Xbox One At $500, Microsoft Says The Xbox One Will Break Even Or Make A Profit

Disagree i think having Kinect in every box will make it easier for developers to integrate. Smart move on their part.

But at the same time, the inflated price makes it unattractive for many potential buyers.

But at the same time, the inflated price makes it unattractive for many potential buyers.

But just the same, attractive to others. I know a few non gamers that are suddenly interested because of the tv and motion control. I think Microsoft is reaching pass the hardcore and even if its a gimmick its a gimmick that will sell.

You do see what I'm saying though, right? There is no 100% certainty of success until the day comes. I was merely using the game as an analogue because the hype and expectations are/were very similar.

No, I don't. I stand by my contention that you chose a poor example for a stance that will not happen. Diablo III was bungled due to the in game market or whatever it is called, their initial cap on the levels because they were trying to do some sort of verification and a few other things. The anticipation of the game and initial financial success was not a failure, the execution of game after their market had it in their hands, was.

You either haven't been paying attention to what has come out about the One or you simply won't ever believe that Kinect is a worthy piece of technology until you find yourself using it much more than you've planned. First, for many people Kinect better and more often than it did not. It wasn't so much the hardware, it was the implementation from the developers. As I said in another thread, Kinect can't be perfect during a dance game or exercise game and then suddenly horrible during Star Wars.

The developers decided that they wanted to shortcut the time needed to make a good Kinect game, but the hardware stayed the same.

I think what you're failing to realize is I don't care how neat a Kinect is because I don't want it and have no intention of using it. It appears most developers would agree with me, as well, judging from how well it's been implemented in current gen games. You can't say their success relies on a piece of hardware that nobody uses because... well... nobody uses it! Unless developer interest in the Kinect suddenly spikes in a big big way, Kinect won't be something the Xbox One can lord over anybody. It doesn't matter how good the Kinect is if nobody is developing for it.

No, I don't. I stand by my contention that you chose a poor example for a stance that will not happen. Diablo III was bungled due to the in game market or whatever it is called, their initial cap on the levels because they were trying to do some sort of verification and a few other things. The anticipation of the game and initial financial success was not a failure, the execution of game after their market had it in their hands, was.

Stop. This isn't a situation that you can state "will not happen" and no re-phrasing of your opinion is going to change that. Do you think Microsoft thinks the same as you? Do you think they don't have a back up plan in place? For the sake of your beloved console you should hope not.

IIsn't that the whole purpose? For them to make a profit? I am sure that is what they always hope for. Breaking even is better than losing out, too, but at $500, it is quite obvious that they don't intend to lose on this one.

I think what you're failing to realize is I don't care how neat a Kinect is because I don't want it and have no intention of using it. It appears most developers would agree with me, as well, judging from how well it's been implemented in current gen games. You can't say their success relies on a piece of hardware that nobody uses because... well... nobody uses it! Unless developer interest in the Kinect suddenly spikes in a big big way, Kinect won't be something the Xbox One can lord over anybody. It doesn't matter how good the Kinect is if nobody is developing for it.

You keep claiming that no one uses it, but if that were the case, then the sequels to the most popular games would have never been made and continued to make them the most popular games!

No, YOU don't use it. Yet. It will come to games that you want and will have to use it for. Not because Microsoft is trying to force it down anyone's throat but because there are developers out there that see the technology, see the possibilities and want to use it.

I'm sure there is someone claiming that SmartGlass is stupid and "no one uses it or ever will," but when Watch Dogs comes out and shows you how the game is greatly enhanced with SmartGlass, everyone will have their tablet or phones sitting right by them playing along.

You keep claiming that no one uses it, but if that were the case, then the sequels to the most popular games would have never been made and continued to make them the most popular games!

No, YOU don't use it. Yet. It will come to games that you want and will have to use it for. Not because Microsoft is trying to force it down anyone's throat but because there are developers out there that see the technology, see the possibilities and want to use it.

I'm sure there is someone claiming that SmartGlass is stupid and "no one uses it or ever will," but when Watch Dogs comes out and shows you how the game is greatly enhanced with SmartGlass, everyone will have their tablet or phones sitting right by them playing along.

You sure know how to make a statement Sugar. Well said! If the KInECT was not all beels and whistles then developers would NOT of wanted it...look at the Eye. We can clearly see which is more wanted. We are going to start to see developers taking advantage of this thing alot sooner than anyone thinks. And it doesnt even have to be motion.

