Does anybody choose to own solely Nintendo consoles?

jardantuan

As much as I love Nintendo and their games, I've always seen their consoles as a supplement to the others. While the GameCube, Wii, and soon Wii U all have a good number of strong titles, they aren't enough to fully keep me occupied.

Third party titles never really work on Nintendo consoles - we all know this much by now, having followed the relative disaster that was the Wii U launch. So, despite loving the console, and despite knowing that the games that come out for it will be amongst my favourites of the new generation, I can't not also purchase an Xbox One and/or PS4. Their libraries are pretty mutually exclusive; there won't be any Mario or Zelda on the PS4 or X1, much like there's no Halo or Uncharted for Wii U. I can't opt for just one console, since I love all the games equally.

How about you guys? Anybody have experience as a Nintendo-only user (or any other single console for that matter)?

I have a friend who only has a Wii along with a gaming PC. I suppose it makes sense, since most 360/PS3 games eventually end up having ports, and if you aren't interested in the exclusives there's not much else to them. Wii exclusives are pretty much set to stay like that, unless it's a 3d party game Nintendo never releases their titles elsewhere.

I wish it had more interesting games though. Aside from whatever Zelda remakes, Mario games and SSBB, there aren't any new and interesting games that make use of the Wii's controller. I guess there's Wii sports, but come on.

I have a friend who only has a Wii along with a gaming PC. I suppose it makes sense, since most 360/PS3 games eventually end up having ports, and if you aren't interested in the exclusives there's not much else to them. Wii exclusives are pretty much set to stay like that, unless it's a 3d party game Nintendo never releases their titles elsewhere.

I wish it had more interesting games though. Aside from whatever Zelda remakes, Mario games and SSBB, there aren't any new and interesting games that make use of the Wii's controller. I guess there's Wii sports, but come on.

I wouldn't say that there are a lot of games that use the Wii remote cleverly, but there are plenty of interesting games that are very often overlooked. I can't believe that nobody I know is aware of Xenoblade, and it's quite possibly the best Wii game I've ever played. If you're willing to do a little bit of research you'll find loads of Wii games that are better than a large proportion of PS3/360 games.

I do think that the best way to go is Nintendo and some combination of PC/Xbox/Playstation though. Like you said, it gives you the best coverage of games.

Nintendo's Wii U is actually pretty amazing, they have absolutely everything, their only problem is they absolutely fail at marketing and thus their business failed.

I don't know anyone who just owns a Wii alone. They're fun, but they don't have enough blockbuster titles to have them and them alone.

I own only Nintendo consoles and am generally pretty content. Most of the games I love are first party Nintendo games, so it works out well for me. Admittedly though, there are times last gen when I got burned by owning a Wii and nothing else. The Wii just couldn't support some of the more advanced games. I am hoping the Wii U changes this as it should be able to support most games even if they don't look as good.

I honestly think that anyone that doesn't have anything other than a Nintendo console is insane. They would need an Xbox, Playstation or gaming PC to play most games, Nintendo third-party support is a joke and the only reasons to own Nintendo consoles are the first-party exclusives.

I'm seriously considering going Nintendo/PC in 2014. That seems like the best combo since the multi-platform games end up everywhere (and on occasion on Nintendo consoles while missing modes). I would've gone pure Nintendo, but there are games like InFamous that I would've missed out on.

Back