Xbox 360 Do you Install your games?

YamiPrem

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone else HATES the booming noise the console makes when using the disc while running a game. I have to install any new game I get before playing. The HDD size is not unlimited, so I do find myself deleting old game data that I don't play anymore. No biggie usually.

I installed some of my games. But after awhile, I had stopped doing that. Hard drive space is starting to become hard to come by for me. So, I can't really go around installing my games anymore. I'd rather use that space for actual game downloads and shows. Plus to be honest, I never noticed much of an improvement regardless. And if the improvement in performance really is there, it's so small that I could care less.

I have never noticed a loud noise while running a disc. At least not any noise different than running a DVD or Blu Ray in a similar device. I don't install my games, I always run them from the disc. The only games that are installed on my device are the ones that were purchased directly from the LIVE marketplace.

I installed one game when that option first came up, realized I still needed the disk so I never did it again

I only install the ones I play really frequently. They tend to eventually get scratched up and stop working but not if they're installed :).

I installed one game when that option first came up, realized I still needed the disk so I never did it again

Yeah, I don't get this generation with the ridiculous installing. If you're installing, the disc shouldn't be needed in the system anymore. Instead, it's for " performance" updates that the average person will hardly ever notice anyway.

I totally understand why you still need the disc to play even after you install the disc. Otherwise, what would stop every person from renting a game and installing it, only to return it or pass it to another friend, who would install the game, etc. and nobody would buy the game, which would make the industry collapse. Even on future-gen systems, unless it's digital content that is locked to your system or username, you'll continue to need the disc.

As for installing the games when you get them, yes. I install most of the games that we are currently playing at my house. Especially ones like Borderlands 2, Halo 4, Assassin's Creed 3 and Black Ops 2 when it comes out. I know we will be playing those a lot and it's much easier on your Xbox to not have to continuously read the disc. As for hard drive space being a concern, just go into your hard drive saves and delete the installs of games that you're no longer really playing to make room for others. It's not like you can't pop the disc in and play it again anytime you want. Or even re-install it down the road, for that matter.

I totally understand why you still need the disc to play even after you install the disc. Otherwise, what would stop every person from renting a game and installing it, only to return it or pass it to another friend, who would install the game, etc. and nobody would buy the game, which would make the industry collapse. Even on future-gen systems, unless it's digital content that is locked to your system or username, you'll continue to need the disc.

As for installing the games when you get them, yes. I install most of the games that we are currently playing at my house. Especially ones like Borderlands 2, Halo 4, Assassin's Creed 3 and Black Ops 2 when it comes out. I know we will be playing those a lot and it's much easier on your Xbox to not have to continuously read the disc. As for hard drive space being a concern, just go into your hard drive saves and delete the installs of games that you're no longer really playing to make room for others. It's not like you can't pop the disc in and play it again anytime you want. Or even re-install it down the road, for that matter.

I guess you do make up a good point. After all, that's part of the reason PC piracy ran rampant in the 90's to the point that now PC games are almost non existent in retail.

I've never had to install the game, however, my Xbox is still pretty new and I've not needed to.
My boyfriend, however, has to install his Oblivion for it to play anymore. It kinda sucks.
I think that's due to the disk, not the Xbox, though.

Like jliehr, I only install the games I play really often. When I finish a game I've been playing for a while I delete it and save the disk space for downloads, for example. Disk space is really important for me and it's a shame to waste it.

I guess you do make up a good point. After all, that's part of the reason PC piracy ran rampant in the 90's to the point that now PC games are almost non existent in retail.
Hmmmmm, I don't even know what do you think of this, for in our retail store there is a whole wall for PC games and a small section for console games.
While i hate piracy – I don't think you should go to the heights of epitame in ignorance and arrogance in order to prevent it! For instance– having to keep using the original disc until it is so scratched hat you have to put out another fifty-five dollars to rebuy a game that you have already bought once. Once is enough.

I do install games though not for the same reason as yours. I just don't trust the durability of the CD and wouldn't be that keen to give the delicate care that CD requires. So, to avert all these, I install the games for security. I also agree that the main challenge to this installation thing is the DHHD Space...Never enough!

No install here. I don't see any reason to do so, honestly.
Sure, the space is available, but I really can't see any benefit to installing the game. When you go to play it, you have to have the disc, anyways,

I don't install them, I have so little disk space I'm even afraid of installing it. Plus, if you take care of your CD's, they won't scratch, so I see no reason why I should bother.

I install them as from the reading ive done the drive on XBOX360 especially first gen like mine are a weak point, anything i can do to help the machine out i will do.
The drives on the first gen machines are kind of noisey too when accesing data, installed to hardrive it only makes a sound once at the begining as it checks disk after that it doesnt use it.

Since I bought my new Xbox, the noise hasn't been an issue. But installing my games could be pretty useful for when I don't feel like walking to insert the disc n.n

I install my games primarily to keep the life of my motor in the disc drive good. I've had a drive or two have the motor die out, which is not fun. We use our Xbox for DVD viewing too, so its running almost every day. If I can cut down on the disc spinning the entire time I'm playing a game, its worth waiting a few minutes for the install.

Always install them, but just because of better loading times and reduced pop-in.

When you have a disc on the drive, instead of pressing A to play it you press X for the game details. Then you pick Install and that's pretty much it.

Back