Connection issue driving me nuts

roypeled

Hi, and deepest thanks to any who can help.

This issue with an XBOX S.

The situation:
The console is connected to the internet through wired connection. The network testing results in "It's all good". Also, there is clearly a good connection since I can go to "my apps" open Edge browser there and surf the web as I please. Also, I just updated Fortnite and it downloaded the 1.3GB in good time.

BUT

Whenever I try to launch a game or an app other than Edge or the Microsoft store, I get the "Check your network" message, asking the I test the connection (which as I mentioned, turns out fine). It ends with err code 0x80072ee2.

I've tried everything including moving to different networks, wired and wireless and resetting the console altogether (keeping apps and games). I've contacted support which tried a bunch of things as manually entering the IP details, clearing alternate Mac address, manually entering new DNS servers. Nothing worked. They suggested vaguely that I try playing with portforwarding. That's a bit tricky in my setting, haven't tried so far but honestly I doubt it will work.

A potentially important piece of information until recently the setting was such that the XBox was connected to a Mi android TV Box. I removed that (needed elsewhere, not available anymore) and connected the XBox S as mentioned with an ethernet cable (but also tried wireless, all with the same frustrating results).

S/he who solves this is my kids' saint.

Thanks,

Roy

Firstly, I am curious, are you able to take in Xbox OS updates?

That error is not unique to Xboxes as many people have experienced the error code 0x80072ee2 on both Windows 10 and 11. Microsoft states,
"Try the download again. The connection was lost during download." - 'This means that the operation has timed out.'

If it was only happening on the wired connection I would say and the length of the cable matters for the quality of the cable is check the cable and make sure it is at least a CAT 5E cable but if a really long distance a CAT 6 cable could help, but you said it happens with WIFI as well so it's most likely not the cable unless the WIFI signal is too weak. Then it could be needing a cable and a better WIFI signal. I bet that's not it though.

I know you tried resetting the xbox to factory but kept the games and apps but did you try clearing the software cache by this method?
'If you’re connected, reboot the console by pressing and holding the Xbox button to open the Power Center, and then selecting Restart console.'

That's one way to solve some issues when the games and app software cache has corruption.

Firstly, I am curious, are you able to take in Xbox OS updates?

That error is not unique to Xboxes as many people have experienced the error code 0x80072ee2 on both Windows 10 and 11. Microsoft states,
"Try the download again. The connection was lost during download." - 'This means that the operation has timed out.'

If it was only happening on the wired connection I would say and the length of the cable matters for the quality of the cable is check the cable and make sure it is at least a CAT 5E cable but if a really long distance a CAT 6 cable could help, but you said it happens with WIFI as well so it's most likely not the cable unless the WIFI signal is too weak. Then it could be needing a cable and a better WIFI signal. I bet that's not it though.

I know you tried resetting the xbox to factory but kept the games and apps but did you try clearing the software cache by this method?
'If you’re connected, reboot the console by pressing and holding the Xbox button to open the Power Center, and then selecting Restart console.'

That's one way to solve some issues when the games and app software cache has corruption.
Thanks for your reply.

I updated Fortnite, and that went well. The OS is on auto update and it shows it's up to date.

From what I see, when I reset the console, keeping games and apps, it should have wiped out the cache. Anyhow, tried restarting from the power center, at no avail :(

Just to update - I went ahead and did a FULL reset, wiping out accounts, games, apps, everything. Restarted the console, the OS updated, I downloaded FC24, which a little under an hour for the full 44GB, and still... same issue. :(

Wow, that's crazy. So basically, you can't play any games or run any apps but the Edge browser still? So, no difference at all?
Do you have any other game systems to test with? I assume cell phones, computers, TVs, Roku's or other devices all work as expected when using games and apps when plugged into the same exact ethernet cable and or WIFI, right?

Indeed, can still still browse edge but not run any game/app. Can't say I systematically tested other devices but don't seem to have any problem with apps on the Chromecast for instance. Also, I tried the Xbox on my cellular hotspot, so totally different network, and no change.

Only thing I can think of, but I'm really no expert on this, is somethings wrong in the communication between the console and the Xbox servers.

Thanks for persisting with me. Grateful for any further thoughts.

Roy

Do you have an older Xbox like an Xbox One, One S or the One X? If you could at least borough a friends Xbox even maybe an Xbox 360 perhaps, then you can determine is the issue is only related to your Xbox Series S or not.
Do you have any friends with an Xbox that you could take your Xbox to their location and see if things change on their network and ISP.

Back