Xbox 360 Becoming a video game designer

RonP44

Has anyone else been curious about what it takes to learn how to design video games? I can't imagine it's an easy field to get into. What sorts of skills and abilities do you think are required to get started?

I would guess you would need a huge amount of coding ability, artistry ability, and good ideas! Haha, the coding would be the hardest I actually saw part of what goes into a game. It is a lot.

It would be cool wouldn't it? I'm terrible with coding and IT "techy" things like that. I would have a lot of ideas for new games but would have no idea how to make them into real games.

I've designed and coded websites, but creating games would probably be a totally different process. Video games are totally interactive, so I guess you would have to learn about scripting languages. I have to admit that the idea of developing games for a living sounds like a dream job.

I would guess you would need a huge amount of coding ability, artistry ability, and good ideas! Haha, the coding would be the hardest I actually saw part of what goes into a game. It is a lot.

That's cool that you got to see part of what goes into a game, I bet that was interesting. Although I know it's probably not very similar, I took a computer programming class in college once. I did reasonably well, but it was much more challenging than I expected it to be. I really respect people who are in these fields, I'm sure it takes a lot of talent and hard work.

I think you need an advanced college degree in computer programming to be a video game designer. I don't know what language(s) video games are written in, but you probably need to know more than one to really make yourself marketable. Also, you probably need some background in art for the design end of it. When you think about how much goes into making a video game come to life, it's easier to justify the $50 price tags they put on them!

I had several programming classes in college. You would be surprised at the amount of code needed for even a simple interactive program. I vaguely remember things like endless loops and if/then statements. It's been awhile! I can only imagine how much coding would be involved in a complex video game.

Back