Xbox One D4 on Xbox One finally makes the case for Kinect gaming

KN1GHTMARE

Former Moderator
From
NJ
Website
socialclub.rockstargames.com
While this game may not be the best showing of what Kinect gaming brings to the table, nor is the best showing of what the XB1 in general can do, it is great to see Microsoft taking action to develop for its centerpiece peripheral. I, for one, am excited to get my hands on the game just to see what the Kinect can do in terms of refined tech. This maybe a slow start, but a start nonetheless. Make sure to check out the full article for a more in depth analysis.

Action scenes are handled as quick-time events signaled by arrows on the screen, but they often have a more tangible connection to the character's movements than typically seen in other games. The closest comparison is Heavy Rain, which used a traditional controller to similar effect, but D4's physical element could make it much more involving despite both games' limited interaction. It's the difference between opening doors with your hand and making a similar movement on an analog stick.
d4.jpg

Entertaining as these Kinect-powered action scenes appear, they won’t be for everyone. But those who found the previous generation of Microsoft’s sensor technology disappointing may take to the Xbox One’s implementation a little easier. Even D4's high-octane action scenes are possible to control sitting down, thanks to the new Kinect's improved skeletal recognition, and Swery says the game will also be playable with a regular controller. You probably won't want to do that, though — as someone who owns a Kinect and has found little use for it, I thought D4 looked like a blast. It might not be the deepest next-gen experience out there, but that likely won't matter to many if the controls work and the plot is as endearingly bizarre as Deadly Premonition.

d43.jpg

Source: The Verge

Well, it doesn't look like my typical type of game, I will probably still buy it to support the technology. I will have to read about it in even more detail, though. I hope it's more like L.A. Noire in storyline, that would have been great with Kinect 2.

But it also says you can just use a gamepad for the whole thing, so there is that.
And thank god, i didn't want to be forced wit hthe kinect just because it's a swery game.

This is certainly interesting to hear... but goodness I don't know what I think of the graphics. It just looks odd to me - also quicktime? QTE is not something I'm particularly fond of to be perfectly honest, and that's completely ignoring that this is a Dead Rising game... so how does the Kinect function in terms of constructing adhoc weapons? Or are we expected to do that with a controller? Because if I'm using the controller anyway - I'll probably just stick with it for consistency sake.

I think that this sounds like it would be much better for Kinect users. I do have to say, however, that it's encouraging that the gamepad can be used as well. I like it when there is a second option on how to do something just in case one way works better than the other.

This is certainly interesting to hear... but goodness I don't know what I think of the graphics. It just looks odd to me - also quicktime? QTE is not something I'm particularly fond of to be perfectly honest, and that's completely ignoring that this is a Dead Rising game... so how does the Kinect function in terms of constructing adhoc weapons? Or are we expected to do that with a controller? Because if I'm using the controller anyway - I'll probably just stick with it for consistency sake.

You aren't even in the right thread man. This isn't Dead Rising.

While the gamepad is an option, I can't imagine them putting this much into Kinect for it not to be the better experience. I also don't get having a Kinect, a game made for it and still wanting to exclusively use the controller. Curiosity would force me to try using Kinect to test out the benefits and features.

GameInformer just did a great article about it and why you really should use the Kinect over the controller for this game:

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/d4/b/xboxone/archive/2013/09/21/d4-tgs2013-preview.aspx

Keeping The Kinect Fun

I'm not a big fan of the Kinect, so I was a bit worried when I heard this was a Kinect game. While D4 does offer the option to play with the controller, the game is created around Kinect, so much so it feels like it'd be a disservice to play it with a controller. Swery 65 even said he prefers you play the game with the Kinect. I actually could see the enhancement of the Kinect, it brings you right into the moment and none of the controls seem gimmicky. Searching for clues and actually being able to reach your hand out to touch or raise objects just seems natural. Even the voice commands find their place, as you say the phrase you want when prompted with choices. You raise your points by choosing the response that best fits the character. The game is casual and doesn't make you overdo any of its motion controls, which gets you involved but at a leisurely level.

That's good enough for me.

Huh? This isn't a Dead Rising game. Read the source article for more information on D4, it does not stand for Dead Rising 4 lol

Back