Xbox One Albert Penello briings dGPU Xbox One rumor to an end

KN1GHTMARE

Former Moderator
From
NJ
Website
socialclub.rockstargames.com
JgMzOMl.jpg
I guess it was too good to be true anyways. Although Like I have said before, I think the difference despite the specs will be minimal and as long as you're happy with your choice, nothing else matters.

Source: Twitter

Lets assume that the NeoGaf and rest of the hive mind is absolutely totally right the difference really is 50%

So a game that at the very max detail of the X1, the X1 can only manage 30fps... Means that exact same game will only get 45fps on the PS4.

Mind you, that is assuming the NeoGaf hive mind is Totally correct with their most pessimistic predictions of the capabilities of the X1.

Even IF (and I say it is a huge if) the NeoGaf hive mind is correct in their assertions, it is still not that big of a difference.

Here is some more info from Albert Penello MS Director of Product Planning - http://67.227.255.239/forum/showthread.php?p=80951633#post80951633

I see my statements the other day caused more of a stir than I had intended. I saw threads locking down as fast as they pop up, so I apologize for the delayed response.

I was hoping my comments would lead the discussion to be more about the games (and the fact that games on both systems look great) as a sign of my point about performance, but unfortunately I saw more discussion of my credibility.

So I thought I would add more detail to what I said the other day, that perhaps people can debate those individual merits instead of making personal attacks. This should hopefully dismiss the notion I'm simply creating FUD or spin.

I do want to be super clear: I'm not disparaging Sony. I'm not trying to diminish them, or their launch or what they have said. But I do need to draw comparisons since I am trying to explain that the way people are calculating the differences between the two machines isn't completely accurate. I think I've been upfront I have nothing but respect for those guys, but I'm not a fan of the mis-information about our performance.

So, here are couple of points about some of the individual parts for people to consider:

• 18 CU's vs. 12 CU's =/= 50% more performance. Multi-core processors have inherent inefficiency with more CU's, so it's simply incorrect to say 50% more GPU.
• Adding to that, each of our CU's is running 6% faster. It's not simply a 6% clock speed increase overall.
• We have more memory bandwidth. 176gb/sec is peak on paper for GDDR5. Our peak on paper is 272gb/sec. (68gb/sec DDR3 + 204gb/sec on ESRAM). ESRAM can do read/write cycles simultaneously so I see this number mis-quoted.
• We have at least 10% more CPU. Not only a faster processor, but a better audio chip also offloading CPU cycles.
• We understand GPGPU and its importance very well. Microsoft invented Direct Compute, and have been using GPGPU in a shipping product since 2010 - it's called Kinect.
• Speaking of GPGPU - we have 3X the coherent bandwidth for GPGPU at 30gb/sec which significantly improves our ability for the CPU to efficiently read data generated by the GPU.

Hopefully with some of those more specific points people will understand where we have reduced bottlenecks in the system. I'm sure this will get debated endlessly but at least you can see I'm backing up my points.

I still I believe that we get little credit for the fact that, as a SW company, the people designing our system are some of the smartest graphics engineers around – they understand how to architect and balance a system for graphics performance. Each company has their strengths, and I feel that our strength is overlooked when evaluating both boxes.

Given this continued belief of a significant gap, we're working with our most senior graphics and silicon engineers to get into more depth on this topic. They will be more credible then I am, and can talk in detail about some of the benchmarking we've done and how we balanced our system.

Thanks again for letting my participate. Hope this gives people more background on my claims.

I think this once again goes back to my post yesterday that Microsoft is not trying to provide the fastest hardware but a well balanced machine that their software utilizes to the fullest.

Here is some more info from Albert Penello MS Director of Product Planning - http://67.227.255.239/forum/showthread.php?p=80951633#post80951633

I think this once again goes back to my post yesterday that Microsoft is not trying to provide the fastest hardware but a well balanced machine that their software utilizes to the fullest.

