A Link Between Worlds discussion

BitesizeCrayons

I know there are some Zelda fans in this community, and long-time ones at that, so I think it's safe to say that some of us are psyched that A Link to the Past is getting a direct sequel that pays homage to its style.

Some of the points of interest:

-It will be like A Link to the Past aesthetically and stylistically, but with the bells and whistles of the 3DS tech; a "neo classic" of sorts.
-You don't have to do the dungeons in order. This was possible in a limited sense in previous games, but from what I understand, you don't have to make progress in one dungeon to progress in another.
-There's a Triforce like always, but also a strongly speculated Dark Triforce as well.
-The magic meter refills automatically, and arrows, bombs, the hammer, etc use magic instead of having their own supply.
-Link can become a drawing to reach new areas and do other interesting things.

So, what say the Zelda fans about this? Personally, I think it's the most interesting Zelda title in a long time, and that's quite a statement.

I can't say that I am in love with the game. It is probably because I am not a fan of the new art style. I understand that they wanted to update the Link to the Past style, but I'm not a fan. I would have preferred if they stuck with 2D models.

With that said, I've heard that it looks great in person. And I am not going to judge a game solely on visuals. People did that with Wind Waker and look how much we love that game.

To be honest the art style rather puts me off, but it seems like something to get my kid brother into. So... bonding? This game is for bonding. Yes.

Its a call to fans who loved a Link to the Past. I think that any of the older Zelda fans are going to just jump onto. You can mention the name and you get an idea of what the Zelda series brought and the intensity of the story that they pushed forward. This game put together a few side stories that I felt like the franchise would hold onto and bring along for the ride as more titles rose. Even the game boy addition had a little bit of side story, but in Link to the Past, you had people who had their specific things going on, in the world and it was really cool.

In the original Zelda and even Zelda 2 there were characters, but they were ultimately inconsequential to what you were doing and the antagonists were one dimensional when we all know now that Gannon is kind of a bad ass and has a lot going on in the background.

I have a lot of thoughts about it being the same style as well, that might not be a way to go about the development of the game, but you can't say too much until you see it and play it.

I just recently learned that Nintendo is trying to switch up the formula for this game. There will be a main shop to buy items which may allow you greater freedom with how you complete the quest. That really hasn't been the case since the early games. I would be so down for a non-linear Zelda!

Back