Best digital game distributor?

Medza

As well know, Steam was the pioneer of digital game sales, but in this day and age there are tonnes of different distributors: gamefly , gamersgate, greenmangaming , desura , good old games and so on and so forth. Whilst I do love steam and it's huge sales I must say that I like some of the others too. GMG has a really good customer service, once I bought a game and only afterwards I realised that I could have used a code to get some discount, so I emailed them and they returned the difference in store credit which was very nice of them. Also they let you to trade in some games to get a part of your money back.

GOG also has a lot of great deals and they have a very customer friendly policy - all of their games are totally DRM free, you can download them and install them on all of your machines which is really great, they sometimes even give games away for free, I managed to get the first Fallout game through this way.

I think gamefly also lets you rent games, I've not personally tried it but I have a friend that likes to rent out a game for a weekend , play it through and save a ton of money on a game that he probably wouldn't want to replay anyway.

So what are opinions on the major digital game distributors and which ones are your favourites?

I've not used many but 'Gamefly' I think are actually very good and that is based on one thing. I bought COD4 about3 years ago when gamefly was called something else like Direct2Drive. This year I sold my consoles to buy a camera and had nothing to game on but my PC. I decided to look up direct2drive and found out it had closed and been taken over by Gamefly (I think). However, to my great surprise I was still able to use my old login details and re-download my copy of COD!

I was amazed to say the least and very very pleased.

I also have Steam which, has proved to be very reliable as well but, I don't like that you have to launch steam to access your games once they're installed and run them through the steam client.

I still say Steam is the best. They have most games (exceptions usually being games released by competing digital distributors, like Origin, but there's still few exceptions) and they usually have some very nice sales going on (like the current Summer Sale).

It also has some really nice features like Big Picture which makes the Steam client useable with a gamepad, for example.

Dunno much about others, though. All I know is that Green Man Gaming sucks unless you're just buying Steam keys from them and that GOG is pretty good because of what OP has said (all games are DRM free)

I would also have to say that Steam is currently the shining star in computer game distribution for a few simple reasons.

1. While you may have to launch the games to play Steam it's not all that bad considering it's mostly just an overlay while you're playing and it only shows up if you shift+tab while playing the game.
2. It's one of the easiest ways to get games and to get them at a cheaper price than retail since they have daily/weekly sales and then they have their two large sales during summer and christmas time.
3. It adds some extra to the games such as a few games have "workshop" which is basically you being able to install things like mods incredibly easy without having to use another program.

Although GOG is also pretty good when it comes to older games or if you want DRM free games so check that one out.

Back