Double Fine's New Game Get's Funding in Less than a Week

Damnlag

Website
www.youtubegaming.com
1f83f18cd4b89f77b8462997d06b2437_large.jpg

Double Fine announced another game, Massive Chalice, that would be funded by Kickstarter on May 30th and has already had $806,103 pledged of $725,000 goal in less than a week.

Last year Double Fine was trending with its unprecedented crowfunding success for Broken Age. In just over a month, that project earned $3,335,265 even though they only asked for $400,000.

MASSIVE CHALICE is a single player turn-based tactics game within a multi-generational strategy campaign built for replayability.

As an immortal King or Queen, you must unite your kingdom under a powerful dynasty, eliminate the demonic threat, and reforge the MASSIVE CHALICE!

The game is structured into two main layers: strategy and tactics. In the strategy layer, you oversee your kingdom, arrange royal marriages, conduct research, and make the far-reaching decisions that will determine the fate of your legacy.

In the tactics layer, you fight brutal turn-based battles to defend your kingdom using small squads of customizable heroes.

Permadeath is inevitable: your heroes will grow, age, and eventually die. You'll have to choose between keeping your favorite heroes on the battlefield or retiring them from combat to foster a new generation of warriors.

Drawing from roguelikes we love, content is modular and randomized. Each playthrough begins with a random assortment of male and female heroes from various bloodlines, guaranteeing that each game is unique. Your knowledge and skill will increase over multiple playthroughs, but the details of every game will change based on your decisions and the whims of fate.

Double Fine’s goal is for all our teams to remain independent and responsible directly to their players. Kickstarting MASSIVE CHALICE allows us to maintain a pure creative vision, put out updates on our own schedule, respond to feedback without roadblocks, and release it all DRM-free.

Hey, i am always up for a new game from Double Fine (Psychonauts is still one of my favorite games of all time), but i think they should stop asking for so much money. Don't they have any publisher support?

Yeah, I read about this the other day and I've been following their kickstarter. Downright amazing. I love Double Fine--big fan of Costume Quest, Brutal Legend, Psychonauts. I'm extremely excited for Massive Chalice as it sounds so unique. The permadeath and the generational consistency and everything going for it just sounds like a breath of fresh air in a field of games polluted by monotonous, mindless gameplay with infinite saves and replays from a few seconds before your death and so on. I'm a little weary of tactical games after sinking most of my 13th year into Final Fantasy Tactics: Advance, but I'm sure it'll be fun. :]

Damn, that's a lot of money. I've never played any of their games, but I did pick up Psychonauts a while ago, and never played it. I'll eventually get to playing it.

As for the game, it sounds pretty similar to Civ5. Looks like an interesting game since I loved playing Civ 5. Hopefully they even add a multiplayer option.

Hey, i am always up for a new game from Double Fine (Psychonauts is still one of my favorite games of all time), but i think they should stop asking for so much money. Don't they have any publisher support?

You would think that the $3.3 million they were funded for the first game last year would be enough to fund a few more games. I don't see why they ask for a specific amount and it ends up being 10 times that amount by the time the funding starts on kickstarter. Shouldn't it be once the project meets its funding request, all funding is stopped and the project is started?

I would be more supportive of this project if it was released after Doublefine's other kickstarter game... not that I don't trust them with my money but I'd like to see some results first. I don't know, I guess there's nothing really wrong with more Doublefine games.

@Ozadin - Definitely play Psychonauts ASAP. It's really a one of a kind game, simply amazing.

I like Double Fine in general, but I think they need to step up their game. They should be trying to release games with lasting value rather than games that you play once and then forget about. The only thing keeping Brutal Legend from being one of the greatest games of all time was the fact that it was short and had no replay value. There was a lot of potential for adding an arcade mode that would let players replay the strategy-type levels (or new ones), but it was just the short story mode and that's it. Fortunately this new game has a lot of promise, but I can't figure out why they couldn't get funding on their own.

Back