Do you still play really old games with the same passion?

Craig

Like the question says it, do you still really enjoy playing old games with the same passion you had years ago?
Let me give you an example, I sometimes like to sit at my computer and play Diablo 1 all over again. I think I finished it more than 50 times already but when I play it it reminds me of the good times.

No way, there are so many great games, new games, that came out recently and I have so little time on my hands. Old games are great and all but you know how they say, "been there, done that".

I sometimes play old games to amuse myself and to remind me what technology has done to gaming through the years. I still enjoy myself playing some retro games but I don't play them with the same passion that I play the current generation games. And Craig, you finished Diablo about 50 times??? Let me ask you one question... Why?

I know what the op means, there is a certain joy to be had from nostalgia, but I have in the past started to play and old game full of "oh wow I remember that!" Only to decide after 20mins that there are way better uses of my time now...

I know the feeling. I have finished Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time more times than I can count, and when I'm restless, sometimes the only thing that appeals is sitting at the PC playing Theme Hospital, or the original Sims game. It probably is just sheer nostalgia, but there is something about certain old games you just can't beat! Put it this way, my SNES & N64 get just as much use as my Xbox 360.

Oh yes I do. The only problem is that that passion hasn't helped me to beat these games...I sometimes give up when I'm defeated to move to the next level after a trying for long. Example is the Midtown Madness II

If I could ever find Doom again for my pc again, then I believe I would still play it with the same passion. I just remember playing this all the time when I was in my early 20's and it was the first game that I really did on the pc. You never forget your first.

Thing with Doom is that it's SOOO old.. Here's a flash copy of Doom and it's 2 spin-offs, Hexen and Heretic: http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/470460

Quake3 works online, but it's not very close to Quake 1 : http://www.quakelive.com/

Doom was huge when I was young, but I didn't like the fake 3d, Quake was at least proper 3d.. even if it was software 3d at the start..

I found a GL quake version on the web: http://www.silvergames.com/quake

Heck there's even a version of the Quake 2 demo that can run via HTML5/JS and uses OGG vorbis streaming audio for the sound!
[video=youtube;fyfu4OwjUEI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fyfu4OwjUEI[/video]

It depends on the game. Games like the original Starcraft and Counter Strike are timeless. In my opinion, they will always have a dedicated group of gamers who will keep the communities alive. Outside of those games, I have wayyyyyyy too many games on my backlog to complete before I even think about reliving the good ol days. Also, you can ruin the nostalgia by going back and playing old games. You find out the games actually weren't that good...

I think so, but usually not in the same way. A lot older games are digital now, so I don't have to whip out an old console whenever I want to play something. That makes games a lot more accessible, and even though some games don't age as well as others, there's still the option to play for the sake of nostalgia.

This is a reason why I keep consoles too. I want to play them in the future just for nostalgic memories, and for replay value. There are many PC games which I have quit for about 4-5 years already, and whenever I hear a certain soundtrack, I will instantly remember the good old days of playing the game, and would love to relive the memories.

Well, I sorry to say but I don't. The main reason why I usually play games is to get to the finish with as many accolades as possible. So in case I miss an award or accolade, I will play the same scene over and over again until I achieve that award. Needles to say, when I am playing a game, I can't help but wonder how it will end, so when I finish a given game, the suspense dies with it.

At this point in my life I'm losing passion to go back and play old games that I loved like Quake or World of Warcraft. I did play Diablo 2 a couple months ago with friends but I wasn't having any fun :(

Back