Xbox 360 Do any of you play games competitively?

TeHDruiD

I want to preface this by saying I've been a successful Madden tournament player for 3 years now. It's my passion and it's always nice to make good money doing something you love. It takes a lot of hard work and practice, but the reward is great if you commit to it.

So I ask, are any of you competitive gamers? Do you play in tournaments on sites like Virgin Gaming and Gamer Saloon? Also I'd like to know what game/games you play competitively and how much time and effort you put into being the best player you can possibly be

I put in at least 20 hours a week on Madden. It spans from memorizing playbooks, creating unique coverages, finding what plays beat what coverages, understanding how certain routes pull defenders away from areas all the way up to finding the fastest blitzes possible. I work a full time job, so I don't get to put as much time into it as I'd like to, but 20 hours a week is quite a bit.

I have never played competitively myself, but I used to host Madden tournaments. The guys that were in them that did good put a ton of work into it. They would practice a minimum of 20 hours a week, but most of them more. They did most of their practicing online so they could play against other people on their level. They'd all pick on their friends for sucking so they would never practice with them.

I've never played competitively in the sense of weekly tournaments or anything like that, but I have often started online dynasties with friends on NCAA. Just about every year. I used to play Madden online and had a really good record. Never played for money either.

I can barely play competitively against the AI, but I will admit that I got back into video games because of Madden. I wanted to get on the Madden bus! It just looked like it would be a good time.

Madden can be played competitively?
Well, i never played competitively, so i would never know about these kinds of things, but isn't that game basically a chart consulting game?

I tried to get good at Super Smash Bros Melee, because any time I watched a pro work his magic I was absolutely entranced. I did a lot of practicing by myself, just mastering the movements in general. I got stuck in the awful purgatory where I was better than all of my friends and worse than all the people that went to tournaments. My stint on the competitive scene tapered off from there. But I would love to get good at the new Smash Bros when it comes out. Having an equal starting point with everyone else on the learning curve could lead to some decent success.

I also tried to get good at NHL13 but I had a hard enough time scoring goals against computer goalies, so that pipe dream went nowhere quickly.

I'm generally not a competitive player, however if there is something nearby that I can claim at least some proficiency at then I'll give it a try. I prefer FPS to Sports and Fighting to FPS. I've placed several times and won a couple, but I'm just not really into the competitive scene - and not just because I give all that sort of focus to cosplaying.

Well, i never played competitively, so i would never know about these kinds of things, but isn't that game basically a chart consulting game?

At first glance, it would look like that, but you have to know the playbook like the back of your hand, so after you've studied, you will know which plays on both offense and defense that you want to call up for each situation and in that regards, it's like you are playing a real football game.

On the surface I see exactly what you're saying, but so much more goes into it. You play unlimited money games daily on VirginGaming.com and in order to win the games, typically you have to be amongst the best players in the world. It's about learning what plays work best, building schemes around those plays and evolving your game as your competition evolves. You'd be surprised how much tournament players evolve over the span of a year. We're talking hundreds of schemes and all of this in an effort to show up to the Madden Challenge with what you think is the best possible offensive and defensive schemes to beat everyone. 1st place gets $140,000 so it's a lot of trial and error throughout the year in order to show up to the main event with something you think can win it all for you

I know that sounds confusing, but Madden is unique to other games in the sense that different offensives come around all the time. I could play 10 different games, and I'm never going to see the same thing, so I have to continue to evolve as a player through tireless practice to make sure I'm prepared for something unique.

Also many businesses hold big cash tournaments each year where the best players gather and play for upwards of $10,000, so you need to be on top of your game. So like I said, while on the surface it sounds simple, it's actually very time consuming and you have to put the work in to get better or else the guy who did will beat you. Their is just so much that goes into it, from creating your offense, to learning your reads from within that offense, to reading the defense and understanding how players are going to react to certain route combos. Their is just a lot more to it than you'd think

I dont usually play things competitively but one thing ive noticed is that RTS games and MOBA's can make me really competitive. Im not sure what it is that does it, but they just make me want to win really bad. Another gamingthing that can make me competitive is games that involve dueling of some kind or 1v1s. Lately ive been getting back into Star Wars Jedi Knights: Jedi Academy on the PC since i played it a ton as a child and pretty much everyone you fight in multiplayer is in a duel. It makes me want to get better at it since it clearly takes a lot of skill to get good at and its just a really fun kind of competitive nature.

Usually only if I play games that FPS or MOBA like Call of Duty or Halo or League of Legends or something. Lol I can get pretty heated if I lose or am losing in one of those games and I have been known to rage XP!

The closest competitive game I've ever played for a game would be getting 'server first' achievement lol .My brother however,played joined dota competition in our city. It started as an 'internet cafes competition' and he just kept winning to the point where him and his team got send to the capital city to compete. He won third place which was about 50 dollars each person and a year of playing free in the internet cafe for representing the place.

After watching Dota 2 tournament and saw how 'Alliance' won millions of dollars from playing game,I wish I were that good ;o

I played Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 competitively in League Play. It can get pretty serious once you get a high rank. I enjoyed it for the most part, but I raged countless times.

I don't play competitively, but I wish I could. I want to enter a Call Of Duty MLG tournament. They pay alot of money and I like playing FPS games such as Call Of Duty. Although i'm not sure, some people make MLG look really bad.

I guess it depends how you define "competitively" but I've played both World of Warcraft (Arenas/Rated BGs/Raiding) and League of Legends (Solo queue) to a pretty high level and would take it very seriously/competitively.

I've been trying to break into the local competitive fighting game scene with Skullgirls, Persona 4 Arena and BlazBlue but the scene is small and tournaments are rare so... yeah...

I was in an amateur halo 3 team, we did a few tournaments but never won anything big. Lately I've been thinking about getting into the fighter scene as well but I gotta put some more hours into the dojos before I think I'd be ready for some higher level play

When I was in college I played Unreal and King of Fighters competitively in our league. Never played professionally of course, but we did have money pots up.

Back