BINGO!! Just like the 360 and PS3. On paper PS3 BLEW AWAY the 360. But it wasnt abiut having the best hardware. You eeded to have a balance in software and hardware. hence why more than HALF of all 3rd party titles look and run better on 360 than PS3.

I am more discouraged by the freak out of a certain segment that seems intent on demonizing anything and everything any Microsoft representative says...

The response to the initial tweet and follow up being examples of that.

It is little wonder that Microsoft seems to want to distance its self from "core" gamers.

I am more discouraged by the freak out of a certain segment that seems intent on demonizing anything and everything any Microsoft representative says...

It is little wonder that Microsoft seems to want to distance its self from "core" gamers.

I cans ee what you mean lol

Out of the 48 million or more Xbox live people I wonder how many of them are the ones bashing what Microsoft has to say. It seems on blog sites more ps4 fans are bashing what Microsoft has to say.. I really think that the Internet is a small sample. And for those who are getting the Xbox should ignore what negative things are said until after the console is released... Because we don't n know how it will perform.

Most of the negative stuff written as well on blog sites are not from actual people who have tested the system but have hear say info.. Atleast that's what I have been reading when I google Xbox one news :)

Well look, NeoGAF and more or less the entire "core" gamer segment has gone from being the center of the gaming universe to being the minority. We're not in the Sega Genesis/SNES days anymore where the only people who played video games were "video gamers". And because they are no longer the center of the gaming universe, places like NeoGAF have a hatred for casual gamers. And with that comes a hatred for anything that even remotely caters to the casual gamer.

That is why you see the burning hatred for Kinect, and for any of the non-gaming functions the Xbox One is trying to accomplish. And they feel like they are still so important that Microsoft should completely cater to them even if it means destroying their own vision or something they spent millions in R&D on. And in this case, why specs matter to them. They don't have anything else to hang their hat on, so it's all about the GDDR's and the TFLOPS. Which is ironic because I'd say 95% of NeoGAF has no idea what any of that stuff means. It was hilarious watching them try to pretend they all knew what HUMA was after they thought the PS4 had it and the Xbox One didn't.

And why I am glad that I am no longer a "hardcore" gamer.

Well look, NeoGAF and more or less the entire "core" gamer segment has gone from being the center of the gaming universe to being the minority. We're not in the Sega Genesis/SNES days anymore where the only people who played video games were "video gamers". And because they are no longer the center of the gaming universe, places like NeoGAF have a hatred for casual gamers. And with that comes a hatred for anything that even remotely caters to the casual gamer.

That is why you see the burning hatred for Kinect, and for any of the non-gaming functions the Xbox One is trying to accomplish. And they feel like they are still so important that Microsoft should completely cater to them even if it means destroying their own vision or something they spent millions in R&D on. And in this case, why specs matter to them. They don't have anything else to hang their hat on, so it's all about the GDDR's and the TFLOPS. Which is ironic because I'd say 95% of NeoGAF has no idea what any of that stuff means. It was hilarious watching them try to pretend they all knew what HUMA was after they thought the PS4 had it and the Xbox One didn't.

And why I am glad that I am no longer a "hardcore" gamer

BAM!!!! I have been talkng with my wife about this. I used to be a HARDCORE GAMER. I am only 25 and I can see how the dempgraphic has changed SO much. I now consider myself a "Passionate Casual Gamer"

Well I can honestly say back when I was single it was work full time then days off 100% gaming :). Then I got married at 26 and my gaming time went from 100% to about 75%. Then we had our first kid it went from 75% to 55-65% the as my daughter has gotten older my time is down to 25-30%. We just had our second kid and I probably only play 2 - 5 hours a week now lol.. So my hardcore gamer self is now a casual gamer to get away and relax from real life :)

Plus happy wife = happy life :)

