Votes: 1 33.3%

Votes: 1 33.3%

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 - Not worth playing

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

kevin

Contributor
Below you can find the reviews for Borderlands. If you have any questions that the reviews didn't answer, start a new thread on the forum. Played the game already? Rate it above and tell us why you did or didn’t like it. Better yet, write your own user review!

8.8 out of 10 - IGN
Read the full review here: Direct Link
It's something action role-playing game fans looking for an experience more up-close and brutal than genre entries of the third-person variety should have a blast with, and one of the more memorable products of 2009.

8.5 out of 10 - Game Spot
Fun combat and a steady flow of rewards make this journey a massively enjoyable one, especially with some fellow mercenaries along for the ride.

8 out of 10 - Wired
Borderlands‘ story is paper-thin, a dollop of flavor draped over compelling gameplay.

I agree with Wired's review. The maps are just massive and this is a fun game that you can play for hours. What really got me hooked on playing was when I saw the gameplay videos on youtube. Borderlands is cool, but Borderlands 2 has way better graphics so I recommend that one over this version.

I love the art style for this game. Although some people may argue that it has an anime feel to it, I think that is irrelevant. I feel like the art style of this game and the animations of the character make it FUN.

I thought Borderlands had a lot of potential, but ultimately failed because of all the psychological ploys they packed into the game to keep people playing. Obviously this is an unpopular opinion, though, judging from the sales numbers.

I hate any game that doesn't give me my experience reward right away when I finish a quest. I killed the enemies, I got the thing, I freed the girl, and I should not have to go back and "turn in" my quest to get anything but the money and/or item. I also hated going back and forth doing quests for the same people over and over. Every person seemed to have an endless list of stuff for me to do and by the time I got to the bottom of it I was ready to use some of the guns I had picked up to take the quest giver out in a blaze of glory. Going back and forth like that is an addiction strategy used by MMO's to make you turn in a quest and then immediately afterwords see the little "quest available" exclamation point on top of someone's head so that you say to yourself "ok, just one more quest". Knowing this and seeing it in a game like this (a third-person shooter rpg) just kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

I suppose Borderlands is also all about the multiplayer, which I didn't indulge much in. I suppose it could be argued that I didn't get the full experience then, and that may be true, but single player should still at least provide some entertainment value.

I did, however, really like all the different guns and their strange elemental effects. Finding a really cool gun with an extra lightning damage modifier always made my heart flutter. But it was always a hard decision when I found a better gun without the cool lightening effect on it.

Last edited:
Back