what is my point? Just because companies make billions doesn't mean they aren't capable of mistakes or stupidity. Look at what they started from - they weren't going to support Japan or Poland regardless of internet connection, they failed to understand that life happens (internet can and will go down), they wanted to only have digital download versus hard copy as well as DRM which meant they could charge what they wanted without consideration for market forces - or it least it would have if not for Sony and Nintendo sticking to hard copy. It just... thank you for your opinion, but I don't agree - particularly the more I learn of their shenanigans.

Well look at it this way MS is the same people who give us Windows and Windows has historically followed a pattern of good and suck. Most recently Windows 7 has been good and Windows 8 sucked. However, if you went on a PC board you'd have people saying that Windows 8 was the future and people were just being childish/ignorant - however the truth of it is that Windows 8 sucked. It was clumsy and pointless and a complete gimmick.

So what is my point? Just because companies make billions doesn't mean they aren't capable of mistakes or stupidity. Look at what they started from - they weren't going to support Japan or Poland regardless of internet connection, they failed to understand that life happens (internet can and will go down), they wanted to only have digital download versus hard copy as well as DRM which meant they could charge what they wanted without consideration for market forces - or it least it would have if not for Sony and Nintendo sticking to hard copy. It just... thank you for your opinion, but I don't agree - particularly the more I learn of their shenanigans.

Why would anyone want a ps4? Here is why I am buying the XB1 over ps4. Controller and xbox multiplayer/internet owns psn.

sc_shark, you're ignoring that what Microsoft was doing was shoving terrible DRM down people's throats. That's why people got mad. They can innovate without stupid DRM practices that screw the consumers over. Family Sharing could work without DRM bullcrap, for example, but they got called out for their terrible DRM practices and threw a hissy fit and said they wouldn't do Family Sharing and they also recently killed off Family Plan.

Sony has its flaws too, but they aren't blatantly attempting to screw over their customers at all times like Microsoft is.

we could be well past this(next gen consoles) already.. well past it.
we had sega saturn back on 1995 at a msrp of 400 dollars... thats right same price as ps4..... with inflation it makes it more expensive than xbox1.....

microsoft was not forcing drm on anyone. it openly stated it was up to the developers so blame the developers for wanting it.. microsoft just went with it.

im glad they took family sharing away... im glad you cant access your library or share with your friends you didn't want a digital check so you wernt swapping games with frinds and screwing the developers which is exactly what would have happned in the end. no gamer would pay for a game if they could openly share it and have it on their console... it would have been the prime target on hacking off the bat.

they did away with family plan because the xb1 can use the same console/live with mutiple accounts.

to me drm is a check/balance on used game market. if you were digital where games didn't need a cd what you keep you from selling/trading/borrowing the cd the next day or sharing or swapping and still playing.. would you delete the game off your system????? people dont complaine that xbox gold games dont have a cd do they? they can get on without a cd and play... the free games you get with gold are technically drm.. you recieced a product and the license on your gamertag to play the game.

people are liers and cheaters and would exploit that to the point that microsoft abandoned the console... its the same thing that happned to dreamcast... the consumer figured out how to rip/burn games and it was over within a year... you could buy any game for 5bux or trade it for a soda...

i would love digital gaming where i didnt have to get up to play a diffrent game.. im lazy and play my system in bed.. i would absolutly love a library of games at a click im not getting up to switch a cd just like no one is getting up to turn a channel on the tv why we have remotes.

Digital Rights Management (DRM) technology is used by content providers such as Xbox LIVE Marketplace to control how game and video files are used and distributed. Xbox LIVE Marketplace sells and rents DRM-protected videos, games, and add-in content that are covered by media usage rights that allow specific uses of that content.

