Xbox One Availability around launch time

Joker99352

From
Washington
What do you think the availability will be like in the weeks following the Xbox One's release? I remember when the Wii came out how hard it was to find one, and you had to monitor online very closely for the opportunity to find one (and then you had to wait in line for it). I expect the Xbox One will be in higher demand than the Wii was, so are they going to manufacture more of them up front? Or is it just going to be a waiting game for those of us who decided not to pre-order?

Ha, yeah I remember when the Wii came out there was so little availability for it. I think with the asking price of $499 it will be a bit harder for Xbox One's to sell right off the shelf like the Wii did though. I don't know, I don't think people will have too hard of a time getting a console.

Another step in the hole. Why are they restricting the console more, even inside their own country? Do they plan to expand this before the release or what?

All new technology releases have restrictions based upon how much they can make at a time - which is also why they are only launching in a select number of countries at first. They will roll out to other countries and have more stock available over time.

As to how hard it will be to find a console at launch: I live in a non-metropolitan area and most stores around me are either sold out of preorders or nearly so. MS said they are trying to ramp up production to meet the demand that came up after their E3 conference, but, in my opinion, if you don't preorder soon, your best hope would be a Wal-Mart or some place that doesn't do preorders and wait in line for launch.

What kinds of restrictions? It seems like they'd be able to sell as much as they could, since there's clearly demand. I don't think the price will have much of an effect, either, since so many stores are selling out already.

Restrictions in how much can be produced with a low amount of faults in a timely manner. This is what usually keeps stock low on high tech items.

They are most likely going to overstock their consoles since they know there will be a lot of people that will be buying both the PS4 and Xbox One, especially on the release date. They are already allowing people to pre-order it so I'm guessing that's how they will be getting their numbers, and the availability. Number of pre-orders plus a certain amount equals their stock is my hunch. Generally, it's better to overstock than understock.

The Xbox One and PS4 will definitely be in higher demand than the Wii U. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Preorders weren't already toppling the amount of WiiU sales to-date. I think if you preorder it, you should be able to get it on day one. However, those who don't preorder will have tough time finding one until after Holiday season IMO.

It'll probably be sold out for a while. Rumored Yield issues are all but confirmed, which is why we're seeing a staggered launch outside of the first 21 regions. Japan is looking at their launch in December, outside of that it's mostly 2014.

If you don't preorder soon, I'd imagine that you're gonna be out of luck for a few months just like the 360.

Expect it to sell out day one and probably be sold out through Christmas with stock opening up after.

Specific launch regions were clearly picked by last gen performance and so they can have a maximum amount of consoles out at launch for these regions.

Hopefully they will open other regions soon after launch but I wouldn't expect any new ones before launch.

I'm excited to be on Live when it first comes out. I remember being on Live on the original Xbox when Live first launched. Glad I have mine preordered, I just have to decide what games I want now.

I'm excited to be on Live when it first comes out. I remember being on Live on the original Xbox when Live first launched. Glad I have mine preordered, I just have to decide what games I want now.

Yeah, same here. Have mines on preorder right now and hoping I don't have any trouble getting one. I mean, outside of the US I think the UK is one of the bigger markets for them so it shouldn't be too bad as far as stock availability goes.

All new technology releases have restrictions based upon how much they can make at a time - which is also why they are only launching in a select number of countries at first. They will roll out to other countries and have more stock available over time.

As to how hard it will be to find a console at launch: I live in a non-metropolitan area and most stores around me are either sold out of preorders or nearly so. MS said they are trying to ramp up production to meet the demand that came up after their E3 conference, but, in my opinion, if you don't preorder soon, your best hope would be a Wal-Mart or some place that doesn't do preorders and wait in line for launch.

Oh really, I didn't know that.
Not really fair for the government to say, 'sorry, you're making and selling too many consoles, you're gonna have to hold some back and sell em at a later date'.
Doesn't make any sense to me at all?

Restrictions in how much can be produced with a low amount of faults in a timely manner. This is what usually keeps stock low on high tech items.

Ah, that makes sense. I know there have been rumors about a Wii U recall, but I don't think they're actually doing that. Still, I can see where it would be an issue if something did go wrong. I don't know why I didn't think of that; it seems pretty obvious now that you mention it.

If it takes time to work out the bugs--even if they're minor ones--then I'd rather wait to buy one anyway. I definitely agree that the Xbox One and PS4 consoles will be in higher demand than the Wii U, but I suppose that's nothing new.

Back