Can't see XBL friend online and vice versa

KJ27703

Hi, I am brand new to this community, because I can't find anywhere else online to ask a detailed question about a problem with the Xbox Live friends' list. Reddit won't let me post due to "low karma." Microsoft support sends me to a bot that has no idea what I am asking.

I have spent nearly two hours googling this problem and trying to use suggestions I found, but it has not worked so far. To explain my situation:

I have an Xbox Series X. My friend has an Xbox Series S.
I have Xbox Live Gold. My friend has Xbox Live Silver.
We have played together in the past. He does not use his Xbox much, and we have not done any Xbox live play with each other since 2021.
Today, our Xboxes are on the same wifi network (he is at my house) so I can easily check settings on both machines.
We both see one or more other friends online, but we cannot see each other online.

Also, it just says "offline", not "last seen X days ago" or anything like that.

Things I have tried:
Confirm he is not set to appear offline - he is not, nor am I
Unfriending/refriending
Hard reset of both Xboxes
Toggle profile access on his Xbox from "friends" to "everybody" (mine was already on "everybody")
Reset MAC and reboot
Confirm NAT is open on both machines

The only idea I have seen online that I have not tried yet is deleting and re-adding profiles to our machines.

Before I do that, I thought I would ask for other ideas. I am suspicious that it may have something to do with being on the same wifi.

Bandwidth is not an issue, we are both able to get online and play games and we do both see other XBL friends online.

Thanks for any suggestions!

This is bizarre. Being on the same WiFi should not stop two accounts on two different machines from seeing each other. Your privacy settings seem correct, so that's probably not the issue.

You could try deleting and re-adding profiles as a last resort. Be aware that this may require re-downloading your profile and game saves, make sure you have everything backed up.

Did you figure this out? The common denominator is that you would both be on the same public IP provided by your ISP. I wonder if that is the issue.

Back