Xbox One CVG: Dead Rising 3 to feature procedurally generated zombies!

StingerNLG

From
Abingdon, MD.
Website
www.tommytallarico.com
Procedurally generated zombies??? Ok now THAT is damn impressive!

http://www.computerandvideogames.co...edurally-generated-zombies-handcrafted-world/

"You'll never see the same zombie twice," Jones said.

"It's all procedurally generated: hair styles, clothing, colours, textures. And the gore is too: missing jaws, missing eyes... it's all totally dynamic. That's a whole system that we built. We didn't just model the zombies, we had to model the pieces and the system puts them together."

Also, and this is probably something small. But check out this quote:

So we'd try to push all these things, and when we ran into barriers Microsoft would help us with the development kit or even make adjustments to some of the hardware or software to help us achieve what we wanted to do.

Hmmmm.

Yeah, finally. I hope that they have some advance AI mechanics as well like in Dayz.

Now that it finally looks more like a serious zombie game I will probably give it a try. This are awesome news, finally a game with decent zombies although I admit I wouldn't notice if they were missing either a left or a right but still it's really impressive the way games are evolving.

For a while I was really afraid the zombies in DR3 wouldn't give enough challenge, making it more of a slaughter and not enough of a survival game. But after seeing the most recent gameplay and trailer videos it seems some of the lack of survival focus is replaced with overwhelming number of zombies, FAR more than the previous Dead Rising games.

DR3 looks to be a lot of fun and I'm definitely going to play it cooperatively every chance I get.

I don't think that the models are actually procedurally generated. What I think the developer is saying is that there have been tons of different variants of part models created, and an algorithm is used to procedurally generate zombies using a combination of all these different models. Knowing Data Management, the number can be in the trillions or more for each unique style, depending on the number of distinct different model variants. It's still nice to see something like this being introduced into a game, as this is something uncommon for game developers to do due to the large amount of time it takes to model tons of variants.

Yo this is a sweet thing to do! This is a one of a kind feature and im stoked to get this game to check this out. New zombies, muhahah!

Back