The developers didn't want to risk resources developing for kinect because of the broken install base. Now they are guaranteed everyone on XB1 will have one and this will allow them to spend resources on developing new and better concepts.

The developers didn't want to risk resources developing for kinect because of the broken install base. Now they are guaranteed everyone on XB1 will have one and this will allow them to spend resources on developing new and better concepts.

You and I and others know that the KiNECT this time will get alot of great and amazing new inovations this gen. Like you said, developers NOW know that every owner HAS a KiNECT

I have no idea what you're even referencing with 'the most popular games'. I play popular games on the Xbox 360 without a Kinect and, uh, I don't really see the Kinect functionality playing any role at all in how I play. I think Mass Effect 3 had voice commands, but that's all I can really think of off the top of my head.

Microsoft is absolutely forcing it down people's throats, because the only option for people to buy an Xbox, is to buy a Kinect. They aren't giving anyone the option to buy the Kinect or not, even if they don't want it. I think that fits the use of the term 'forcing it down people's throats' pretty nicely. I'm sure there are devs who want to use it more effectively, but I severely doubt we'll see anything interesting for years, and even then, it's not going to be enough to really turn public opinion around on the Kinect. I've played it. It's a neat little motion control device, sure, but it's entirely a gimmick. It's a motion controller. It's no more revolutionary than the Wii motion controls or the Playstation Eye or whatever it's called.

See, the difference between SmartGlass and the Xbox Kinect, is that I don't have to buy a tablet or a smartphone with my Xbox. I really, really doubt SmartGlass is going to be utilized in a big way, but that doesn't matter so much, because I'm not being forced to buy a tablet with my console! When given the choice between making a solid multi-platform game that's easy to support, and a specialized, Xbox only game with difficult-to-develop Kinect functionality, I think most will opt for the former, rather than the latter.

For Xbox exclusive titles that they want to do the work on, sure. But there aren't a ton of companies that develop exclusively for the Xbox (I think Gears of War, Halo, and Titanfall are the only things I can name off the top of my head), and I really doubt those companies are going to use the Kinect in a super revolutionary way. Besides, we don't even know how well the Kinect works or how easy it is to develop for. Saying that Microsoft is going to make more money in the long run off of a device we know almost nothing about is borderline asinine.

Okay, so because you're limited in your thinking, you also believe that the creative forces behind these games are also. I just told you how Watch Dogs will be using SmartGlass, but it won't be "utilized in a big way."

Sigh.

The industry is one of trends and if one developer sees how another one made their game that much more through Kinect or SmartGlass, they will find a way to do it themselves.

As for the popular games, I suppose under your rock, they don't mention Dance Central, Dance Central 2, Fruit Ninja Kinect or the Your Shape exercise games. Just a few examples of developers that took the time to use the FIRST Kinect correctly and created really good and POPULAR, HIGH SELLING games.

I have no idea what you're even referencing with 'the most popular games'. I play popular games on the Xbox 360 without a Kinect and, uh, I don't really see the Kinect functionality playing any role at all in how I play. I think Mass Effect 3 had voice commands, but that's all I can really think of off the top of my head.

Microsoft is absolutely forcing it down people's throats, because the only option for people to buy an Xbox, is to buy a Kinect. They aren't giving anyone the option to buy the Kinect or not, even if they don't want it. I think that fits the use of the term 'forcing it down people's throats' pretty nicely. I'm sure there are devs who want to use it more effectively, but I severely doubt we'll see anything interesting for years, and even then, it's not going to be enough to really turn public opinion around on the Kinect. I've played it. It's a neat little motion control device, sure, but it's entirely a gimmick. It's a motion controller. It's no more revolutionary than the Wii motion controls or the Playstation Eye or whatever it's called.

See, the difference between SmartGlass and the Xbox Kinect, is that I don't have to buy a tablet or a smartphone with my Xbox. I really, really doubt SmartGlass is going to be utilized in a big way, but that doesn't matter so much, because I'm not being forced to buy a tablet with my console! When given the choice between making a solid multi-platform game that's easy to support, and a specialized, Xbox only game with difficult-to-develop Kinect functionality, I think most will opt for the former, rather than the latter.

I'm pretty sure he was referring to the most popular Kinect titles, not games with Kinect support. Although Madden, Ghost Recon, Splinter Cell: Blacklist, Dead Space 3, Skyrim, NBA 2k13, Forza 4/ Horizon, NFS: Hot Pursuit (2012) and Tiger Woods are just some of the games I've personally played that support it.

Back