Original Xbox Did anyone have any real issues with the Xbox Original?

Esperahol

I know I had some friends who gave up on the console because of issues regarding lag or glitches. I personally think they just had bad luck, but considering the 360's well-documented issues I have to ask. My Xbox was fine, and may still be fine if I could be bothered to actually dig it out of the closet... That ain't never going to happen, the Thing-That-Lives-There wouldn't like it and after so much accumulated dust... it probably wouldn't be worth the effort. Anyway anecdotal evidence or anything?

Now that I think about it, I do remember having a few technical issues with my origional Xbox console. Almost every new game that I bought, when I would try to play it, it would say that the disk was dirty and or damaged, and to check and make sure that it was a Xbox disk, which they all were! Another technical problem that I had, was that it would overheat. I always took good care of it, and made sure the vents were free and clear of dust, but for some reason it would overheat after about thirty minutes of gameplay.

Last edited:
Well I never actually owned one but my brother did and I played his often. From what I remember, we never had any major issues with the console. The console always worked pretty fine whenever we used it and if I'm not mistaken the console worked great all the way until my brother sold it. Really wish I could say the same for the Xbox 360 when it was first released. RROD was pretty annoying for a few years.

Okay so far it seems like both I and my friends are correct - the system is overall fine, but may act up depending on the particular unit. That said I have to agree with Bruce in that overall the Xbox was a less persnickety product than the 360 although I never had the RROD issue. I did get faked out on it once, but luckily that was the false RROD I received.

I've never had an issue with any of my original Xbox units. I had some of them for four or five years at a stretch. I did go through two different Xbox 360s before finally getting one that didn't explode every time I wanted to play a game. Honestly, that sent me over to the PS3 for several years. I picked up another 360 online for cheap and its been with me ever since.

We didn't own an original, only the 360. However, my brother and my cousin both had the originals and never had problems. They just moved onto the newer console after it had been out for a bit.

Back