When you purchase content, you receive a license to use that content. The license has two parts: the system license and the local license. The system license applies to the gamertag that purchases the content, and the local license applies to the console where you first downloaded the content.

hear is the quote about drm policies....
xbox One’s DRM policy clarified and it’s just as bad as we expected
today Microsoft detailed the Xbox One’s used game policies, and guess what, they’re as bad as we thought. Publishers want a slice of the used game pie, but are they biting the hand that feeds by trying to impose anti-consumer restrictions?
that is not microsoft that is the developers..

the 24hr check was a packet of info a ping if you will... this is stuff that happens in a milla second. consoles are now wifi or hardwire dsl connected. its not like we disconnect our wifi or unplug wirles routers or turn out internet off... its always their. if you didn't hve internet you could still play games you just were not sharing or multiplayer gaming anyway.. its really not a far cry. its not like they said you have no internet your system dosnt work. what they said is you wont get the same experiance with the cloud and match making games were still playabe.. if you lost internet you wern't playing multiplayer anyway so whats the big deal.
ive gone as far as useing my iphone as a hotspot on 3g to update a game ad played multiplayer.. so it can be done and i have horrible internet service at home. it has issues all the time but thats not microsoft thats my provider.

think of how big the internet is to gaming right now.. next gen.... titanfall is a dedicated miltiplayer internet game.. solo/story line is built into the game which is soley multiplayer. forza5 is relying on the cloud to compute ai which are the apponent your race against and thats a solo game. you can multiplayer or lobby play but the core game is based around solo play. its to the point that forza5 your racing against people multiplayer without every actually racing them in a lobby.

games are babies. self intitled smart guys if you will.

they fear the furture of gaming because its not what they know now.... its an unknown variable and what do smart people hate the most... stuff they dont know. this is why everything is a formula.. i calso call these people purists...

ps4 came out with esentially a ps3+better hardware nothing new nothing changed... the gamers rejoice and have nothing to say because well their is nothing to say it follows the formula of what console gaming is right now.

xb1 comes out with tv input, digital gaming(push), connect ideas,cloud,kinect and the formula is no longer their.. hard copy games never went away gamestop,walmart,target,bestbuy didn't close up shop xb1 was just giving you that option. tv input is second hand you dont have to hook it cable to it... its an option again. being connected wasnt something they came up with o the fly.. microsoft know the data and how many 360's are connected via internet and were trying to give us a new experiance do people really think microsoft would cut out 1/4 of their profits.. its a multi billion dollar business.

microsoft may seem to live in a bubble or on their campus and not understand the consumer/gamer but i think its the other way around gamers dont know how to do business on a million/billion dollar level. they dont have the numbers and trends of the market that make running a business like a console possible. look at nintendo we barley concider them console at this point and it has similar hardware to ps4/xb1.

So you are saying that people that know what they want are stupid.
Here comes Microsoft, saying how they will revolutionize the industry with their restrictions and limitations by calling it digital and family sharing. People see what is happening and call them out for it and they end up changing most of it.
Now we have that small group of people that is mad they changed it because they would love to be ripped off by Microsoft because "it's different, it's the future.". Because yeah, everything that is different is instantly better.

Next thing i am going to hear is that the Ouya was a good idea.

sc_shark, you're ignoring that what Microsoft was doing was shoving terrible DRM down people's throats. That's why people got mad. They can innovate without stupid DRM practices that screw the consumers over. Family Sharing could work without DRM bullcrap, for example, but they got called out for their terrible DRM practices and threw a hissy fit and said they wouldn't do Family Sharing and they also recently killed off Family Plan.

Sony has its flaws too, but they aren't blatantly attempting to screw over their customers at all times like Microsoft is.

MISFT wasnt shoving anyhting down our throat. They are the comapny that HAD the balls to be the 1st company to start what IS going to happen eventually. The only thing we have done is delay the inevitable. Me for one wish they didnt do a 180. But I do wish they had better PR. THAT is where their problem was, they didnt explain WHY we needed the DRM. So that was on them. And also WE ALL knew what we were getting with the X1. But no one questioned Sony. I bet more than HALF of Sony fans STILL dont know they have to pay for multiplayer now.

So you are saying that people that know what they want are stupid.
Here comes Microsoft, saying how they will revolutionize the industry with their restrictions and limitations by calling it digital and family sharing. People see what is happening and call them out for it and they end up changing most of it.
Now we have that small group of people that is mad they changed it because they would love to be ripped off by Microsoft because "it's different, it's the future.". Because yeah, everything that is different is instantly better.

Next thing i am going to hear is that the Ouya was a good idea.

Well I would say that Ouya WAS a good thing...for small developers that is. And now Amazon is rumored to make an android based console...oh boy

Back