Xbox One Do Indie Games Matter?

KN1GHTMARE

Former Moderator
From
NJ
Website
socialclub.rockstargames.com
What say you? Do you think indie games will play a strong role in console gaming this generation or are they only important for PC gaming? How do you personally feel? Do you enjoy playing indies?

IMO I think that they will have the same roll as last time lol Yes we will get those amazingng, unique, Indie games but that will be it lol. I think the big AAA titles will matter more. Indie developers may get more of a foot in the industry but thats about it. Thats my opion though

IMO I think that they will have the same roll as last time lol Yes we will get those amazingng, unique, Indie games but that will be it lol. I think the big AAA titles will matter more. Indie developers may get more of a foot in the industry but thats about it. Thats my opion though

I feel like with the big spread of indies int he last 2 years, the casual gamer may align themselves with the console with better indie access. I love indie titles. Games like Hotline Miami, Cart Life, and Rogue Legacy are GREAT!

I feel like with the big spread of indies int he last 2 years, the casual gamer may align themselves with the console with better indie access. I love indie titles. Games like Hotline Miami, Cart Life, and Rogue Legacy are GREAT!

They are great for time wasters for me but games like "Fart Machine 2033 or fire place 2" need to stay out lol. That is why I was for MSFT havinhg a more strict policy on indies before they changed it.

Seeing how i have a PSVita and it doesn't have that many games, and those that exist are 80% indie, it's not like i got much of a choice. Not that they are bad, i just hoped that would release some first party titles, it's not they are lacking IPs to do it.

Seeing how i have a PSVita and it doesn't have that many games, and those that exist are 80% indie, it's not like i got much of a choice. Not that they are bad, i just hoped that would release some first party titles, it's not they are lacking IPs to do it.

Your right, that is a VERY good example.

Yes, indie games matter. Self-publishing is sometimes the only route for some people to get recognition for doing what they love, and indie games are no different. It's amazing what some of these developers can do with shoestring budgets.

Unfortunately, most financial backers value what will sell over what is the most imaginative. Some games would have never existed without creative independence.

bifftape;27496[COLOR="#0000FF" said:
]Yes, indie games matter[/COLOR]. Self-publishing is sometimes the only route for some people to get recognition for doing what they love, and indie games are no different. It's amazing what some of these developers can do with shoestring budgets.

Unfortunately, most financial backers value what will sell over what is the most imaginative. Some games would have never existed without creative independence.

I think from a BIG industry standpoint it doesn't THAT much. I think you have to have a lot of good ones before you start making it big. Its like a documentary I saw about film writing. This guy made the story for a huge movie, made a lot of money, but that was it. Never saw anyhtng again. All his stories have gone straight to DVD only movies because the Movie industry still looked at him as a newcomer and don't want to spend any time or money on him. They want to know you have the background of making many good games. Not just one.

I think you have to consider how hard both Sony and Microsoft are trying to win Indie devs over. That shows they absolutely matter. Microsoft changed their entire program to better serve indies.

Yes, indie games matter. Self-publishing is sometimes the only route for some people to get recognition for doing what they love, and indie games are no different. It's amazing what some of these developers can do with shoestring budgets.

I'm of the same mindset...they definitely matter. And I could see them gaining a little strength in the near future, but I wouldn't expect miracles.

Of course they matter - as with most things everyone was indie until they were big. Besides which without someone trying to do something different you end up with the COD backlash or the apathy regarding zombies. You need someone who wants to do Journey or Braid or Shadow of the Colossus or the like. People are bored and like Jack Skelleton they want something besides the same old thing - so you have Sony opening their arms wide to indie dev and Microsoft following suit. I think this generation will be the testing period, depending on how well it all goes we'll probably see a sort of blossoming or we'll see a withering. I hope for good things.