Well I can honestly say back when I was single it was work full time then days off 100% gaming :). Then I got married at 26 and my gaming time went from 100% to about 75%. Then we had our first kid it went from 75% to 55-65% the as my daughter has gotten older my time is down to 25-30%. We just had our second kid and I probably only play 2 - 5 hours a week now lol.. So my hardcore gamer self is now a casual gamer to get away and relax from real life :)

Nice! I was lucky enough to marry gamer wife lol. We are both getting the X1. And no kids over at this gamer household lol. But I was th esame way, I just would play games CONSTANTLY. Now im about maybe 65-75% of that. I say passionate because I LOVE game. I love talking about them to my wife, friends, family, or even on here with you guys. Getting into a debate is fun every now an then. But honestly...lol i know im only 25 but i cannot keep up with these Hardcore Gamers these days lol. They are too much lol

Lol that is cool your wife is a gamer too! Another reason I got the Xbox one was to maybe be able to get my wife involved in some of the kinect games. Such as kinect sports rivals. I really like the idea of it and once they work out some bugs it could be a good game.

I can relate. Also my entire family uses the xbox WAY more than I do...and I've 5 girls...
It's mainly a media center as it sits now, and when the kids are monopolizing it, and my honey isn't on it watching a movie or exercising (I love watching her exercise btw, lol) - I play as much as I can.

So the X1 is going to be a big game changer here...and once I can swing it, another box and flat screen (smaller of course than what's in the living room) will be mine for upstairs gaming! I've already discussed this and it's all a GO! woot! (no, I won't be getting two 'day one' models).

I know how you feel and agree 100%. Similar situation myself.

I can relate. Also my entire family uses the xbox WAY more than I do...and I've 5 girls...
It's mainly a media center as it sits now, and when the kids are monopolizing it, and my honey isn't on it watching a movie or exercising (I love watching her exercise btw, lol) - I play as much as I can.

So the X1 is going to be a big game changer here...and once I can swing it, another box and flat screen (smaller of course than what's in the living room) will be mine for upstairs gaming! I've already discussed this and it's all a GO! woot! (no, I won't be getting two 'day one' models).

Yea my daughter is going to be 3 in November and she has already taken over my ps3 for her media watching :)

This is very close to the way my life has gone gaming-wise. And I ran multiple gaming websites on top of that and went to E3 and spent a ton of time doing all that. Having 2 kids really limited my gaming time, but having my oldest be able to play Kinect games with me (and watch me play Skyrim for some reason) has really helped.

BINGO!! Just like the 360 and PS3. On paper PS3 BLEW AWAY the 360. But it wasnt abiut having the best hardware. You eeded to have a balance in software and hardware. hence why more than HALF of all 3rd party titles look and run better on 360 than PS3.

And while on paper it sounded good that no one knew how to operate a PS3, the system ended up with a lot more exclusives for it, which doesn't mean that more is better, but it's something to have in mind.

That's fanatical culture for you. They exist on all sides of this generation's console war. Microsoft wouldn't be doing themselves any favors by ignoring the "hardcore" sect, but they oughtn't work to appease their insatiable demands.

That's fanatical culture for you. They exist on all sides of this generation's console war. Microsoft wouldn't be doing themselves any favors by ignoring the "hardcore" sect, but they oughtn't work to appease their insatiable demands.

They aren't though. The launch games alone show this. But those hardcore gamers at this point are punishing Microsoft for daring to also cater to casual gamers too. And it's not even the hardcore sect, it's the extreme forum console warrior sect at this point.

It doesn't matter who has the better hardware. The reason PS3 has ill-performing games is because it's difficult to develop for. A lot of developers complained about how hard it was to make a well-performing game on the PS3, not because the hardware was limited, but because it was restrictive. Again, though, most developers will go for the least amount of effort. If the Xbox One has the lowest specs, they'll develop it for the Xbox One and port it as-is to other consoles. They're not going to buff up a game just for a cross-platform release.

Back