Xbox One Digital & Disc Games Confirmed for Release Day Launches

Damnlag

Website
www.youtubegaming.com
Today, Microsoft released a ton of information regarding the Xbox One. They have confirmed that games for Xbox One will be available at Retail stores in disc format and Online in the Marketplace as a Digital Download on Release day.

Buy the way you want—disc or digital—on the same day: You’ll be able to buy disc-based games at traditional retailers or online through Xbox Live, on day of release.

Also some bizarre unexpected news that confirms rumors, you will not need a disc to play games after installing it. After signing in and installing, you can play any of your games from any Xbox One because a digital copy of your game is stored on your console and in the cloud. So, for example, while you are logged in at your friend's house, you can play your games.

"While a persistent connection is not required, Xbox One is designed to verify if system, application or game updates are needed and to see if you have acquired new games, or resold, traded in, or given your game to a friend. Games that are designed to take advantage of the cloud may require a connection."

Share access to your games with everyone inside your home: Your friends and family, your guests and acquaintances get unlimited access to all of your games. Anyone can play your games on your console--regardless of whether you are logged in or their relationship to you.

Give your family access to your entire games library anytime, anywhere: Xbox One will enable new forms of access for families. Up to ten members of your family can log in and play from your shared games library on any Xbox One. Just like today, a family member can play your copy of Forza Motorsport at a friend’s house. Only now, they will see not just Forza, but all of your shared games. You can always play your games, and any one of your family members can be playing from your shared library at a given time.

Trade-in and resell your disc-based games: Today, some gamers choose to sell their old disc-based games back for cash and credit. We designed Xbox One so game publishers can enable you to trade in your games at participating retailers. Microsoft does not charge a platform fee to retailers, publishers, or consumers for enabling transfer of these games.

Give your games to friends: Xbox One is designed so game publishers can enable you to give your disc-based games to your friends. There are no fees charged as part of these transfers. There are two requirements: you can only give them to people who have been on your friends list for at least 30 days and each game can only be given once.

Ugh, seriously, why are they pulling all of this limitation crap? Only 10 family members, only being able to give your game to one of your friends, one which has to be in your friend list for at least 30 days before... who is seriously looking at all this stupid ideas and thinking to himself "yeah, this is a great idea!"?

Ugh, seriously, why are they pulling all of this limitation crap? Only 10 family members, only being able to give your game to one of your friends, one which has to be in your friend list for at least 30 days before... who is seriously looking at all this stupid ideas and thinking to himself "yeah, this is a great idea!"?

Pretty obvious answer to that question: Money. Less people to share the game with means more sales for them.

I honestly think that 10 people is enough though. How many times have you actually lent someone a game, and how many people did you lend it to? Chances are, you won't be sharing your library with more than 5 people. 10 is a good enough amount, and I'm satisfied with that.

I agree that there's no good reason for the limitations that doesn't have anything to do with money. When they announce these things, they say it in a way that makes it sound like they're doing us a favor, which I find highly insulting. Making people pay more money for something that may or may not even be much better than what's available now is a pretty poor way to say thanks to the millions of people who have spent their hard-earned money on your product over the years.

The Digital download available on release is a very good thing. Now as for some of the other things... ugh. Only able to give a game away to your friend once... well it's better than nothing I suppose. What I really don't like is the inability to resell your games though ebay or just straight up say to your buddy, "hey I'll sell you this game for 30 bucks" and I hope Sony chooses a different path or else this will certainly be the norm.

I hear you dude. Not being able to straight up swap or trade with other people will be the downfall of the gaming community I reckon.
Gaming has always thrived because of the ability to buy 2nd hand, trade and swap. Its thanks to those options that we've still got Pokemon cartridges on Ebay and N64 games that we never had in our childhood now available to us.
Its a sad time for gaming and the human race in general when the recurring accumulation of wealth is put above fundamental lessons we're taught as children, like sharing in my opinion.

Back