I think from a BIG industry standpoint it doesn't THAT much. I think you have to have a lot of good ones before you start making it big. Its like a documentary I saw about film writing. This guy made the story for a huge movie, made a lot of money, but that was it. Never saw anyhtng again. All his stories have gone straight to DVD only movies because the Movie industry still looked at him as a newcomer and don't want to spend any time or money on him. They want to know you have the background of making many good games. Not just one.
Maybe the guy should have wrote a sequel lol. Seriously though, sequels are a result of what you're describing -- people would rather invest in what has proven to be good before instead of taking a chance. From a big industry standpoint, they see the revenue from the last Call of Duty game and desire the same result. An easy way to achieve the same result is to do the same thing.

From an artistic standpoint though, those chances need to be taken. If you could choose, would you rather walk the same road as many before you, or be the one who steps outside the well-trodden paths in search of new ones? You may never find another road and get forever lost searching for it, but you are the one who took the risk, and you are the one who might reap the rewards. Indie games matter because they sought the new ground instead of occupying the old one. They don't have that factor of corporate dilution stifling their ingenuity. These games are needed to keep the art moving in fresh directions.

Maybe the guy should have wrote a sequel lol. Seriously though, sequels are a result of what you're describing -- people would rather invest in what has proven to be good before instead of taking a chance. From a big industry standpoint, they see the revenue from the last Call of Duty game and desire the same result. An easy way to achieve the same result is to do the same thing.

From an artistic standpoint though, those chances need to be taken. If you could choose, would you rather walk the same road as many before you, or be the one who steps outside the well-trodden paths in search of new ones? You may never find another road and get forever lost searching for it, but you are the one who took the risk, and you are the one who might reap the rewards. Indie games matter because they sought the new ground instead of occupying the old one. They don't have that factor of corporate dilution stifling their ingenuity. These games are needed to keep the art moving in fresh directions.

Good post. But taking new paths? We all see how that went when MSFT tried that new path.....No one wanted it. Im not saying they dont matter at all, its just like the other commentor said, on page one, they will gather strength but not much. Its a slow road. But that is the truth like you said. Companys would rather get the same outcome of CoD sales over and over again then try something new and not want people to take it. Like I was telling Knight earlier, PS4 has like 15 indie games at launch, but do you think that will matter when the regular gamer is at that shelf in best buy looking at the games he doesnt see? No he will look for what he knows and is comfortable with. There are few people like us on this forum that like indie games, dont ge tme wrong, i love them, but i dont think to the masses.

I am one of the gamers who really didn't pay much attention to indie games. Although I did get hooked on some crop harvesting games for days on end. To me it was ususally some avatar game or zombies. The few other ones I played maybe lasted an hour. So I don't think it will amount to anything spectacular b.ut I do hope that you indie lovers have fun with it

I am one of the gamers who really didn't pay much attention to indie games. Although I did get hooked on some crop harvesting games for days on end. To me it was ususally some avatar game or zombies. The few other ones I played maybe lasted an hour. So I don't think it will amount to anything spectacular b.ut I do hope that you indie lovers have fun with it

See thats what I mean. For me, and you and others they are kinda like time wasters for me, but some i play a long time, like LIMBO or Braid. But other than that I also hope they get some good praise.

Yes, of course. In today's environment, we're not going to see $60 big budget games pushing the envelope as far as innovation. It is just way too expensive to risk it being a failure. Indie games fill that role perfectly. Devs can throw ideas out there and see what sticks.

If someone pitched the idea behind Minecraft to me years ago I'd have laughed at them, but look at it now. You can't always predict what game will work or not.

See thats what I mean. For me, and you and others they are kinda like time wasters for me, but some i play a long time, like LIMBO or Braid. But other than that I also hope they get some good praise.
Are these games you listed arcade games?I enjoy alot of arcade games

Yes, of course. In today's environment, we're not going to see $60 big budget games pushing the envelope as far as innovation. It is just way too expensive to risk it being a failure. Indie games fill that role perfectly. Devs can throw ideas out there and see what sticks.

If someone pitched the idea behind Minecraft to me years ago I'd have laughed at them, but look at it now. You can't always predict what game will work or not.

I think making an indie game on PC is ALOT less expensive then trying to push it on a console. I think lol

I guess I was thinking of the actual Indie page on the marketplace. I do like a few Arcade games though. Not sure why MS splits Indie and Arcade if the are develooed by Indie people.

Back